You and St.Johnstone?

MUZZ

Used to travel to every game home and away with my Dad, whilst growing up, stopped all the away games as much for a few years but always had my Season ticket, last few years got the bug again big time, very rarely miss a game home or away now. I hate not being there and knowing what's going on, I know it's easy to listen to radio and watch on TV now but it's not the same as the feeling of being there and occassionally witnessing something you'll be telling the Grandkids about in years to come.

Also, this season the games have virtually all been very entertaining, good games of football to watch and a few good atmospheres to boot

I suppose my weird compulsion toward St Johnstone is one of the few remaining unexamined psychological tics I drag around.

If I think about it really hard - with my eyes scrunched shut and my tongue poking out - I suppose it was about acceptance. I was 9 or 10 when I moved to Perth and The Cool Kid at school was a Saintee... Deciding whether or not to jump on the bandwagon wasn't a tough call.

We went to games against the likes of Dumbarton, Clydebank and Airdrie on a Saturday afternoon for £2. We prowled along the front row of the Ormond Stand before kick off, calling with tiny-bollocked voices for autographs from Paul Cherry, Andy Rhodes, and Tommy Turner. The men in the stand above us had moustaches, wore leather jackets and stank of cigarettes and beer. Pure eighties throwbacks. That was my Perth in the early 90's.

Looking back, I'm hard pressed to find where the obvious "cool" factor is in all of that. We were pish, Rangers were in the middle of nine-in-a-row and I was being told to sit down by a grizzled old steward smoking a rolly-up at McDiarmid Park just so I could be judged "sound" in the playground. In the meantime, I lost a chunk of my heart to a tiny club from a town I've got nothing to do with. Funny how things work out, isn't it?

I think those initial underdog experiences have a lot to do with how I look at the world in general these days: I'll always side, in any given situation, with the metaphorical little guy; I've got no respect for big-time Charlies; and I'm definitely a hopeless romantic. Give me an outside bet over a banker any day. Stupid? Probably. Cool? Abso-****ing-lutely.

Come on you Saints!

My dad told me Saints were the bizz i n1963 and I believed him. I cannot or would want to get them out from under my skin. I have been in every corner or Scotland and beyond and never lost it .Still get a huge buzz from going but still not the same as running upstairs at Florence Place. Saints are so much part of my life. Just to see them live makes my day.

It's true - supporters of "big" teams used to a high level of relative success don't know what it is to be a REAL football fan.

Got to agree, the feeling I get when we get beat makes me realise how much Saints means, as does the feeling when we win.

Especially the feeling after that Grady goal at Ross county....took me about 3 weeks to get a smile back on my face!

When you go to places like Clyde and Brechin and see your team get beat in the challenge cup, lose 7-0 to rangers, James Grady scores in the 90 odd minute, when Kevin Fortherigham plays for you, it makes the highs of last years promotion, sheerins wonder goal against Dundee, winning at Ibrox all worth while

I hate missing St Johnstone games which is weird when I have never lived in Perth and only my family have, you just fall into the routine and its a labour of love

Like reading the threads but do not normally post as most of you guys seem to know each other so I feel like I am butting in. However having moved away when I was eighteen and having three kids and one grandaughter supporting Saints then my credentials are good. At the Killie game where my three year granddaughter is shouting Come on Ye Saints in a Motherwell accent is sweet revenge on all the Celtic and Rangers scarfs at school in the 60,s and 70's. First saw Saints live in 64/65 season 0-3 against Hearts and 1-3 against Dunfermline - you get used to losing and that makes the wins feel so great - Jim Townsend thunderbolt to beat Rangers at Muirton in 66/67 in my memory was only for a draw according to the book! We did thrash Rangers at Ibrox with an overhead winner from Savo did'nt we? I heard Johnny Beattie on the radio before the Wales game on Saturday obviously looking forward to the game and saying that this is what makes you feel that "life is for living" - thats what makes me go and see Saints - no matter how low you feel that feeling waiting for the game to start never goes away - and even when you lose you know there is always hope! Who would have thought I would see them play in Monaco, what a team, Come on ye Saints!

Totally gets in your blood supporting Saints. Something for which there is no cure. Actually felt guilty about not being able to sleep the night after losing the league to Gretna. Not like anyone died, just a dream.

For a lot of us non Perth residents it gives us a real link to our home town. Like the Perth chat as I remember some of the stuff from when I was wee. Perfectly settled in the sunny west but Saints remind me of me roots. :shock:

I'm a born and bred west coast girl who was born into a mixed old firm family. Dad Rangers and Mum Celtic. Moved to Perthshire when I was 10 and during my primary school years we used to get free tickets for Saints games. I went along to the games, uninspired until I met my now boyfriend. He took me to a game on my 16th birthday and from then on I was pretty much hooked. Think it was Goran Stanic to be honest. What a player! My boyfriend is a life-long Saintee who moved abroad 2 years ago so I go to all the games I can for him. Constantly on the phone to him during matches keeping him up-to-date with the game. How romantic :laugh: