Saints v the ranjurs Sunday the 18th of February

Setting Son

13 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

He could probably do the job but I just don't think Levein wants him in the team, sadly.

I wonder if it's more likely we see Keltjens move back there next season. If Drey Wright recovers then he returns to RWB and Keltjens could potentially play RCB. Or does Keltjens move into Dan Phillips' role? Or maybe even move across to LWB?

I don't agree that he's not wanted. I too find it strange he's not featuring more but he's still being selected for an impact at some stage and I'm sure he'll start soon and kick on. We have a big squad now and I think half the problem is we are still searching for the right balance between defence and attack and this is constantly being altered to suit the opposing team instead of creating our own identity.

39 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

I agree completley. I just don't see the point in constantally castigating players - especially these guys who might be no spring chickens but who week after week try to keep our defence tight whislt being over run by more accomplished sides. By association there a veiled snipe at the management team and it's completley pointless! I get some people don't like Craig Levein but at least let the season play out and see where we are. 

Relegated with more fans walking away under Leveins anti football.

I do not have a problem with our back 3 regardless of it is the usual 3 or with Robinson or Olafnwa in there. It is our tactics that are putting too much pressure on the defence and stifling out midfield.

3 hours ago, Gekko said:

Random thought, what about Sprangler as a centre back?

He's younger, doesn't seem to be injury prone, could step out when needed and can pick out a pass.

I know his best position is midfield but he seems comfortable at that end of the pitch, and let's face it, he's not getting a game in his natural position.

Just a thought.

Don’t see the picking out a pass. Dan can pick out a pass and defend. That why he gets in everytime. Strangler is as they say in French as a ‘porteur d’eau’

24 minutes ago, Quarterback said:

Don’t see the picking out a pass. Dan can pick out a pass and defend. That why he gets in everytime. Strangler is as they say in French as a ‘porteur d’eau’

I guess it depends on what you mean by "picking out a pass". For me, Phillips' passing is frustratingly hit and miss. At times he can play a perfect cross-field pass to a team mate's feet but he often seems just as likely to needlessly give the ball away. He's brilliant at shielding the ball and chucking himself about and has some great technique at times but I'd really like to see him using the ball a lot more positively. He has two assists in his entire Saints career.

Sprangler might not be playing defence-splitting passes either but his ability to hold onto possession is probably better than anyone else in the whole squad. I'm sure someone posted up a graphic on Twitter a while back that showed his pass completion rate was miles ahead of the rest of the team's, though I'm afraid I can't find it now. When Sprangler was starting regularly I felt his main strength was probably his ability to calmly move the ball on to another Saints player even when being harried by two or three opponents. I think we've really missed that since he's been benched.

Maybe my memory is putting Sprangler on a bit of a pedestal, due to the frustration of him not getting picked, but I've always been happy with his passing ability.

Anyway, as we all know, it won't happen. It was just a wayward thought that cropped up in my mind.

For what it's worth, I still think our strongest midfield is Phillips, Matt Smith and Sprangler.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I'm sure someone posted up a graphic on Twitter a while back that showed his pass completion rate was miles ahead of the rest of the team's

This is the best i can get currently. 

Screenshot_20240220_172848_Chrome.thumb.jpg.21a944078536383f215cb73536edc3e4.jpg

I like Sprangler and think his stats suffer due to how hes been used by Levein/Kirk, but also think hes not a massive needle shifter for us. In certain games he should absolutely be playing and has been ignored though, and i dont know why.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I like Sprangler and think his stats suffer due to how hes been used by Levein/Kirk, but also think hes not a massive needle shifter for us. In certain games he should absolutely be playing and has been ignored though, and i dont know why.

I agree to the extent that indivudallly I don’t think he alone can come in and win matches with individual brilliance… however I think his presence would be key. I think the way he would change the dynamic would shift the needle. We all of a sudden become a ball playing team with a bit of bite - that rubs off on those around you rather than what we have at present which is Smith, Phillips and Carey trying to bring Kucheriavyi up to level.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

This is the best i can get currently. 

Screenshot_20240220_172848_Chrome.thumb.jpg.21a944078536383f215cb73536edc3e4.jpg

Does anyone know why Spangler is ignored ?.

He is a ball winner and there were a  couple of occasions He got the ball back after Phillips lost on the 18 yard line.

He doesn't look to great going forward but what we need is a ball winner to get the ball and pass it to someone like Carey to make the killer pass.

While I am on about midfielders not doing their job. On Sunday in the second half , Matty Smith I think it was let the ball run out for a throw in in the corner when he could have got the ball and set up a move . Instead we had to take a throw in deep in our half and everyone knows how poor we are at keeping possession at throw ins .

9 hours ago, Cagey said:

Does anyone know why Spangler is ignored ?.

He is a ball winner and there were a  couple of occasions He got the ball back after Phillips lost on the 18 yard line.

He doesn't look to great going forward but what we need is a ball winner to get the ball and pass it to someone like Carey to make the killer pass.

Yep, there's definitely been at least one occasion where Sprangler has bailed Phillips out with a last ditch tackle.

I personally feel that if we had Sprangler sitting in front of the defence it would allow Phillips a bit of extra freedom to up his game a bit. I really feel a player of Phillips' strength and ability should be doing more - he should be more of a box-to-box player, charging forward at times to help out with attacks and giving us an extra body into the box. If he had license to play like that it could help to shift the whole team that little bit further up the park when we have the ball. To me he just seems a bit shackled at times, and TBH that'll probably be what stops him from getting a better move.

9 hours ago, Cagey said:

While I am on about midfielders not doing their job. On Sunday in the second half , Matty Smith I think it was let the ball run out for a throw in in the corner when he could have got the ball and set up a move . Instead we had to take a throw in deep in our half and everyone knows how poor we are at keeping possession at throw ins .

I thought that was an odd decision from Smith too. I wondered if he maybe thought it was going out for a goal kick? Weird otherwise.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I thought that was an odd decision from Smith too. I wondered if he maybe thought it was going out for a goal kick? Weird otherwise.

The camera went to a close up of him as he let it run out and he was absolutely ****ed.

Assume he thought getting a breather better than trying to run with it when hes breathing out his arse.

Clement saying Cantwell  is out for a month because of the treatment he received at St Johnstone , hamstring injury ?.

the only injuries he got is by diving up in the air and landing on his head.  His sole goal is to get players booked or sent off.

don't know the referees have not sussed him out by now , perhaps they are more than happy to be conned.