The Most Horrible Perth Building Designs Over The Decades

SingaporeSaint

Actually Murray Royal is a lovely building. I like the walled Garden...

When driving down the Crieff Road towards Dunkeld Road, the Murray Royal building is indeed an impressive building.

A lot of new buildings have been added recently.

Are you aware that the residents of Carstairs are now housed here.

Hence the twenty foot high chain mail fencing and cctv cameras.

The whole North Muirton Estate would be a contender for the "bigger" shite ideas prize.     

As I said before SS, thats as maybe, but its where people live and most people make them look good and spend money on them, as far as asthetic beauty, no housing estates look great, that includes Cherrybank and The Western Edge. :-)

The whole North Muirton Estate would be a contender for the "bigger" shite ideas prize.     

Can't agree with you there. At least it is a stand-alone in design and has been well thought out in terms of open spaces, etc.   Also, it was a great estate to be brought up on as a kid.

Trouble is, the idea of des res today will be tomorrow's eyesore.  The only buildings that tend to stand the test of time in terms of being aesthetically pleasing to the majority tends to be Victorian, Regency, Classical, etc irrespective of how run down/or impractical they may be on the inside.

On a personal level, I dislike the Art Deco style.

Where the buildings are sited is not in dispute.  I am merely stating that the 60/70's design of the buildings don't have to blend in next to, say a victorian terrace, etc.  Also, one can't argue that in the N.Muirton design, plenty of open spaces were incorporated into the design which, in my humble opinion makes it aesthetically pleasing.

Edited by Fair Maid

Agree that some people will find them horrible.  I don't find them all that bad.  Re the soggy grass bit - there is a bit more landscaping than that!!!   But the blank expanses of grass that you refer to are ideal for the very ball games (i.e. football)  that those signs prohibit. Those signs you would get in most estates irrespective if the buildings are horrible to look at or not.  Ironically, on a lot of new developments the main complaint is there is nowhere for the bairns to play!

I don't know why Perth folk moan so much about their council estates.  Believe me, I've seen a heck of a lot worse schemes.

On an aside, are there still mini swing parks dotted around N.Muirton or were they all dismantled?

Edited by Fair Maid

Council estates are/were built to house the masses , not to be pleasing on the eye for the rest of time . I for one was brought up in one and it was brilliant for young families . Sad to say that said area is now full of junkie housebreakers . That is what is wrong with it now , not the actual houses but the people who bring/create misery for the decent hard working normal folk who actually have some respect for their neighbours.

Edited by andy rhodes fancy watch

City Hall, the City Hall and ......the City Hall

Monstrous Edwardian carbuncle should never have been built and should be destroyed!

The only building that springs to my mind as well with this question.

It's a travesty that they have not been allowed to demolish it and open up a civic square in front of St John's Kirk, which is currently hidden by this monstrous monolith. To keep the nutters happy, they could even incorporate the front facade into the design to create a more enclosed square if they wanted, but the building serves absolutely no purpose.

I grew up in Letham in the 60s and 70s and it wis fine, we never locked the doors. Also my auld folks were among the first tenants in Hunters when the hooses were brand new and they were the envy of their friends!

I think it's just that the schemes get auld and tired, people move out, and new ones move in, and the character changes.