The Poll. City or Town

THE LARK SAINT

Perth....City or Town  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Having city status is pretty meaningless in relation to today's language. I appreciate that Britain has a historic tradition of cathedral cities etc, but these days when people talk about a city they usually mean a proper metropolis. Who goes to Derby and thinks 'ah, now I'm in the big city!'??? Going by normal standards Perth probably deserves to be a city because of its history, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over the injustice - Preston may be an official city, but that doesnt make it any less shit, or make people want to go there.

I like to think of Perth as a city, but the word is completely meaningless. There's no set criteria for it these days, and even when there was a criteria (i.e. to have a cathedral), that criteria was pretty daft.

If Inverness is one, then I can think of no reason why Perth shouldn't be too - but, at the same time, there are far bigger places in England that don't have city status either. The whole notion is pointless, confusing and outdated.

• 3 weeks later...