Del linked with ... Bristol City

williamwonka

You must think incredibly highly of Saints if you consider McInnes' achievements to be no better than "pretty modest". Most people accept Saints are a fairly small (albeit well-run) club with a small fanbase, yet McInnes has turned us from First Division also-rans into a club now in its third season in the top flight, currently sitting joint-fourth in the SPL and semi-final regulars in both Cups. McInnes has completely transformed Saints from what they were when he took over (in his first ever management job), and is the first manager since Sturrock to install a successful long-term plan. He has quite clearly exceeded all reasonable expectations here.

I'm quite curious to know what he would have to do for you to think he'd done an impressive job here.

DM has done a good job, that is undeniable, all I'm saying is so did GM or BR at Hamilton, who also managed to turn their team from 2nd tier alsorans, with small fanbases into established SPL sides. To exceed expectations I think he would need to hit top six and cup finals, hardly outrageous, for a club like saints. He is on course to do that this season and has demonstrated bravery and ambition with his signings, the cup defeat to St Mirren must sting like a bitch, (been there a few times!) cos at the moment Saints are a match for anyone.

Wee John, I'm happy to talk about resources at Houston's disposal. Shrinking year on year, less than McCall, Smith, Sturrock, Levein, Chisholm, and Brewster, yet the only manager in our history (apart from the great man himself) who managed to win a trophy (our 5th in 100 years) and one of only 3 managers (in 100 years) who finished 3rd. By any standard Houston's record is exceptional. Aberdeen, Hearts, and Hibs have significantly greater resources yet have failed to match Houston's high standards. Why is Houston not 'linked' to bigger jobs? No idea, could it be that he is a focused professional, happy at his job(s) and not a big time charlie who's agent touts him for every available opportunity because he believes the job he has is beneath him...like Scott Allen! :evil:

Wee John, I'm happy to talk about resources at Houston's disposal. Shrinking year on year, less than McCall, Smith, Sturrock, Levein, Chisholm, and Brewster, yet the only manager in our history (apart from the great man himself) who managed to win a trophy (our 5th in 100 years) and one of only 3 managers (in 100 years) who finished 3rd.

Did Ivan Golac and his magic hat not win the Scottish Cup? Tut tut - you should read up more on your own team and spend less time worrying about us:roll:

Did Ivan Golac and his magic hat not win the Scottish Cup? Tut tut - you should read up more on your own team and spend less time worrying about us:roll:

Doh! How embarassing! you are of course correct, but it does not take away from the general point that Houston is doing a great job, Golac had huge resources spending fortunes and getting us relegated! Ivan will always occupy a special place in our hearts, but it was an all too brief affair that ended in tears!

McInnes has done a good job but clearly has a good agent. His name has been mentioned for every job on the go in England, despite not setting the world alight with Saints. His and Saints progression have been steady rather than spectacular but even a season or two ago he was being mentioned. His agent is doing a grand job at getting his name mentioned and profile raised. There certainly have been clubs sniffing round him but not as many as he has been mentioned for. Suppose he has good contacts down South and doesn't yet have any blots on his copy unlike say McCall or Butcher. But who you know and who your agent is plays a lot in football these days.

Taking about good agents. How much was Kenneth being touted for a couple of years back.

Come on, tell us. I need a really good laugh.

Taking about good agents. How much was Kenneth being touted for a couple of years back.

Come on, tell us. I need a really good laugh.

Illustrates my point exactly Joe! His break through season at 17 the record had him off to Chelsea...Levein sent him to Cowdenbeath for 3 months to focus his ambitions!

Well I am sure blackpool were offering more that half a million.

Now thats funny. :D

We rejected the Blackpool bid in 2009, which was (if I remember correctly) 200K + add-ons. Hardly 'touting' on United's part. And we were proved correct, at 100k per league placing the defence we had kept us in 3rd and 4th since then, easily justifying the manager/chariman's judgement. Same with Craig Conway, 200k + unachievable add-ons, better keep the player and finish higher up the league.

Doh! How embarassing! you are of course correct, but it does not take away from the general point that Houston is doing a great job, Golac had huge resources spending fortunes and getting us relegated! Ivan will always occupy a special place in our hearts, but it was an all too brief affair that ended in tears!

Saints fans have a good debate about the Paul Sturrock team doing really wel under Sandy Clark. Do you think Houston is riding the hard work done by Levein not only in building a first team but also the work with the youth players?

If you threw Houston into a club he had to build himself I don't think that he would do so well.

Personally, I don't like this idea of clubs interviewing a manager already in a position as one of several candidates. Fair enough, do that without out of work managers but you shouldn't be approaching a manager in work IMO unless it's to talk to only him about taking over the vacancy.

McInnes, like Coyle, has shown qualities that lead people to believe they could be a success at a higher level, with more resources. This nonsense about him having to have achieved things with St Johnstone is irrelevant. Did Levein acheive anything with Cowdenbeath? Nothing particularly special that I can remember but he obviously showed enough to convince Hearts to take a chance on him, albeit his past at that club no doubt helped. Not really sure why speculation surrounding McInnes interests the Arabs on here so much anyway.

In an effort to get back to something like the topic, just read on their forum that they have had talks with Yogi Hughes:laugh:

Probably along the lines of..."Yes, thanks for calling to back up you're application but I stress yet again we just aren't interested Mr Hughes. Sorry, what did you say? Could you repeat that please...and again...could you speak slowly Mr Hughes..."

Probably along the lines of..."Yes, thanks for calling to back up you're application but I stress yet again we just aren't interested Mr Hughes. Sorry, what did you say? Could you repeat that please...and again...could you speak slowly Mr Hughes..."

"Yes Mr Hughes, we appreciate that you will give 110% to any interview you get and that you can't underestimate the influence the supporters have"

Just checked, Jan 2010 Blackpool bid 75k + addons, then a second bid of 100k + addons....yep that is funny, for a 22 year old defender who was an integral part of a defence that won the cup and finished 3rd and 4th, and got capped!

Hope he does well this weekend. Oh that's right. He got capped. Never since though.

Sam parkin got a b cap. What a player he must be then.

fuxake - how far off topic has the arab driven this??????:roll:

if you look back it was not me who drove this off topic, I merely responded to cheap shots at Houston and Kenneth!

John Hughes would be an excellent replacement, I'd have him at Tannadice in a heartbeat, tonnes of charisma and presence. Not a bad record wi Falkirk and was scked after a difficult time at Hibs, better than his replacements at both those jobs!