#38 - 25/04/09 - Dundee (a)

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....well when i sang it, it was with a gruff Lee Marvin voice and it was pro Saints and pro Scotland. Maybe we weren't first, but then the 208 is only the third pub in Letham, not a patch on the Plough or the Welcome Inn :laugh:

I wouldn't even rate it that high, I didn't start going there until I moved from Letham to Tulloch. It's a Tulloch pub on the wrong side of the border :laugh:

I wouldn't even rate it that high, I didn't start going there until I moved from Letham to Tulloch. It's a Tulloch pub on the wrong side of the border :laugh:

ha ha love it braw .

i used to venture over the crieff road and visit the incy.i know how you feel.

Doon the line the Dundee train came a puffin...Saints 5 Dundee nothin :laugh:

gad that rings bells my grandad used to recite that to me when i was a kid - his version was "Doon the line the train came puffin st johnstone two dundee nuthin."

i have fond memories of the Boer War before any smart asses reply to this.

Tully claims: Having experimented successfully during last weekend’s win at Livingston, Dundee boss Jocky Scott is set to again go with a three-man central defence in Saturday’s Tayside derby against St Johnstone (writes Tom Duthie).

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/output/2009/04/23/gensport.shtm

If only we had wingers to exploit the space down the flanks............................. and no Swankie does not count!

It does make it tempting to start like this though:

Main

Irvine Rusty Caff Garters

Sammy Hardie Sheerin Morris Craig

Homer

Craig and Sammy bombing down the wing keeping their wide midfielders pinned back. Although Garters at left back is a bit of a worry

Right. So.

Main

Irvine Rusty Caff Craig

Samuel Hardie Morris/moon Sheerin

Savo Holmes

McLean, Millar, Gartland, Swankie/morris, Barrett

?

Main

Irvine - Rutkiewicz - McCaffrey - ???/Craig

Swankie/Millar - Hardie - Morris - Craig/Sheerin

??? - ???

Subbies: McLean, Defender, Midfielder, Midfielder, Striker

I'd prefer Craig in the midfield but is Ando's confidence shot and how is his injury? Is Kinniburgh just not an option? I can't really remember Samuel playing on the right of the midfield for us as McInnes seems to have used him on the left when not upfront but he has to be an option there. Probably not for me though to be honest. So between Swankie or Millar. Millar had a great impact at the weekend and on his first half of the season form would be a certain starter. You'd say he's the safe option but I thought he provided poor cover for Irvine at Dens in November and then there's the Millar/Morris problem if the latter is back. Swankie has been a let down in some big games, especially the last Dundee match but I have a feeling there is a performance in there if we can get a grip on things, which should be possible with Hardie and Morris.

Really not sure what I'd do up front. Holmes did well as a sub at the weekend and if the tempo is like the last meeting then there might not be much pretty football (although Morris should help us retain the ball better) played, with the ball going long a lot. You'd also fancy him to bully any of their three likely centre backs (Lauchlan, Benedictus and Cowan). I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are back to a back four though and Jocky Scott is just up to some old mind games, claiming they'll play a three. I think most of us having been saying for weeks that the Savo/Holmes partnership just isn't as productive as we'd like. There's evidence to contradict that but we aren't scoring as many goals as in previous seasons. You never know what you'll get with Samuel and Holmes and Barrett as a pairing are pretty much untested. Barrett maybe hasn't shown much in his first team outings but a couple of goals during the week help his cause. Thing to maybe consider with Savo though is he can pop up with a vital goal as he did against Thistle and has a decent recent scoring record against Dundee, with three in his last five matches. Guess it's the safe option to go with him and Holmes and then have Samuel on the bench.

If Ando doesn't start, I think he has to be on the bench ahead of Gartland and James as he can cover across the back four. I'd actually have James ahead of Gartland as well, for the set piece threat he carries if required.

Really tough decisions for McInnes to make outwith three of the back four and the goalkeeper though. Not really what you want at this stage of the season. The side should be picking itself by now and that's part of the reason we've been so unconvincing. And the thing is up until we went to Dens in November, we'd had a pretty settled side over the six game winning run.

Like many of you I would rather have Liam Craig in midfield but I think the most important thing is to ensure we dont lose the game cause a 2 point gap is a little too shady for even this trusted Saintee. I see the line up something like this and I doubt Morris will start the game.

Main

Irvine Rusty Caff Craig

Millar Hardie Sheerin Samuel

Milne Holmes

May I just add that I have thought about my own preferred line up too, not just what I expect it to be and I cant decide if Mooner fits into it with Morris and Hardie fit. Mooner has done so much since stepping in this season and I think he's got a good career ahead of him. Surprised not many members have put him in the starting line up either!

Great minds thinking like eh?

Main

Irvine Rusty Caff Craig

Millar Hardie Sheerin Samuel

Milne Holmes

Think putting craig in at left back is the best option.ando is short of confidence and thats the last thing we need going into a game we can win the league at ! Gartland is a decent player but he gives to many needless freekicks away. Dont think the hardie sheerin partnership did anything for us first half on sunday so id go with a half-fit morris and mooner !

Think putting craig in at left back is the best option.ando is short of confidence and thats the last thing we need going into a game we can win the league at ! Gartland is a decent player but he gives to many needless freekicks away. Dont think the hardie sheerin partnership did anything for us first half on sunday so id go with a half-fit morris and mooner !

I cant see two players that have been short of games being paired together in such an important game. Morris for me if the more likely name of the two.