A Little Bit Of Perth In Surrey

Billic

I manage a non-league football team in Surrey. Horley Town play in the Combined Counties Premier League.

We have been drawn to play AFC Wimbledon at their ground (The Fans Staduim in Kingston). The date has not yet been confirmed but is due to be played midweek (probably 7.45 ko) between 9th & 16th January.

This is an opportunity for Wappers in the Kingston (or London) vicinity with Perth or St. Johnstone connections to come meet up, watch a game and have a beer.

I know MySpazz does the gate at Wimbledon and i know that Babychunder (Tommo) and Henryhallsdanceband live fairly close. if any other Wappers live in the area it would be good to see you there.

I will confirm the date and time for anyone interested when it has been agreed.

Be good to put a face to Wapper names, (except yours Tommo!!!).

Ali

Yup - I'm up for that. 30miles straight up the A3 to Kingston no problemo. Would also be a good opportunity for me to meet up with my AFC Wimbledon supporting buddy.

Ah - the 29th Dec away to Farnham Town - typical - their ground is 20 mins walk from my house and I'm going to be in Perth for the ICT game

Nice post!! I am well up for it.

I'll put my name forward to do the gate that night and head down for a Perth via Surrey night!

There are a few WAP'ers around... could be a fun night.

@Billic - if i knew you were managing Horley Town I'd have hooked you up with a player I took from AFC to Hampton & Richmond..... (He was with AFC second string last season, but AFC Reserves disbanded last season when Marcus Gayle went to Staines Town... PM me if you want him on loan!)

WAP - where deals are done!!!!!!!

This game has been scheduled for the Tuesday 15th January.

AFC Wimbledon v Horley Town - Surrey Senior Cup.

Tuesday 15th January @ 7.45pm

The Cherry Red Records Stadium, Jack Goodchild Way/422A Kingston Rd, Kingston upon Thames KT1 3PB

Edited by Billic

• 2 weeks later...

For those who expressed an interest in this match, here's a reminder of the details.

This game has been scheduled for the Tuesday 15th January.

AFC Wimbledon v Horley Town - Surrey Senior Cup.

Tuesday 15th January @ 7.45pm

The Cherry Red Records Stadium, Jack Goodchild Way/422A Kingston Rd, Kingston upon Thames KT1 3PB.

I'll be the bald bloke in the away dug out!!

If you want to PM me your mobile numbers i can text you to let you know if the match is postponed (if the weather is wet or frosty). Alternatively i can post on here.

I will be the guy with Saints shirt on in the HOME turnstile!

- The bars will be open & do fairly cheap beer

- Chippy round the corner from ground

- Nrt Station is Norbiton (Not Kingston).

@BIllic - do your homework on Christian Jolley & Jason Prior - i'd have them as your main threats on the night, with both on the fringes of the first team...

The match is only £5.00

Returning AFC Captain Sammy Moore is set to feature in the side for Tuesday, and there will be a homecoming for the new signing Chris Hussey who returns to AFC from Coventry where he spent the past 3 seasons.

Admission prices will be just £5 for adults and £2 for children to attend the Surrey Senior Cup tie against Combined Counties Premier side Horley Town on Tuesday, 15 January.

Match is still on - keep an eye on http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk

London hasn't had any snow - just a bit of rain and nothing too serious. The OS posted this story earlier on, promoting the match:

http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/hussey-for-surrey-cup-597191.aspx

I'll be in turnstile #2

£5 adults / £2 Kids, Oaps, Students, UB40s and other blaggers (the Police often show warrant cards for a discount! ) etc....

From 14 players that AFC Wimbledon fielded (incl. Subs) it was a very strong side comprised of mainly first team players, plus squad players and 2 or three academy. PLayers like Chris Hussey (signed from Coventry City last week), Club Captain Sammy Moore, record Signing, and current top scorer (13/14 goals in League 2) Byron Harrison...the first team goalie who has been out for a few weeks, plus Kieran Dijali (signed from Portsmouth) - basically a team of professionals who show up at the New Malden training ground each day to train. No work. Full-time Pro football.

By contrast the Horley keeper told me he had done a days work cleaning windows before traveling up to the match!!

The two teams are 5 divisions apart.

When AFC played Wycombe & Millwall in the cup a few years back they lost both matches 4 -1 - at that time there were only 3 divisions separating the sides.

Well done Horley Town, they held out for a long period, and drew level.

The manager of Horley is one of us. A Letham lad, proud Saintee and someone who knows what it is like to take an emergency slash up a close - an unrivaled feeling! :)

@Teamwork @HenryHallsDanceband - we missed you.

Edited by MySpazz

Great to meet up with MySpazz and BabyChunder and yes although i always look out for Saints results and have fond memories of Saints in the late sixties and early seventies (best game ever beating SV Hamburg 3-0 at Muirton with a stunning strike from Gordon Whitelaw) i do for my sins follow Hibs.

I was proud of the effort my players put in last night although Wimbledon's fitness and class told in the last 5 minutes when they killed us off with 2 late goals.

An enjoyable game of football and a great chat about all things Perth in the bar afrerwards and a commitment for us Perth lads to get together again soon.

Ali