Scotland v Macedonia

Mike180279

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The key problem with people like you is you elevate players like McFadden only to say they don't reach those levels so you can turn around and accuse them of being "not as good as his reputation suggests".

He's a mostly average player who is capable of the occasional dynamite burst of skill and guile that can win us games. He isn't a superstar. He plays for Birmingham for **** sake.

What a load of tosh, so because he plays with birmingham he cant be a good player? so according to you, your not a good player unless you play for Barcelona Real or manchest united etc?

Mcfadden is the most skillful and technical player we have who can control a ball pass and create something others simply couldnt, mabey we dont have a xavi or a kaka or a gerrard but hes the best we have so give him some bloody support eh

Also Brown and S. Fletcher will go onto be better players than MacFadden.

I'll eat my hat if either scores the quality of goals McFadden has produced for his country. In a Scotland shirt there is no doubt he is made of 'legend' material. In a club shirt he maybe does not reach this level but nobody in this land can question what the guy has achieved in a scotland shirt. Goals of the very highest quality against the very highest quality.

No other player in a Scotland shirt can produce what he produces.

I'd rather have a player who produces his best for his country than for his club. Makes a very refreshing change to see a player inspired by the badge he displays on his shirt.

What a load of tosh, so because he plays with birmingham he cant be a good player? so according to you, your not a good player unless you play for Barcelona Real or manchest united etc?

Mcfadden is the most skillful and technical player we have who can control a ball pass and create something others simply couldnt, mabey we dont have a xavi or a kaka or a gerrard but hes the best we have so give him some bloody support eh

I was more leaning towards its a bit silly when one group of people imply McFadden is the scottish Ronaldo and the other group criticize him for not being the scottish Ronaldo when in fact he's a decent if not world-class player who plays for Birmingham.

Cheers for completley getting that wrong

I enjoyed that, it wasn't going to be easy. They were 2nd and were going to come with a view to getting a further result to stay there. They used all sorts of gamesmanship in order to keep their advantage to the point they were dirty bampots. However as the game went on to Scotland's credit we broke them down. I still think Scott Brown hit the ball to give them a goal kick but it hit off one of their players :laugh: but I might be wrong. Unfortunately that got our best player in McFadden booked for some strange reason. I hate to say it but I think Calum Davidson getting injured was a benefit to us because Whittaker was excellent and Hutton in the other full-back area was equally good. In fact it was a good all round performance and of course the great Craig Gordon was his usual brilliance.

Holland are a different proposition, let's hop they're not up for it and don't want injured for their club sides in La Liga, Serie 'A' and the Premiership. People say we have to win but I thought a draw would get us 2nd place unless the other six team groups 2nd placed teams are so far ahead... not sure. Here are the 2nd placed teams positions currently after taking away games against the bottom teams in the six team groups -

<TABLE style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-SIZE: 90%" class=wikitable><TBODY><TR><TH width=30>Grp</TH><TH width=180>

Team

v • d • e

</TH><TH width=30>Pld</TH><TH width=30>W</TH><TH width=30>D</TH><TH width=30>L</TH><TH width=30>GF</TH><TH width=30>GA</TH><TH width=35>GD</TH><TH width=30>AG</TH><TH width=30>Pts</TH><TH width=30>Notes</TH></TR><TR><TD>4</TD><TD align=left>22px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.pngRussia</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>+8</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>a,b</TD></TR><TR><TD>6</TD><TD align=left>22px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.pngCroatia</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>+3</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>a,b</TD></TR><TR><TD>7</TD><TD align=left>22px-Flag_of_France.svg.pngFrance</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>+1</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>a,b</TD></TR><TR><TD>2</TD><TD align=left>22px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.pngGreece</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>+3</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>a,b</TD></TR><TR><TD>8</TD><TD align=left>22px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.pngRepublic of Ireland</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>+2</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>a,b</TD></TR><TR><TD>9</TD><TD align=left>22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.pngScotland</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>−4</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>a</TD></TR><TR><TD>5</TD><TD align=left>22px-Flag_of_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina.svg.pngBosnia and Herzegovina</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>+8</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>a,b</TD></TR><TR><TD>3</TD><TD align=left>22px-Ulster_banner.svg.pngNorthern Ireland</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>−1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>a</TD></TR><TR style=BORDER-TOP: green 3px solid"><TD>1</TD><TD align=left>22px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.pngHungary</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>+1</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>a,b</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

notes

• a - Team is not guaranteed second place in their group
  • b - Sixth-placed team in group may change (so ranking of second-placed team may improve or worsen even if they do not play)

I was more leaning towards its a bit silly when one group of people imply McFadden is the scottish Ronaldo and the other group criticize him for not being the scottish Ronaldo when in fact he's a decent if not world-class player who plays for Birmingham.

Getting what wrong?

So basically, we're ****ed.

