A Well Done, A Quick Update And ...

WeAreBurnley

a big up to both clubs and all the people involved.

Firstly well done for the cup win. I'm sure a few were worried the departure of the manager could adversely affect the performance but you clearly did just fine in his abscence. A big well done - I hope you can build on the success and push up the table.

Secondly I see Coyle has made a move for Sandy Stewart and that he has agreed to join us. I am pleased that this whole business seems to have been conducted fairly and with decorum by all parties and that even now agreement can be made to accomodate your needs in the short term with our needs. I wish all football deals could be concluded in this manner.

Finally Coyles first match in charge. I didn't expect to see much change and wasn't dissapointed - though we did largely keep the ball on the floor. Coyle patrolled the technical area for 90 minutes in the pouring rain (minus umbrella note Steve McClown), seemed to kick every ball and got very excited everytime a winger got a chance to run at the opposition, urging them forwards. He has a really tough run of 11 games between now and January the 2nd, starting with Charlton and Watford away. As baptisms of fire go its about as close as the Championship comes to having to play Rangers and Celtic away in your first 2 games.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a big up to both clubs and all the people involved.

Firstly well done for the cup win. I'm sure a few were worried the departure of the manager could adversely affect the performance but you clearly did just fine in his abscence. A big well done - I hope you can build on the success and push up the table.

Secondly I see Coyle has made a move for Sandy Stewart and that he has agreed to join us. I am pleased that this whole business seems to have been conducted fairly and with decorum by all parties and that even now agreement can be made to accomodate your needs in the short term with our needs. I wish all football deals could be concluded in this manner.

Finally Coyles first match in charge. I didn't expect to see much change and wasn't dissapointed - though we did largely keep the ball on the floor. Coyle patrolled the technical area for 90 minutes in the pouring rain (minus umbrella note Steve McClown), seemed to kick every ball and got very excited everytime a winger got a chance to run at the opposition, urging them forwards. He has a really tough run of 11 games between now and January the 2nd, starting with Charlton and Watford away. As baptisms of fire go its about as close as the Championship comes to having to play Rangers and Celtic away in your first 2 games.

Thanks mate,. Hope your season picks up and you finish 2nd

serious question here and truly no disrespect intended. How many of your players do you think would be upto the standard required?

If I was to say our biggest areas of weakness are central midfield and probably cover at the back due to injuries , are there players in your squad who you hink he might try to tempt darn sarf?

serious question here and truly no disrespect intended. How many of your players do you think would be upto the standard required?

If I was to say our biggest areas of weakness are central midfield and probably cover at the back due to injuries , are there players in your squad who you hink he might try to tempt darn sarf?

No there all shite ...Now stop asking questions :evil:

My previous post was largely tongue in cheek. I doubt any of our current squad would be targets for Owen. If he is looking to bring anyone from up here he would probably go for SPL players. I'm sure we could give you a good game and might well win in a one off game, but week in week out I'm sure the standard in the Championship is considerably higher than in our First Division.

:shock: If no disrespect is intended then I would suggest you chose your words more wisely!

Standard required to sit in the 13th spot of the championship? All of them.

No offence intended but lets get a bit realistic here. You have just appointed Owen Coyle not Sir Alex Ferguson. Look at our recent run of results under Colyle & Stewarts leadership...

You've missed the boat I'm afraid anyone 'Up to Standard' left at the end of last season when Coyle and Stewart failed to gain us promotion. Since then there have been a bunch of panic buys and loans with some real stinkers that wouldnt get a game for the Saturday Schoolboys let alone atain the dizzy heights of the Burnley 'Standard'.

Please do remember that this is not an official or unofficial Burnley love in, you wanted Coyle, you have him good luck you'll need it. The Stoke game was a taste of things to come enjoy the draws there will be plenty! (If you are lucky).

:shock: If no disrespect is intended then I would suggest you chose your words more wisely!

No offence intended but lets get a bit realistic here. You have just appointed Owen Coyle not Sir Alex Ferguson. Look at our recent run of results under Colyle & Stewarts leadership...

You've missed the boat I'm afraid anyone 'Up to Standard' left at the end of last season when Coyle and Stewart failed to gain us promotion. Since then there have been a bunch of panic buys and loans with some real stinkers that wouldnt get a game for the Saturday Schoolboys let alone atain the dizzy heights of the Burnley 'Standard'.

Please do remember that this is not an official or unofficial Burnley love in, you wanted Coyle, you have him good luck you'll need it. The Stoke game was a taste of things to come enjoy the draws there will be plenty! (If you are lucky).

Ohh get you. I meant no disrespect as in I have no idea what the standard is in the Scottish first division.

