Kevin Rutkiewicz

kieron24_9

Aye, but spoke to him the other weekend and he is not so certain himself, he can only tap the ball with his foot and has yet to really test it with a hard run. Will wait to see and hope that he does come back, especially in the cup final.....

I was saying before the game since he went out how many goals have we let in from crosses? James if fine with balls over the top but corners and crosses are a nightmare. McManus cant even head a ball when unmarked - what a useless diddy he is. I cant wait for Ruti to come back - we have missed him badly.

I thought McManus was brilliant for the first few months of the season but has stuggled recently. Question is, is he fit though? I'd guess he's probably not and that's affecting his performances and doing him no favours. Back in November, I couldn't see how Ruti would get back in the side but now I think he'll walk back in but I'll hazard a guess Coyle will go to a back three so he doesn't have to drop James or Chalky.

If he's not fit he shouldn't be playing - before tonight Anderson should have been given a chance. McManus isn't the best stopper in the world and is far too slow. Look when he has to get a long ball and clear it, he takes too many steps to get behind the ball and takes so long that too often the opposition are bearing down on him - cue a panicky clearance and we're under pressure.

His marking tonight was all over the place - Sives(?) and Keogh practically had a free run around the Saints box due to the defenders' positioning. In someone like Dyer etc that can be forgiven but remember that Owen had said that McManus and his ilk would bring experience to the team - we should not be making such simple bloody mistakes given all the experience we have.

If he's not fit he shouldn't be playing - before tonight Anderson should have been given a chance. McManus isn't the best stopper in the world and is far too slow. Look when he has to get a long ball and clear it, he takes too many steps to get behind the ball and takes so long that too often the opposition are bearing down on him - cue a panicky clearance and we're under pressure.

His marking tonight was all over the place - Sives(?) and Keogh practically had a free run around the Saints box due to the defenders' positioning. In someone like Dyer etc that can be forgiven but remember that Owen had said that McManus and his ilk would bring experience to the team - we should not be making such simple bloody mistakes given all the experience we have

Excellent post Richard. McManus is no more than an average 1st division stopper, and his distribution is piss poor to boot. I had a set to with a guy sitting behind me last night after McManus won the ball and took a couple of steps forward past the attacker to give himself some time to play the forward ball. So far so good, Lilley and Savo peel off their markers up front, both going wide to make some room and give McManus something to aim at. What does McManus do? Without even looking up, he humps the ball right up the middle on to a Thistle centre back's head, with no Saints player withing 20 yards. Total panic, no vision or composure at all, and not the first time either. Steven Anderson has shown this season he does have the ability to play the intelligent forward ball, and if anything, a couple of shots in the team before last night might have eased him into it instead of having to chuck him in at the deep end in such an important game. Central defence has suffered with injury a lot this season and it was always likely to happen that we'd lose James again, but how that should have been handled by Coyle is the subject of another thread.

Experience is only experience if you use what's happened to you before in a constructive way, learning from past mistakes and doing things differently if they don't work and the same if they do. Sometimes I wonder about the likes of McManus and his mate McInnes.

Herts