Even if we win, Russia, Coatia, France, Greece, Ireland can all still be better placed than us.

Not yet.

First we have to get 2nd place then we have to be in the top eight 2nd placed sides out of nine.

The key is Holland, their attitude after crusing through and of course Scotland's form on the night. I've got a feeling Holland won't let their standards drop because it's natural for them to pass the ball around at speed but as I said previously maybe their players might be thinking more of their clubs than the qualified national side - I hope. We'll see.

Realise this wasn't your response to me but there's a key phrase you use that I wana borrow.

My criticism is aimed more at the group of people who big him up as the "Scottish Ronanldo", than the player himself. Its the media and fans projection of this cult status and ledgend tag that I have a problem with. As I think he's fairly good but not great. Sorry my point was dpread over 3/4 posts can see why you'd miss the point if you hadnt seen them all :-)

i'd rather have a proven goalscorer than someone who runs about like a headless chicken and is likely to miss the few chances he gets

They've both played 44 games for Scotland, Miller scoring 11 and McFadden scoring 16. For some reason I though it was the other way round, but I'd still have Miller in ahead of McFadden if we were playing with one up fornt as he works so hard. Although he does often seem very isolated but that is as much to do with the supporting players as is it is to him.

Guest Bertrand

Millers second touch is a tackle

I was at the game yesterday and Miller spurned every chance he had, yeah he runs about but who cares? its not a marathon - at least McFadden scored one of his chances, what a goal as well...

If Graham Alexander EVER plays for Scotland again its a complete and utter disgrace. Worst player on the park by a mile. Hartley in 10 mins did more that GA for 90.

Good to see a solid performance from whittaker at LB - as for this Fox suddenly being scottish pish im not up for that - SW has given himself a good chance at cementing LB for himself now, good on him

Millers second touch is a tackle

I was at the game yesterday and Miller spurned every chance he had, yeah he runs about but who cares? its not a marathon - at least McFadden scored one of his chances, what a goal as well...

If Graham Alexander EVER plays for Scotland again its a complete and utter disgrace. Worst player on the park by a mile. Hartley in 10 mins did more that GA for 90.

Good to see a solid performance from whittaker at LB - as for this Fox suddenly being scottish pish im not up for that - SW has given himself a good chance at cementing LB for himself now, good on him

not sure why you think "if alexander ever plays for scotland again it would be a disgrace"??? Yes hartley is better than him but come on he didn't play that badly, i thought that he did his job v. well. Another point, i actually thought miller's touch was better than usual at yesterday's game but yeah it does usually turn into a tackle, haha cmon scotland

Realise this wasn't your response to me but there's a key phrase you use that I wana borrow.

My criticism is aimed more at the group of people who big him up as the "Scottish Ronanldo", than the player himself. Its the media and fans projection of this cult status and ledgend tag that I have a problem with. As I think he's fairly good but not great. Sorry my point was dpread over 3/4 posts can see why you'd miss the point if you hadnt seen them all :-)

He HAS a "cult status" for his wonder goals, and especially for the goal in Paris that all TA will remember for, that goal alone makes him a legend.

And for that alone he deserves the projection of "cult status".

Guest Bertrand
not sure why you think "if alexander ever plays for scotland again it would be a disgrace"??? Yes hartley is better than him but come on he didn't play that badly, i thought that he did his job v. well. Another point, i actually thought miller's touch was better than usual at yesterday's game but yeah it does usually turn into a tackle, haha cmon scotland

Because Alexander was the worst player on the park - for supposedly "protecting" the back four they seemed to be able to waltz past him with ease, and the amount of times he let his man run into the box without even getting close to him was shocking. The guy is just not international class - he got shown up against FYROM - I dread to think what the dutch, with fast passing and some pace , will do to him.

IMO if he plays we will get hammered, he's just not good enough and we will have no place for passenegers against the dutch.

Maloney as well but he's also horribly inconsistent!

Also Brown and S. Fletcher will go onto be better players than MacFadden.

Another thing Miller has done more for scotland long term. The games against Italy in the 2000/2002 qualifying campaigns. Works harder and always always gives 100% every game. He doesnt get the same spectacular results but he does try and he does get the odd goal.

As I said Im not saying he hasnt got that bit of skill and quality but he doesnt preform anywhere near as much as his reptation would suggest!

You obviously dont know the difference between a real footballer and the athletes who masquerade as footballers these days. Faddy is class, a real off the cuff player

Because Alexander was the worst player on the park - for supposedly "protecting" the back four they seemed to be able to waltz past him with ease, and the amount of times he let his man run into the box without even getting close to him was shocking. The guy is just not international class - he got shown up against FYROM - I dread to think what the dutch, with fast passing and some pace , will do to him.

IMO if he plays we will get hammered, he's just not good enough and we will have no place for passenegers against the dutch.

Totally agree. Waste o a jersey