Same wavelength

ShakespeareBar

Despite defeats for both Dundee and Saints yesterday, I'm sure deep down both managers are relieved in a way. The league is everything this season so not being bothered again with this cup will keep the focus on the league. Some fans will be grumpy about it but others will be glad it's over with and out of the road. I certainly am, winnig cups like this will be worthless if it means injuries etc resulting in finishing second in the league. Both of the clubs have a lot riding on this season, it's only a pity two teams don't go up but as I have said many times one promotion place in ANY league is ludicrous.

Despite defeats for both Dundee and Saints yesterday, I'm sure deep down both managers are relieved in a way. The league is everything this season so not being bothered again with this cup will keep the focus on the league. Some fans will be grumpy about it but others will be glad it's over with and out of the road. I certainly am, winnig cups like this will be worthless if it means injuries etc resulting in finishing second in the league. Both of the clubs have a lot riding on this season, it's only a pity two teams don't go up but as I have said many times one promotion place in ANY league is ludicrous.

As much as i hate my team losing, and enjoyed the previous cup runs of the last couple of seasons!! you could well have a point about going out of the challenge cup(especially)early and i agree one promoted team is just a joke!! but then the whole set up is crap and unless the top league goes to 16 soon i can see it killing of at least a couple of full time teams, or at the very least forcing them to go part time.And that cant be good can it?

I was with a Dundee fan last night. Yes, I know, but sometimes you have to. :-):-)

Anyway, he was of the opinion that both Dundee and Saints were not too bothered about winning their games, as the league is more important. Interesting to see how we do in the next cup run.

I don't think there's really any evidence to back up this theory that doing well in the Challenge Cup hampers you in the league. Sure, we might avoid some injuries and slightly tired legs - but at the same time a good win for Saints at Ross County would have boosted the team's confidence going into the league season. I'd definitely prefer to be going into the Livi game off the back of a 3-1 win than a 3-1 defeat. I think a good Cup run is often a catalyst for a team, and it can rub off on their league performances. We've reached the final of the Challenge Cup in 96/97, and went on to win the title by 20 points, so it didn't seem to do us much harm then.

I don't think there's really any evidence to back up this theory that doing well in the Challenge Cup hampers you in the league. Sure, we might avoid some injuries and slightly tired legs - but at the same time a good win for Saints at Ross County would have boosted the team's confidence going into the league season. I'd definitely prefer to be going into the Livi game off the back of a 3-1 win than a 3-1 defeat. I think a good Cup run is often a catalyst for a team, and it can rub off on their league performances. We've reached the final of the Challenge Cup in 96/97, and went on to win the title by 20 points, so it didn't seem to do us much harm then.

St. Mirren, Falkirk and Caley Thistle all won it the seasons they got promoted out of this league.

Lets be honest here folks, this is a professional football club with an extended squade of 25ish players, they should be competing in every match and competition they enter. I dont go along with this "it's only the challenge cup, it's a blessing in disguise" bollocks. I must of spent £250 mininum in total attending last season's run to the final, so I'm no accepting that crap.

The job isn't as hard as these primadonnas claim; do the job, get a cooshty pay packet, long summer holidays and a 4.5 day working week. ****s should get on with it and perform to the required standard IMO

It is the potential for injury that concerns me. How many limped off during that meaningless game ?

It's easy to say that now, but I'm sure all on here wouldn't have swapped last season's final for the world. Too many people travel to these so-called "meaningless" games to justify saying that.

I always felt a total apathy towards the Challenge Cup up until last season, surprise surprise.

Even at that though, I didn't really pay it any attention until we were in the semi.

Feel a bit the same this year, not bothered that we're out but if we won the cup again it would have made for another good piss up afterwards.

I do believe it could very well be a blessing in disguise, I've been concerned about the amount of injuries we've been picking up even before Saturday's game.

The squad is even smaller than it was last year, if we want a cup run lets save it for the scottish cup, at least by then we can have opened up a gap at the top of the league!!