Could We Lose McInnes?

CynicalSaintee

I rarely agree with you but I find it impossible to disagree on this point:laugh:

He's exactly the guy I would give the job to if Del buggers off although of course he might bugger off as well.

As for Hardie... No way. Infact I would go as far as to say apart from Alan Main I would not consider giving the job ( should it come up) to any of the current playing staff...

If Alan was gaffer, we'd have mass resignations!

I think Del would be a fool to go without Doc and pretty much likewise.

Del is strong enough to go it alone.

Me neither but Sandy Stewart fell into the same category and he's done very well. Our most successful manager ever, statistically, any chance he'd fancy another crack at the managerial whip, doubt he'd leave EPL though.

Don't think he's got the ability. Remember, twas him and Del that started that 4-3-3 carry on....

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'that 4-3-3 carry on', as you put it, is recognised as a proven system depending on the staff involved using it. The better the players (staff) the more systems they can adapt to week in week out as appropriate. As for doubting his abilities, I think thats harsh. He hasn't worked as manager with a team with satisfactory resources to prove his abilities, i.e. funds, players and facilities which we certainly have!

He is very complex character. The total lack of coverage of his record breaking achievements really tells its own story.

Hmm very cryptic. I just got the impression that the pair are a bit like hod-it and dod-it. I would be very surprised if they went their seperate ways if a bigger club came in.

'that 4-3-3 carry on', as you put it, is recognised as a proven system depending on the staff involved using it. The better the players (staff) the more systems they can adapt to week in week out as appropriate. As for doubting his abilities, I think thats harsh. He hasn't worked as manager with a team with satisfactory resources to prove his abilities, i.e. funds, players and facilities which we certainly have!

We couldn't compete against poor teams when we used it. It's a shambolic system. The last two league tables tell the story. 4-3-3 nowhere, 4-4-2 dominant. The players were much the same.

Hmm very cryptic. I just got the impression that the pair are a bit like hod-it and dod-it. I would be very surprised if they went their seperate ways if a bigger club came in.

Sorry, son. I was speaking about Main:oops:

My point about Del is fair simpler. He is suprememly confident (detractors and the jealous call it arrogance) and if Doc said, "Look mate, I'm settled in Perth." Del would say thanks and he'd move on without his sidekick.

With Owen and Sandy there was a longer history. Del and Doc are still quite fresh.

Del was interviewed by Radio Scotland today regards the Setanta saga, which struck me as a bit strange? Or perhaps its because we are one of the few clubs with a bona fide manager (at this moment in time).

If he were to be offered a gig at the baggies he would be a fool to knock it back. From what I can gather he hasnt as yet been 'rewarded' for his achievements yet due to the Setanta dosh fiasco - not criticism just what I read in various rags (including the PA).

Strange that I felt a lot more vitriol and animosity towards Owen when he left than I do at the prospect of McInnes leaving, he has done brilliantly for us in spite of some of the tripe we had to endure over the season.

Hope he stays I really do think that he could do something special in the SPL given that there is a lot of turmoil at the moment, with new managers left right and centre and setanta about to go tits could be there is an opportunity to get ahead of the game as it were with a settled manager and a settled squad.

Yup, it's me. I joined a while back but very rarely post anything. After reading some typically English opinions of our football standards I thought I would set the record straight.. It does seem that the majority of fans want Darren Ferguson but Dels second in their poll..

http://www.westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=42530.40;viewResults

From todays Brum Mail - Chris Lepkowski is the West Brom reporter for the paper and very well connected on various fronts at the club for these stories.

Derek McInnes refuses to be draw on West Brom link

Jun 10 2009 by Christopher Lepkowski, Birmingham Mail

Add a comment

Recommend

ST JOHNSTONE concede they will struggle to keep Derek McInnes if Albion decide to target their former promotion-winning captain.

The Baggies are still waiting to find out whether Celtic will match their £2million compensation package for manager Tony Mowbray.

Although Albion still hope to keep Mowbray, they will be mindful that they may need to prepare for a future without the 45-year-old Teessider.

And McInnes is likely to be near the top of Albion's hit-list should Mowbray leave for Parkhead.

The 37-year-old, who skippered Albion to promotion in 2002, remains highly-revered among senior Hawthorns officials, not least chairman Jeremy Peace.

McInnes has just taken St Johnstone into the SPL in his first full season as a manager and has already emerged as a target for Watford.

But the ex-Rangers man, who made 100 appearances during a three-year spell for Albion, will be keeping a close eye on events at The Hawthorns.

McInnes would certainly be a popular choice among many fans - his side also play passing football and built their success around a strong defence.

And St Johnstone chairman Geoff Brown admits the Perth-based club are braced for interest in their manager, who has just 12 months remaining on his current deal.

"We are expecting Derek to lead us into the Premier League," said Brown.

"He has had a lot going for him, including the backing of his board. Derek is still a rookie. But I wouldn't want to mislead our supporters. Every manager wants to better himself.

"It's a crazy world out there. With so many jobs vacant at the moment there are agents pushing their men as candidates and flying kites.

"And while we will do our best to hold on to Derek McInnes we have to be realistic. If someone comes in offering him the sort of money in a year that most people would happily retire on, he would go."

McInnes is refusing to get drawn into comment about his future.

"I have a good relationship with the chairman and I'm sure I will be the first to know if there is interest from elsewhere," he added.

"But I'm concentrating on the job I have here."

Meanwhile, Darren Ferguson, another potential candidate if Mowbray was to depart, has insisted he is content to stay Peterborough.

"I have always maintained that I'm happy here," he said.

"I still have a lot to learn and I intend to learn it here. I have no idea how good this team could be, but I can't wait to find out. That's all that matters to me right now."

I really like Darren Ferguson's style. He is obvioulsy determined to take the club to the highest level that he can.

I think McInnes should listen to the advice he gave Irvine- stay another season and learn the trade a little more. In a years time McInnes' stock will be even higher IMO, as Saints benefit from other teams having to cut their cloths.

At the end of the season GB said there was no need to rush with regard to extending Del's contract. This surprised me a bit considering Coyle's contract was extended almost immediately after we just lost out to Gretna. Now clubs are sniffing around GB Is talking about improving his contract. IMO this should have been done earlier as he was bound to be consdered for other managerial vacancies & with only a year left on his contract Saints won't receive much compensation.

I agree that GB should have acted sooner but he's already said that he needs to know the position with Setanta before he can offer Del the very best of offers. Remember GB is the guy we are all raving about considering the clubs current financial position so maybe to criticise him right now isn't appropriate just yet. Wait and see.

Not criticising GB just saying he should have acted when he signed up Rusty, McCaff, etc. He could have improved the new contract later if the Setanta money materialised. At least that way if a bigger club came in for him we'd be in a stronger position re compensation.

So we could lose our manager before we begin the SPL campaign -does that mean we could start the season without a Manager.....bearing in mind Celtic dragging their feet with Mowbray -who i dont think will hack it at Celtic.....Aberdeen screwing Motherwell and vice versa over Magee.....Strange