Coyle To Stay

OldPoster

Should He Stay Or Should He Go?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think a lot of people nowadays, not just Saints fans, are after a quick fix and if success is not forthcoming, they start to question the manager's position. I think Coyle's doing a great job, he's got us in the best position we've been in in a few seasons and there's still the potential to go further, in only his second full season as a manager.

Part and parcel of being a football fan is taking the rough with the smooth, defeats are part of the learning process and I'm sure Coyle is having to learn very quickly. Sometimes the players must also accept the blame for making mistakes that are costing the team full points.

If we'd seen Saints being completely outplayed and not creating many chances then I would be inclined to agree with the unrest on here but I don't think this is the case and therefore I fully support our management team. Perhaps, we could've done with an experienced Coach/Assistant manager :?

OK. These guys have been good at other clubs however as St johnstone players its not worked or is not working out IMHO

Calamity James, Bambi on Ice at best. Best years are definatly behind him now, he was pretty decent for Falkirk however

Scotland, has talant but clearly does not want to be here thinks he is better than he is and could not give a toss about playing for us, luxuary we cannot afford

McLaren - Winger that drifts inside, cannot take on a man and has difficulty trapping a ball, falls over if someone farts near him, still he can shoot and cross but points 2&3 negate most of that

Simon Mincing - Slow, for his size powder puff and not that great a tackler I think his lack of speed or closing down leads to that, cannot pass or control a ball, no awareness regardless out right or in centre

Club needs stability, whats the point of hiring somebody else, we have constantly changed managers and still hasnt worked for us!

Would like o see him get another season, then we could perhaps think about changing him!

I think about this time next year.

however can we afford to be in the same position this time next year, hard call

I think about this time next year.

however can we afford to be in the same position this time next year, hard call

Shaggy how could we possibly compeate with Gretna this season? say we were doing better this season, then gretna would simply open up the wallet and splash, which they have done signing more players!

As much as Id like to see Saints go up, it was never on he cards, money talks!

Shaggy how could we possibly compeate with Gretna this season? say we were doing better this season, then gretna would simply open up the wallet and splash, which they have done signing more players!

As much as Id like to see Saints go up, it was never on he cards, money talks!

Never thought we would, I was very pessamistic and predicted we would finish 3rd and got slated for it.

What i was wanting at the start of the season was signs that things were coming together and we were building a team much like the turn around when we picked things up under luggy only to throw it away down at Greenock. Things could still turn around but there is not much sign of it which makes me worry.

Now having seen Gretna I began to get more opptamistic and thought if we could of got a lead on them before they could splash the cash we had a small chance (and we had several chances to do this) but it never happened. So I am back to looking a t perfomances and signs a winning team is being built, but time is running out

Never thought we would, I was very pessamistic and predicted we would finish 3rd and got slated for it.

What i was wanting at the start of the season was signs that things were coming together and we were building a team much like the turn around when we picked things up under luggy only to throw it away down at Greenock. Things could still turn around but there is not much sign of it which makes me worry.

Now having seen Gretna I began to get more opptamistic and thought if we could of got a lead on them before they could splash the cash we had a small chance (and we had several chances to do this) but it never happened. So I am back to looking a t perfomances and signs a winning team is being built, but time is running out

I dont think there is a single fan on here who is happy with 2nd place, we all want to be top looking down on Gretna but hasnt happened!

This has been a freak season, with Gretna being a one off, when do a team promoted have so many resources?

We must look at the future, we are in both cup still( going further in both than Rangers) We have Semi Final of the national level, in which we were not seeded!

We also must give players more backing, what is the point is having a go at them? At the end of the day we all want the same things, we are SUPPORTERS of St Johnstone not critisiers!

Sorry, all this clap-trap about "we would have won the league if Gretna weren't in it" is a lame excuse for our own inadequacy. We are in 2nd place in this (poor) league because of our results against lower placed teams, not our results against Gretna. Gretna have won these games, we haven't, but the likes of Airdrie and Dundee have shown that Gretna can be beaten and beaten convincingly. It's exactly the same situation as last season and nothing has changed. The balance of the side has been wrong for well over a year now, everyone has seen that apart from Coyle it seems. The correct players were not brought in in the transfer window last season or over the summer, and that doesn't look like changing before the end of this month.

