changes to SJFC board

glenrothes saintee

Shocking! :wink:

Just asking because there's a drive on at the moment to get more women into boardrooms, and I think that the Board would benefit from having someone with a different perspective (assuming there are currently no women involved).

Im sure they might book a stripper at their end of season meeting....

Shocking! :wink:

Just asking because there's a drive on at the moment to get more women into boardrooms, and I think that the Board would benefit from having someone with a different perspective (assuming there are currently no women involved).

I appreciate this question leads the way for hundreds of predictable replies like 'the tea's', but here goes anyway...what would a woman bring to the boardroom that a man wouldn't?

Gone off topic a little here me thinks!

Firstly I believe a very positive move by Saints to bring Charlier Fraser onto the board so well done.

Secondly a woman's view would be very useful when it comes to areas like Saints Mum's i.e. families that look after most of the U-19 team during the week

Gone off topic a little here me thinks!

Firstly I believe a very positive move by Saints to bring Charlier Fraser onto the board so well done.

Secondly a woman's view would be very useful when it comes to areas like Saints Mum's i.e. families that look after most of the U-19 team during the week

I think there are probably a few very well respected business women in Perth that would provide assistance to the club. Ann Gloag has a few bob!!

I appreciate this question leads the way for hundreds of predictable replies like 'the tea's', but here goes anyway...what would a woman bring to the boardroom that a man wouldn't?

Studies on the make up of board rooms have shown that companies with some female presence outperform those that are male dominated. Essentially it gives your board room a wider range of experiences and perspective which will help in decision making and opportunity spotting. It also makes a company less likely to go bust.

Here's a recent Government review (page 7-9 is the most relevant):

http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/biscore/business-law/docs/w/11-745-women-on-boards.pdf

Studies on the make up of board rooms have shown that companies with some female presence outperform those that are male dominated. Essentially it gives your board room a wider range of experiences and perspective which will help in decision making and opportunity spotting. It also makes a company less likely to go bust.

Here's a recent Government review (page 7-9 is the most relevant):

http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/biscore/business-law/docs/w/11-745-women-on-boards.pdf

I don't trust anything that has the word Government involved in it, no matter which Government it is. They will produce whatever is needed to back up their agenda and from skimming that report I see nothing to change my opinion.

FTSE 100 boards. 87.5% men. 12.5% women. Very interesting. That says to me if you wan't to be one of the country's top company's you need an overwhelmingly male Board. Looks like a business model we all should follow. :wink:

It's like saying all Man Utd, City, Arsenal and Chelsea players are male. They'd perform much better if they had at least 25% females players in their teams!

Female Non Execs prepare better for meetings than males...do they? Do they really??? This is a fact is it? I worked for a company with a female MD, CEO and FD that, amongst other things, sourced Non Execs for Blue Chips and never at any point was this 'fact' mentioned. I'm afraid the words pinch and salt immediately spring to mind.

I'm totally against tokenism and quota's. Having a women on the board for no other reason than she is a woman is just wrong, no matter how it's dressed up. Best person for the job is all that matters.

Putting personalities to one side, I'd have Ann Gloag and Karren Brady on the Saints Board in a moment because they're damned good business people, not because they're women. God, I'd even put up with Michelle Mone for that reason.

We could of course appoint Mrs St Johnstone but apparently she's a man too! :)

Edited by BlueJ

I don't trust anything that has the word Government involved in it, no matter which Government it is. They will produce whatever is needed to back up their agenda and from skimming that report I see nothing to change my opinion.

Putting aside the Government part there is a large body of independent evidence (some cited in that report) that having a gender diverse board is beneficial.

FTSE 100 boards. 87.5% men. 12.5% women. Very interesting. That says to me if you wan't to be one of the country's top company's you need an overwhelmingly male Board. Looks like a business model we all should follow.

There's evidence that companies with more balanced boards outperform those that are male dominated, so those companies could be more effective if they hired more women. Also a 90% male presence, even allowing for there being less women in business and more likelihood of disrupted careers for having children, suggests to me an ingrained prejudice.

It's like saying all Man Utd, City, Arsenal and Chelsea players are male. They'd perform much better if they had at least 25% females players in their teams!

Not really - women are physiologically different to men so therefore find it hard to compete at sports like football. Business aptitude is a totally different comparison.

Female Non Execs prepare better for meetings than males...do they?

I agree that part is a bit silly.

I'm totally against tokenism and quota's. Having a women on the board for no other reason than she is a woman is just wrong, no matter how it's dressed up. Best person for the job is all that matters.

The benefits / pitfalls of positive discrimination is a separative issue - I'm sure there are enough successful business women that we could attract at least one to the board on their own merit.

Well if it was Ann Gloag about £300m or JK Rowling £530m :laugh:

Seriously though you can't really make generalisations. Romanov of Hearts, for example, is hardly a great advert for men running football clubs. Equally, I worked with female managers, 1 of whom is now a councillor, who couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery. However there are many people of either sex who would be excellent football directors. Each person has to be judged on their own merits.

Edited by Scott1884