Sainsburys

NeilSJFC

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tesco monopolise the town.

3 stores in one town ffs.

I vote an "aye" to sainsbury. Will give Perth a much needed jobs boost also.

Their PR department has clearly done a good job on you. Could you name any supermarket that has ever given a long-term jobs boost to any town? The answer is none, yet this fallacy that it creates jobs is trundled out every time another application goes in.

Supermarkets put small retailers – fishmongers, butchers, off-licences – out of business. They drive people away from their local high street, create unemployment, destroy choice and their profits are sucked out of the local area into shareholders' pockets.

• 3 months later...

we got

3 tesco`s

1 asda

1 morrison`s

1 lidl

1 aldi

Does perth really need anouther supermarket?

Yes we do but they are all minky!

Sorry but I am a real supermarket snob. Here is my list in order....

Waitrose....no chance of opening here.

Markies....quality!

Local shops...butcher....grocer....etc

Sainsbury....next level.

Co-op....fair trade.

then a f*cking big gap till

Morrisons..alright I suppose.

Tesco...hate them!

Massive gap.

Lidl, Aldi, ASDA. in that order. (Think I have been in them once each just to check them out!)

so there you go. That is why selfishly I want a Sainsbury

we got

3 tesco`s

1 asda

1 morrison`s

1 lidl

1 aldi

Does perth really need anouther supermarket?

Yes we do but they are all minky!

Sorry but I am a real supermarket snob. Here is my list in order....

Waitrose....no chance of opening here.

Markies....quality!

Local shops...butcher....grocer....etc

Sainsbury....next level.

Co-op....fair trade.

then a f*cking big gap till

Morrisons..alright I suppose.

Tesco...hate them!

Massive gap.

Lidl, Aldi, ASDA. in that order. (Think I have been in them once each just to check them out!)

so there you go. That is why selfishly I want a Sainsbury

You have really thought this one through!

I thought I had time on my hands!?!?

I can heartily recommend Waitrose's Goan Fish Curry!

The joys of living in Glasgow's West End! We have all of the above within a mile or two!

• 1 year later...

A BBC article this morning links to this Sainsbury's website outlining their pitch (has a questionnaire too). To address traffic concerns they are offering to widen the A85 approaches.

On balance I think I'm for this. I'm generally against such developments - supermarkets are modern evil empires and all that. I'm sure people will start bleating on about local, traditional traders going bust. That may have been true when the first superstores opened up but I don't think one more supermarket will adversely affect local traders much more than the existing glut of stores. Increased supermarket competition will be good for supermarket shoppers in the area.

It's hardly a fallacy that a large store could require around 450 staff. That many jobs is a really big deal and I don't agree that jobs will go in competing stores; certainly not 450 of them! It would be a net jobs increase for Perth.

They will need to address the traffic concerns properly. Turn off lanes will have to be significantly large to avoid tailbacks onto the A9 slip etc.

Edited by myDarlingBeefeater

A BBC article this morning links to this Sainsbury's website outlining their pitch (has a questionnaire too). To address traffic concerns they are offering to widen the A85 approaches.

On balance I think I'm for this. I'm generally against such developments - supermarkets are modern evil empires and all that. I'm sure people will start bleating on about local, traditional traders going bust. That may have been true when the first superstores opened up but I don't think one more supermarket will adversely affect local traders much more than the existing glut of stores. Increased supermarket competition will be good for supermarket shoppers in the area.

It's hardly a fallacy that a large store could require around 450 staff. That many jobs is a really big deal and I don't agree that jobs will go in competing stores; certainly not 450 of them! It would be a net jobs increase for Perth.

They will need to address the traffic concerns properly. Turn off lanes will have to be significantly large to avoid tailbacks onto the A9 slip etc.

thanks mDB for the Sainsbury link.

have completed my questionairre in favour of the store being built.

if Crieff road don't want one there, I would be very happy to have one built in Scone.

Was going to come on post much the same. Hope it goes ahead. As someone that lives close to crieff road, I don't think the traffic is as bad as some make out. A bit of variety will be good too.

The map they have on that website doesn't show any changes to the crieff road from its current form.

Hmm... I think it does. Not massively different but it looks like lanes have been extended and the westbound A85 has a proper slip to northbound A9 as it should have had from the start. Hopefully it will be enough.