Christianity

saint sid

...like all other religions before it, in a few hundred years will be viewed by everyone in the same way as we now view the likes of ancient Greek, Roman and Norse belief systems. In other words, fairytales. My heart bleeds for those who continue to die in the name of somebody else's "faith".

hmmm thats like saying all footy fans say there team is best but fact is the saints fan is right - all the rest are wrong FACT! :)

No it's not!! Okay, the argument over who is best will, in some circumstances, be dubious....but, say, who is better, Saints or Barcelona? Ok, I love Saints, but clearly Barcelona are a better team. The big difference is that there is clear eveidence that both teams do actually exist and if one exists then it doesn't mean that the other cannot....I think :confused:

...like all other religions before it, in a few hundred years will be viewed by everyone in the same way as we now view the likes of ancient Greek, Roman and Norse belief systems. In other words, fairytales. My heart bleeds for those who continue to die in the name of somebody else's "faith".

Just glad there was no comma in front of greek !

No it's not!! Okay, the argument over who is best will, in some circumstances, be dubious....but, say, who is better, Saints or Barcelona? Ok, I love Saints, but clearly Barcelona are a better team. The big difference is that there is clear eveidence that both teams do actually exist and if one exists then it doesn't mean that the other cannot....I think :confused:

???? too confusing for me.

i do agree saints barcelona and many religions do exist

Never mind the likes of Christianity, Islam, etc, think what they're going to say about the mugs who follow Scientology :shock:

Never mind the likes of Christianity, Islam, etc, think what they're going to say about the mugs who follow Scientology :shock:

Is it really any worse than any of the rest? I think its funny when people who believe in the so called "proper" religions laugh at the people with other minority beliefs that are equally as ridiculous.

Is it really any worse than any of the rest? I think its funny when people who believe in the so called "proper" religions laugh at the people with other minority beliefs that are equally as ridiculous.

You're right - there is a propensity for followers of any faith to ridicule the other ones - the classic "My God's Bigger Than Your God" mentality (there's a great track by the Anti-Nowhere League with the same name, on the same subject, but I digress...)

Scientology is certainly not worse than any of the others. Yes, they are an aggressive, insular bunch, and they split up a few families here and there - cults do that sort of thing. But remember scientology don't fly airliners into tall buildings, and don't burn their heretics at the stake. At least not yet...

On the subject of anti-religion, I heartily recommend this book to you all.

The whole idea of religion is Faith and whichever religion it is, people who do not "beleive" will pick fault with it all. The people who have Faith are happy in beleiving in whatever GOD they wish........ Unfortunately in this world we cannot please everyone...........

........Especially Neil Lennon.........And to some he is GOD...:laugh:

Just to clear it up...Im actually an athiest. But what Im saying is I have a lot more understanding of people who have followed a religion (be it Christianity, Islam, Pagan, etc etc) that has been going for a few thousand years, passed on generation to generation, and was started when these so called 'miracles' etc were common and people were more susceptible to believing in these miracles.

But to follow a religion today that was started by a science fiction writer, who a couple of years before starting his 'church' said in an interview "The best way to get rich in America these days is to start a religion". And then went and took ideas straight out of his science-FICTION books and passed them off as gospel.

Seriously though if is inevitable that something exists beyond our understanding and some call it god, allah. Yawehh etc. As long as you do not use your beliefs to harm me, mine or anything hold dear then I have no problem with your choice. Never see. The point of ridiculing people for their beliefs.

Edited by The Neutral

Never read that, but this is worth a read as well

Hitchens is one of my heroes. Even if you're a believer you couldn't fail to be bown away by the way he destroys his theist opponents in his many debates posted on YouTube. An ascerbic wit who argues his anti-theist point of view with all the subtlety of a mallet in the puss.

"God Is Not Great - How Religion Poisons Everything" Every church, mosque and synagogue should have it's own copy. :laugh:

Get well soon Hitchmeister!

Christianity---- one womens attempt to explain her affair that got out of hand.... ;)

Seriously though if is inevitable that something exists beyond our understanding and some call it god, allah. Yawehh etc. As long as you do not use your beliefs to harm me, mine or anything hold dear then I have no problem with your choice. Never see. The point of ridiculing people for their beliefs.

But that's the point Neutral. Religion DOES harm people. Everyone. Big time. Forget the "prestige" Al-Quaeda atrocities - you only have to look at the staggering body count Islamic extremism leaves in it's own backyard to appreciate what a devastating cancer "faith" actually is. Any god virus is spread generation to generation simply by accident of birth. If this forum had been based in Saudi Arabia, this thread would have been titled "Islam" by default. Actually, the original poster would aready have been rounded up and thrown in jail or even murdered for something like "blasphemy". We are meant to be living in the 21st century. We now know the earth isn't flat. Or the centre of the universe. Or that snakes don't talk and dead people don't get up and walk about - it's up to us to start educating people away from dogma and superstition. In my book, if someone of faith thinks they have the right to start a riot over some cartoons, or spout their bile on the streets of Wooton Bassett in the name of some invisible sky daddy, that gives me the right to ridicule it for all it's worth.

But that's the point Neutral. Religion DOES harm people. Everyone. Big time. Forget the "prestige" Al-Quaeda atrocities - you only have to look at the staggering body count Islamic extremism leaves in it's own backyard to appreciate what a devastating cancer "faith" actually is. Any god virus is spread generation to generation simply by accident of birth. If this forum had been based in Saudi Arabia, this thread would have been titled "Islam" by default. Actually, the original poster would aready have been rounded up and thrown in jail or even murdered for something like "blasphemy". We are meant to be living in the 21st century. We now know the earth isn't flat. Or the centre of the universe. Or that snakes don't talk and dead people don't get up and walk about - it's up to us to start educating people away from dogma and superstition. In my book, if someone of faith thinks they have the right to start a riot over some cartoons, or spout their bile on the streets of Wooton Bassett in the name of some invisible sky daddy, that gives me the right to ridicule it for all it's worth.

Unfortunately whatever mankind touches will be taken to extremes ( the misanthropic part of me coming out) The vast majority of Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc are peaceful and follow their books with a semblance of peace.

Once major religion that does poke a hole in what you're saying ( and please don't get me wrong I am completely against religion being used for oppression and agree in the while with what you say ) is Buddhism.. although that is more a belief in bettering oneself but a religion non the less :razz:

Hitchens is one of my heroes. Even if you're a believer you couldn't fail to be bown away by the way he destroys his theist opponents in his many debates posted on YouTube. An ascerbic wit who argues his anti-theist point of view with all the subtlety of a mallet in the puss.

"God Is Not Great - How Religion Poisons Everything" Every church, mosque and synagogue should have it's own copy. :laugh:

Get well soon Hitchmeister!

Im a big fan of Hitchens aswell. Ive spent countless hours watching all the debates and clips on youtube. The one with him and Stephen Fry against the Catholic Church is one of my personal favourites.

Sadly though, he knows hes probably fighting a losing battle with his cancer.

I remember once reading about a study of a differing selection of atheists done by a Uni (or something similair).

One part of the study was that all the people were connected to a lie detector test and asked if they "truely believed there was not a god". Everyone of them confirmed their belief their was no god. The test came back with an interesting report- 80% were resulted to having told a lie. Deep down they did believe there was a god of some sort.

Maybe explains why certain people get so 'worked up' when others have faith?

I remember once reading about a study of a differing selection of atheists done by a Uni (or something similair).

One part of the study was that all the people were connected to a lie detector test and asked if they "truely believed there was not a god". Everyone of them confirmed their belief their was no god. The test came back with an interesting report- 80% were resulted to having told a lie. Deep down they did believe there was a god of some sort.

Maybe explains why certain people get so 'worked up' when others have faith?

would this not be a result of if they're is a god he's probably not religious

The whole idea of religion is Faith and whichever religion it is, people who do not "beleive" will pick fault with it all. The people who have Faith are happy in beleiving in whatever GOD they wish........ Unfortunately in this world we cannot please everyone...........

Why do people need to believe in anything?

Faith is just folk suspending credulity in order to make themselves feel better.

Aren't we a bit advanced as a civilisation for Fairy stories?