Scottish Cup 5th Round - Saints v Partick 11/2/17

jhq

First time I've even felt like looking at this post since the weekend was that scunnered.  We've all seen practically the same team turn out and put in a great performance.  Think a combination of Patrick getting their tactics right and too many players having an off day cost us.  There's nothing that unusual about this sort of thing happening and fans are kidding their selves on if they think this sort of result should never happen! 

Having a consistent squad is like a double edged sword.  Our players know each other inside out and we generally have a good chemistry on the pitch but other clubs i.e. Partick can easily predict how we'll play.  

My thoughts on this game are that we are playing with "house money". If we win great and we move on and hopefully land a nice tie with TV coverage to boot. If we lose it won't be the end of the world. I know I would take defeat to Killie far harder to bear than losing to Partick in the cup - I guess I'm symptomatic of the regard people have for cups these days.

I hope we set up with the idea of winning the tie in style. Partick are a tidy team and we might have our hands full - I wouldn't be surprised if this goes to a replay.

Team pretty much on the same lines as the "Penaltygate" game with Ando and Macca coming back in. Spoony starts with Alston on the bench. Won't be surprised if midge gets a start though.

I don't think we should underestimate the financial damage done by not getting to the next round? Not only cup revenue, but effectively the end to our season. You have read on this forum and fans decision not to turn up for the remainder of the season... ok so we still have a chance of Europe, but if the club is to be believed previous forays into Europe have ended up costing the club money. So really just the hope of a good cup run to keep our season going :-( 

I don't think we should underestimate the financial damage done by not getting to the next round? Not only cup revenue, but effectively the end to our season. You have read on this forum and fans decision not to turn up for the remainder of the season... ok so we still have a chance of Europe, but if the club is to be believed previous forays into Europe have ended up costing the club money. So really just the hope of a good cup run to keep our season going :-( 

That's a fair point. The financial cost to the club will be substantial but there is still plenty to play for - the sooner a top six finish is achieved the better.

That's a fair point. The financial cost to the club will be substantial but there is still plenty to play for - the sooner a top six finish is achieved the better.

I agree still a lot to play for & I will be sitting there shouting on my team. Think it's a measure of how far we have advanced when we are debating top 4 and not bottom 2 ;-)