Here we go again

john1962

Surely putting games on Friday nights, Sundays, Mondays, early kick-offs etc is an attempt to modernise? Not everyone is free every Saturday at 3pm.

We need the money from Tv so we can't have it both ways. Otherwise it will be part-time 1st Division & lower but at least people will get their beloved 3pm kick-offs.

Is putting the games on when fans have told them that they dont want them then the way forward?

TV money is necessary to allow teams to compete with others chasing tv money. Clubs need to be allowed to find their level. Not pressurised into chasing money. Half the SPL teams haven't paid their tax bills so what good is this tv money actually doing? Are you advocating all games on tv with empty stadia? Thats the way we are heading.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is putting the games on when fans have told them that they dont want them then the way forward?

TV money is necessary to allow teams to compete with others chasing tv money. Clubs need to be allowed to find their level. Not pressurised into chasing money. Half the SPL teams haven't paid their tax bills so what good is this tv money actually doing? Are you advocating all games on tv with empty stadia? Thats the way we are heading.

If the clubs are recieving money for the televised games, maybe the solution is to stipulate in these games the entrance fee at the gate should be minimal(say a fiver)or less, so that the games arn't watched by near empty stadia . I dont know if this would work but its an idea that may attract people to go..............

If the clubs are recieving money for the televised games, maybe the solution is to stipulate in these games the entrance fee at the gate should be minimal(say a fiver)or less, so that the games arn't watched by near empty stadia . I dont know if this would work but its an idea that may attract people to go..............

Something needs to be tried but Real Madrid has highlighted the issue with this. To just break even we would need a huge crowd to make up for those type of price cuts.

No I'm just pointing out this is the nature of being in the top flight. "You can't please all the people all the time"

Fans moaned about the catering so Saints took it in-house reduced the price & improved the quality. One irate fan "but all the pies were sold out by halftime. Saints are a disgrace. So ah took my £2.65 tae Tesco".

Folk are never happy!

And only one of the games are being moved for TV anyway.

I'm sure the vast majority of fans wouldn't have an issue with a Friday night game. People only speak up when they're not happy with something. I'm sure just as many fans find Saturday unsuitable

What makes you so sure? Evidence or just guessing? Perhaps some sort of evaluation may pay dividends. Instead we have them fumbling about guessing at what might work. Seems to be the only business that bases its strategy on on the flip of a coin.

If people prefer Friday's the go for it. The evidence, what we have and granted its not much, suggests people hate Mondays and Fridays for football.

Another point, we all know that games will be moved for tv before the season so I don't think anyone has a right to complain about it.

Of course people have a right to complain. Hadn't realised that we had become a dictatorship that bans freedom of speech. We know games will be moved.

A superfan criticised someone for saying that a season ticket is no longer worthwhile for him. If the authorities continue to ignore this then we will continue to lose fans through the gate. Then we just keep the doors closed and rely on tv money.

Edited by john1962

Going basically on all variables. You can't please everyone. Saturdays can be awkward for families, where as a Friday night might suit those with young kids.

People generally hate change, men especially so without actually trying these things out I'd imagine all polls will return negative answers!

Granted it wouldn't be ideal for you or myself as a game involves a 120 mile round trip. However I quite like the idea of a Friday night game in Edinburgh and still having my weekend free.

Going basically on all variables. You can't please everyone. Saturdays can be awkward for families, where as a Friday night might suit those with young kids.

People generally hate change, men especially so without actually trying these things out I'd imagine all polls will return negative answers!

Granted it wouldn't be ideal for you or myself as a game involves a 120 mile round trip. However I quite like the idea of a Friday night game in Edinburgh and still having my weekend free.

Trying these things out is still returning negative answers. Attendances are down.

Again away games locally would be good for me on a Friday, if I have nothing on, but for travelling fans I cant see much of an attraction. Another point is that people are more likely to have things organised for a Friday night than a Saturday or Sunday.

Of course people have a right to complain. Hadn't realised that we had become a dictatorship that bans freedom of speech. We know games will be moved.

Correct me if I'm wrong but ST's aren't sold as Saturday Season Tickets, nothing is being mis-sold.

I don't buy a season ticket because I KNOW I'll miss games, I have a young family and therefore lack flexibility at times. I still pay my £21 and go to every game I can.

What makes you so sure? Evidence or just guessing? Perhaps some sort of evaluation may pay dividends. Instead we have them fumbling about guessing at what might work. Seems to be the only business that bases its strategy on on the flip of a coin.

