End Of Season Review

Longgforgan Saint

I am sure that I read somewhere that this season Saints got their highest ever points total in the top division. However, can't find source or details. If that is correct, that would be the defining stat that this has been a hugely successful season. I also think that being undefeated post-split is a top achievement.

Yes, this season we matched our best-ever top-flight points total of 57 - we also got 57 points when we finished third in 1998-99 (the other time when Kane scored the only goal in a last-day-of-season win!).

I also believe that this is the first season that Saints have EVER finished fourth in the top division, but someone on here might correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, this season we matched our best-ever top-flight points total of 57 - we also got 57 points when we finished third in 1998-99 (the other time when Kane scored the only goal in a last-day-of-season win!).

I also believe that this is the first season that Saints have EVER finished fourth in the top division, but someone on here might correct me if I am wrong.

Three years ago?

http://www.saintjohnstone-mad.co.uk/league_history/st_johnstone/index.shtml

As far as Tommy Wright, I think in many ways he has had as good a season as we did last year- losing 27 goals and yet still achieving top 4 and potentially Europe again is a great achievement.

I believe Wright realised very early in the season that we were not going to score the goals we needed and focused on our hard to beat attitude.

His choice of Caddis at right midfield against Aberdeen was the prime example. He knew our full-back could be vulnerable and he put in a guy that would graft and help out. I had some plonker giving Wright and Caddis abuse the whole game. I truly believe Wright is a master at looking at weeks in advance and looks at the big picture.

Again Wright got the best out of the January market. Swanson was a great addition (even though a couple of his dives have been embarrassing at best- downright cheating at worst) and just what we needed in the squad.

I'm really, really looking forward to next season. I agree with all the departures and I'm very positive about the two young defenders that are coming in. Cummings was clearly a long-term target for Wright and adding in another couple of attacking options I think top six is a very realistic target- from there a top four is more than possible again.

We have a great record at Tynecastle so no fear of going there next season.

After the Well v. Rangers playoff the season is now officially over so hear goes. As many have said last season was going to be impossible to top after an amazing Scottish Cup win - more so given the loss of Stevie May. Around October we lost 5 on the bounce, were firmly in the bottom six and we could easily have spiralled in to the play off/relegation spots. Credit to the Management and Players they turned it around completely and gave us another season in Europe - 4 on the bounce which is an incredible achievement and gives a feel good finish to the season. We have a reasonably settled team and appeared to have strengthened it with some good additions. Our challenge remains the replacement of Stevie May and hopefully Mr Cummins is May Mark II and not a Vinny Arkins ! Can't wait for Europe  - COYS !