Old Saints V Morton Highlights On Youtube.

Mike

It was grim times John, but there was a great unity about the saints fans then.Our fans got snobby in the 90s.

No coincidence that we moved to an all seater stadium then . It saved saints ,but made the match day experience sanitised shite . Get the terracing and segregation fence back .

• 3 weeks later...

Not videos but a guy on Twitter called Vince Taylor posts loads of photos of old grounds.  Here are a few of Muirton Park:

Do St Johnstone fans pine for Muirton Park? Here it is in 1988, just before the club moved to pastures new. pic.twitter.com/9F32VXqy

Opened in 1924, as was the main stand, Muirton Park's record crowd was 29,972 in 1952 for St Johnstone v Dundee. pic.twitter.com/QhfFpewX

A wet Perth day in 1988. The Fine Fare advert reminds us that the supermarket chain once sponsored the Scottish Lge pic.twitter.com/7h8gdaQS

St Johnstone's Muirton Park in 1988, with surprisingly few crash barriers for such a big terrace. pic.twitter.com/cI4ULBQj

Heading for refreshments at St Johnstone's Muirton Park in 1988. pic.twitter.com/RAzFbfH3tb

Another view of the East Terrace at Muirton Park in 1988, at which point it was still permissible to bring your dog. pic.twitter.com/5fhpzmzz

Those Morton games were fantastic. The atmosphere was brilliant at both games, particularly the away game. You can't beat standing on a covered terracing for a big game.

I wouldn't say I pine for Muirton Park, given how much of a dump it was, but I certainly miss being able to stand on the terracing, move around the ground etc.

Despite understanding the thought process and reasons behind the regulations, I sometimes think that the move to all-seater stadia, aided in no small part by the Stasi-esque stewarding currently being encountered at McDiarmid and other grounds, may have, in the long run, inadvertently played a part in reducing the support base at smaller clubs like Saints, Raith, Dunfermline etc. I used to love going to Muirton when I was wee, as me and my sister could run around the terracing behind the goals, still in full view of my Dad, when we were bored of the football. It was obviously a bit different for the bigger games when the grounds were full though.

Kids at McDiarmid can't do that now. It’s totally unrealistic to expect a 5 or 6 year old to have to sit down in a cold stadium for a couple of hours. Most kids just want to run about, plus the fact most have the attention span of a goldfish. I've seen stewards threatening to throw a couple of young children and their parents out (at Dens I think) as the kids were committing the heinous crime of running around and playing in an empty part of the stand.