If people prefer Friday's the go for it. The evidence, what we have and granted its not much, suggests people hate Mondays and Fridays for football.

The fact that there have only been 38 post on the subject in over 24 hours and a lot of the have been for it. Hardly a groundswell of opinion?

My whole point in this is that the governing bodies need to consider the people who attend games. We are losing people hand over fist but hey we have tv money. What if on a whim tv companies decide the SPL is no longer attractive? What then? Beg people to start attending again? There is too much complacency and not enough action. Not only in changing game times/day but in attracting people to games. The game day experience hasn't changed in the 40 odd years I have been attending games. Too much of you pay to support your team cos thats what being a fan is all about. not good enough in this economic and social climate.

Correct me if I'm wrong but ST's aren't sold as Saturday Season Tickets, nothing is being mis-sold.

I don't buy a season ticket because I KNOW I'll miss games, I have a young family and therefore lack flexibility at times. I still pay my £21 and go to every game I can.

No they aren't all I am trying to say is that from the evidence we have people are unhappy with games being moved.

Clubs depend on season ticket money to shape their budget and we have already had at least two people saying that it may not be worth renewing. Geoff is on record as saying season ticket sales are down. And that we cant go on as we are.

The fact that there have only been 38 post on the subject in over 24 hours and a lot of the have been for it. Hardly a groundswell of opinion?

Not sure basing your whole argument on one thread on a football forum, which is only a snapshot of supporters, is a credible argument. Attendances are down and my point is that the authorities are doing nothing about what suppoorters are telling them they dont like. This only being a microcosm of the issues destroying Scottish football.

Right soapbox is away. People will rightly make their own decisions.

I'm sure the vast majority of fans wouldn't have an issue with a Friday night game. People only speak up when they're not happy with something. I'm sure just as many fans find Saturday unsuitable

As a BB leader from a personal point of view I am not that keen on Friday night football as not only will I struggle to go but the boys or their parents (some of whom do go as well) will then be in the same position. I know in Perth most BB groups, Scouts and the youth futsal all meet on a Friday night. There will always be clashes but in the past that was the one night with no football and i am sure many groups working with young people selected that night on that basis.

Pop who sits next to me would prefer Friday nights and I would be against it so your never going to get all the fans to agree.

My whole point in this is that the governing bodies need to consider the people who attend games. We are losing people hand over fist but hey we have tv money. What if on a whim tv companies decide the SPL is no longer attractive? What then? Beg people to start attending again? There is too much complacency and not enough action. Not only in changing game times/day but in attracting people to games. The game day experience hasn't changed in the 40 odd years I have been attending games. Too much of you pay to support your team cos thats what being a fan is all about. not good enough in this economic and social climate.

What i do not understand about this is the SPL seem to be chasing new customers at the expense of the existing fans. Is our money not good enough. Mobile phone companies etc do the same thing but its not like we are going to switch to another sport or team.

There is no harm in trying new things but the danger as far as I see it is it looks as if some teams get different rules from others. We have got of lightly with the fixture changes thus far unlike Dunfermline with a Monday opening game, a Friday night game at short notice etc.

From my point of view I also went from the opening of McDiarmid until around 2005 without missing a home competitive game. Now I would have to drop too many things to do this and to be honest maybe I am moving from being a supporter to a fan. The danger is in time more and more of us get fed up with all the changes and stop all together.

I don't think you can say that with any real basis. I would find it easier to get to a Fri or Sat night game as it would interfere less with family life

A rather singular point of view which obviously suits your situation.

Not everyone has a family to consider at the weekend. For instance before I had family responsibilities and, when I lived and worked in Perth my routine was something like. Finish work 5pm Friday, into the pub (started at Spinkies) with the lads until later in the evening. Headed home with Fish Supper or similar. Saturday up to Muirton or travel to a dead cert. Saturday afternoon match. Out in Perth Saturday evening with the 'YL'. Now Sundays were nearly always free but wouldn't really have fancied a football match I don't think.

So I can sympathise with like minded single people who might not want to rearrange Friday evenings in order to take in football matches.

Left Perth in 19.. for the forces, used to travel back on weekends when Saints were playing at home but had to leave after work on Friday and travel overnight by train. No way could I have made Friday evening matches. But hey life was a breeze in those days wouldn't fancy having to adjust to todays lottery. :laugh:

Edited by Indicator