Has Gretna's bubble burst?

StDuncM

This taken from their website on 17/12/05 |

''NEWS - ONLY UNBEATEN CLUB IN COUNTRY!

Gretna's 1-0 win at Dumbarton stretched their unbeaten record to 31 league games, and with Wycombe Wanderers going down 2-1 to two late goals at Bury, the Borderers retain the only unbeaten start to the season in the English and Scottish leagues.''

Have Forfar exposed a weakness in their 2-1 defeat of Gretna?

All the goals scored by Forfar players.

Too many players enjoying Pre Christmas drinks or what?

That'll teach 'em to crow. How the mighty have fallen!

Gretna are a scoring machine and in the game they beat Cove Rangers two weeks ago they had six different scorers -

Grady 2

Deuchar 14

Townsley 45

McGuffie 63(p)

Grady 77

Nicholls 82

They play a refreshing 4-3-3 with Kenny Deuchars, David Bingham and James Grady up front with David Graham (from Stranraer) who we were interested in last year available to come on.

In midfield they have Davie Nicholls (ex Dunfermline & Flakirk), Baldacchino (ex Bolton & Blackburn Rovers), Steve Tosh (ex Aberdeen, Falkirk, Livi and Saints) and Derek Townsley (ex Hibees and Motherwell) to pick from.

They have Alan Main in goal who is well familiar with McD since he was in our side which beat Celtic, Rangers, got 3rd and drew with Monaco here in the late 90's.

I think they had a blimp and are really a 1st Division side in terms of quality.

Gretna are a scoring machine and in the game they beat Cove Rangers two weeks ago they had six different scorers -

Grady 2

Deuchar 14

Townsley 45

McGuffie 63(p)

Grady 77

Nicholls 82

They play a refreshing 4-3-3 with Kenny Deuchars, David Bingham and James Grady up front with David Graham (from Stranraer) who we were interested in last year available to come on.

In midfield they have Davie Nicholls (ex Dunfermline & Flakirk), Baldacchino (ex Bolton & Blackburn Rovers), Steve Tosh (ex Aberdeen, Falkirk, Livi and Saints) and Derek Townsley (ex Hibees and Motherwell) to pick from.

They have Alan Main in goal who is well familiar with McD since he was in our side which beat Celtic, Rangers, got 3rd and drew with Monaco here in the late 90's.

I think they had a blimp and are really a 1st Division side in terms of quality.

I think you'll find that they had 5different scorers as Grady got 2 :wink:

By all accounts it was Main who cost the game, being at fault for both Forfar goals, i think. I know what you're saying though, that they have a lot of experience in their side and have got depth in their squad too. However, a lot of these experienced guys are at the wrong end of their careers, which is why they're there in the first place and i believe they'll find their level when they get up to the 1st Division.

I'm not sure if playing them at McDiarmid will benefit Saints that much but we'll soon see

I think you'll find that they had 5different scorers as Grady got 2 :wink:

Are you sure they're not the Grady twins? :lol::wink: Yeah I didn't spot that.

After looking at the team line ups I see that Nicholls and Townsley are in defence :shock: but they are described as midfielders on soccerbase.com.

Alan Main made a couple of errors with Saints but I've seen him make several great saves in a row when he's up for it e.g. Celtic at home a few times, Monaco away and many others.