Coyle has really only managed to raise the game of this side in the CIS Cup, so give him up to the semi - if we go out, so does he. If we get to the final, well fair play to him, give him to the end of the season and see if he can deliver the trophy - you never know, that might provide the winning mentality we badly need. However, long term, I fear Coyle isn't the manager we need - he doesn't know how to sort it, probably because of his inexperience. Sorry, why should Saints serve as his training ground?? All due respect to the likes of Forfar, Alloa and Montrose, but let him go somewhere like that to serve his apprenticeship and make his mistakes. He is not up to it, at least at Saints - we are still suffering the same problems we had when he first came, and are now going backwards.

Herts

Probably something to do with the fact that Sturrock completely changed the culture and emphasis of the club from the minute he walked in the door with the work ethic and giving young players a chance. It was too late to avoid going down hen he took over, but the improvement was seen when he rebuilt the squad and consolidated in the 1st division the following season. When he saw something wasn't working, he changed it and did something different. OK, it didn't always work, we all know that, but you could see what he was trying to do. I don't think Coyle knows how to do that.

Herts

I'm in two minds really. I don't honestly think he deserves to stay in a job but I think we need to stick by him at least until the end of next season. In his time in charge he has brought in some decent signings. However, he can't seem to get the best out of these guys. We also play a horrible style of football. He seems to make mistake after mistake but I guess you are going to get that with a young manager.

Considering his age and experience, he might just be about to come good so I think we need to put up with the bad bits and hope he learns from them. Verdict = stay of execution.

Since Sturrock left, apart from the first few months under Clark when he was able to take the team forward before the mainstays started to lose their legs, Saints have concentrated solely on survival. The proven journeymen over the potential of others. The lack of a style of play (I refuse to call punt and hope a style) has been a constant. The lack of mobility, pace, guile, set piece play etc .

Has Coyle changed any of that - NO. Is there any sign of any change - NO. Can we progress without change - NO.

I do not lay all the blame on Coyle. As I have said on many occasions, the manager has come and gone but the backroom staff remain. They are the one constant which does need change. The injury to Savo being the latest in a long line of Saints playing injured players till it backfires on them big style.

Herts talks of a winning mentality. Saints do not have that throughout the club. Survival is all that matters. recent displays have taken the gloss off what is a poor season, in a poor league. Coyle has to address the fundamental problems within the club or go.

Speaking with saints fans, many even season ticket holders are wondering why bother to turn up to a team which has no purpose or soul. That is what should be concerning Geoff Brown.

i don't dislike the guy one bit but he just aint the man to take us forward. i'd let him go now. the cup run has been braw but our bread an butter is gaining promotion. gretna may be 11 or so points clear but they aint that good really . fact is every other team is so bloody average they are getting made to look good. its easy to say let him go also as theyre aint many ideal replacements out there. personally and i know many would disagree but i'd go for bobby williamson.

Sorry, all this clap-trap about "we would have won the league if Gretna weren't in it" is a lame excuse for our own inadequacy. We are in 2nd place in this (poor) league because of our results against lower placed teams, not our results against Gretna. Gretna have won these games, we haven't, but the likes of Airdrie and Dundee have shown that Gretna can be beaten and beaten convincingly. It's exactly the same situation as last season and nothing has changed. The balance of the side has been wrong for well over a year now, everyone has seen that apart from Coyle it seems. The correct players were not brought in in the transfer window last season or over the summer, and that doesn't look like changing before the end of this month.

Exactly. I find it shocking that people are willing to use Gretna as an excuse. We're not in second place because of Gretna. We're in second place because it's what our own performances and results have merited. The blame for our failure to keep up lies entirely on our own doorstep. Nobody can genuinely look at the Gretna team, man for man, and say they're any better than us.

Having said that, I stand by giving Coyle two full seasons to prove himself, so voted that he should stay.