Not expecting a Burnley love in but I did'nt realise you found it so offensive for a Burnley fan to post - or is it cause I is Engleesh? - but now you've said fair play. I'll make like a tree and go.

Good luck for the season lads, I'll keep an eye out for your results and maybe come back incognito with a future update post Christmas when there'll be something to report.

Excellent rant and valid points.

After seeing your mob on Saturday I would tend to agree that your central midfield is the biggest problem (that and getting a pair of shorts to fit David Unsworth) and I think Martin Hardie could do a job for you but Coyle might thik he's a wee bit too old. I can't see him going for anyone else, although as others say Anderson could be one for the future. I also think you need a decent striker, you had a lot of possession on Saturday but not a lot of decent chances, I would imagine he'll look at trying to get Jason Scotland in January and possibly some others from Scotland but more than likely SPL as oppose to first division. As I said on the other thread, the gap between the Scottish First and the Championship is nowhere near as wide as people down here think, having seen a fair few League 1 sides we'd easily compete with them (on a much, much smaller budget than most) and we're not playing paricularly well at the moment.

After seeing your mob on Saturday I would tend to agree that your central midfield is the biggest problem (that and getting a pair of shorts to fit David Unsworth) and I think Martin Hardie could do a job for you but Coyle might thik he's a wee bit too old. I can't see him going for anyone else, although as others say Anderson could be one for the future. I also think you need a decent striker, you had a lot of possession on Saturday but not a lot of decent chances, I would imagine he'll look at trying to get Jason Scotland in January and possibly some others from Scotland but more than likely SPL as oppose to first division. As I said on the other thread, the gap between the Scottish First and the Championship is nowhere near as wide as people down here think, having seen a fair few League 1 sides we'd easily compete with them (on a much, much smaller budget than most) and we're not playing paricularly well at the moment.

Ohh get you. I meant no disrespect as in I have no idea what the standard is in the Scottish first division.

Not expecting a Burnley love in but I did'nt realise you found it so offensive for a Burnley fan to post - or is it cause I is Engleesh? - but now you've said fair play. I'll make like a tree and go.

Good luck for the season lads, I'll keep an eye out for your results and maybe come back incognito with a future update post Christmas when there'll be something to report.

Youre welcome back anytime. Good luck.

Read my post.

My offence was taken at your reference to 'Standard' your implication is that a lower table championship side is of higher 'Standard' than my beloved SJFC which is total boll*cks - Your club has far greater resource that ours and are still floundering - Go figure.

I couldnt care less what nationality you hail from its the arrogance of your post that p*ssed me off!

I have no issue at all with any fans of other clubs who post on here (perhaps with the exception of DFC fans), fair play to them its good to have a look outside the SJFC world from time to time and engage in 'The Banter'. I do however expect a bit of respect / decorum when referencing our club against yours.

Upshot is that I wouldnt want to discourage anyone from posting here but if they p*ss me off then I will mention it just as I would expect a barracking if I offended anyone else.

Its not good to bottle these things up you know.

:D

I went to your game on Saturday with TheBigCheese, on our way up to Scotland for the Saints game - have to say it was pretty dire stuff! I did think your right-winger (Elliott??) looked like a good player, and your team seemed capable of playing some quite nice football on the ground when they wanted to, but seemed to have nothing up front or in the centre of midfield.

All in all though, I really don't think there's much of a gulf in standard between Burnley and St Johnstone. Without a shadow of a doubt, Martin Hardie would make a big difference to your team. I also think we have some other players who could comfortably have played at your level, but most are too old now to be considered for such a move - Stanic, Sheerin, Main and McInnes would certainly be included on that list.

To be honest though I don't think Coyle will try to sign any Saints players. I do think he might try to get Jason Scotland though, and I think that Simon Mensing's versatility and attitude could also make him a possible candidate.

It was quite a miserable game of football on Saturday, what with the lack of goals and the awful weather, but I do hope to see a bit more of Burnley over the coming months to see how things are progressing. I'll probably make an effort to go an see them when they play down here in London. Good luck!

Read my post.

My offence was taken at your reference to 'Standard' your implication is that a lower table championship side is of higher 'Standard' than my beloved SJFC which is total boll*cks - Your club has far greater resource that ours and are still floundering - Go figure.

I couldnt care less what nationality you hail from its the arrogance of your post that p*ssed me off!

I have no issue at all with any fans of other clubs who post on here (perhaps with the exception of DFC fans), fair play to them its good to have a look outside the SJFC world from time to time and engage in 'The Banter'. I do however expect a bit of respect / decorum when referencing our club against yours.

Upshot is that I wouldnt want to discourage anyone from posting here but if they p*ss me off then I will mention it just as I would expect a barracking if I offended anyone else.

Its not good to bottle these things up you know.

:D

Chill out fer fecks sake