Forfar friendly

Dev

Nothing to write home about no sign of the new keeper Spanish guy is like a whippet and a little cunning to go with it shocking corner taker though. Peaso greedy as ever but looks good agh yes he got the other goal...

Lawrie likes to get forward we will see when he settles in. jason made second half appearance looks eager to get on with it actually put in a fair bit of work. coyle came on in the second half moaned like f*** as usual..

Big scary thing really was the appearance of Jim Wier in the second half. FFs if Saints are using Jim as back up cover thats worrying with kevin James injury record..

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agh nearly forgot to mention although he was taken of early in the second half Mcmanus actually looks like a football player. He seemed more happy on the deck with the ball and always wanted to make the pass rather than the punt. On the down side most of his passes were cut out by a Forfar side that looked happier flooding the midfield than anywhere else

is the spanish boy better than what we have or will we not pursue it any further?

You would really need more of a look. I would have thought OC would have had him on for a full shift as he knew what others were capable of. What i would say is he offers anothers dimension to the play with his speed and strength. He got beyond there center half a couple of times and stood his ground taking the ball on the drop leaving the back four for dead and one thing i did like is for once we see a player who wants to hit the byline rather than Ryan looping hopeless balls to our midget front line. he wanted to get past the man and send the ball in for strikers to run on to but as I said couldnt make your mind up in one game....

Pretty much agree with what Broggy's said on the match. Manuel looked promising but it was really difficult to judge him because by the time he'd come on we were into that typical second-half stage you always get in friendlies where loads of changes have been made and the team's completely lost its shape. I'd like to see him play a game from the start so that we can see what he's like in a solid formation and he knows what his position is.

Saints looked a bit shaky at the back at times I thought, but nothing to panic over. Peaso's goal (our first) was an absolute peach - he calmly lobbed it over their keeper, who was admittedly one of the worst goalies I've seen in a long time, but it was still a wonderful little piece of skill. Savo had a few howlers at the start & looked a bit out of practice, but in the end was unlucky not to have a hat-trick. Scotland put in a power of work when he came on, and looked like he's maybe quite a bit ahead of some of the others in terms of fitness at the moment. And The Wizard is still a wizard. So, as they say in Macedonia, all's good in the hood.

And The Wizard is still a wizard.

I just met Wizard at Tesco's! :lol::wink:

Pretty much agree with what's been written above! Not too much to add except i thought Forfar were a poor side, didn't realise they had so many trialists in the team due to only listening out for Saints line up!

Worrying when we have Ole Jimbo coming on in the second half, i hope it was just for a kick about as our youths were away (or so i have heard!) as there were none involved today and i would far rather see the likes of Dyer getting a shot!

Soooooooooooo glad to see Peaso back though, cracking finish for him and hopefully there will be no flare up and he'll be able to get a good preseason under his belt!

But to quote broggyman "Nothing to write home about" :)

Midfield will not get out muscled very often, but may get outpaced now and again,as there wasn't much pace in ours today.Comfy win against poor opposition.My main concern was Peaso seemed to be injured right on half time,and was talking to Atholl and shaking his head as he went up the tunnel, just hope it's nothing serious,cause he looked really lively and seemed to be on the same wavelength as Savo while they were paired.Need tom see more of Basil to form an oppinion,but looked good.

Worrying when we have Ole Jimbo coming on in the second half, i hope it was just for a kick about as our youths were away (or so i have heard!) as there were none involved today and i would far rather see the likes of Dyer getting a shot!

The youths are taking part in a tournament in Oban this weekend. AFAIK Anderson, Scrabble and Dobbie are with them.

Looks like we didn't get clearance for Howarth as he was out for the pre match kickabout but didn't appear for the game. Thought Saints played as good as i've seen them in their first pre season game, controlled most of the match and should have been about 5 up by half time. Good to see Peaso and Savo back in the team :D

Jason looked fitter than the rest but because of his extra training during the World Cup, I would expect him to be knackered before the season's out.

I liked the look of Manuel, he's fast, showed some good touches, likes to take players on but as everyone's said, it'd be better to see him play for an entire game or more than 20mins anyway :roll:

The result against Forfar every year at this time means nothing in terms of the fans other than to see a new player or two. All friendlies should be played away from home or behind closed doors until say the week before when they are just about geared up. Then they could play a more prestigious team but this is not really necessary. I understand why the club are thinking this way again.I'm not sure but I think we got beat 1-0 last year by Forfar and were quoted as 3rd favourites but the year before we won 4-1, the year before that 5-1, the year before that 1-0. :?:

Temple reports up now but FWIW we looked better than I expected but there wasn't a standout.

Basil looks like a decent player - he stayed far up the park and had a good turn of pace but seemed to suffer from poor service from Ryan. As for the other signings McManus looked ok but I thought that while Lawrie got some good crosses in early in the game he was caught napping some times when Forfar broke and he was still up the park.

Peaso and Savo looked sharp and Jason put in a good shift as did Jacko (which I must admit IMHO puts him ahead of Dobbie for a starting jersey). I thought TripleEm was our best player though even if he just played the 2nd half. Decent goal and helped support the attacks.

That's what I'm worried about!

To be honest McManus and Mensing will be ahead of Ando to partner the Rusty One and James in defence. Dobbie is slipping further and further behind (Jackson looked very good today). As for Scrabble, I think he deserves a chance to win a place in the team but he's not better than Stanic in the wing-back role although he could challenge Sheerinho for the left midfield position.

I have to admit, although we didn't play very well yesterday we did have a very understrength side on.

Of the Starting line up I would say there was 4, possibly 5 players who I would class as being first team starters (and that includes one of the trialists who will probably sign now).

Couple of first teamers came on at half time which probably helped a bit - but at end of day it was just a friendly.

Was impressed with St Johnstone, although its hard to compare with Dundee's performance against us on Tuesday, as we had a much stronger team out.

Not sure what to make of that. Any reason those three have been sent to Oban?

I THINK they won 3 and lost 2 games. Or lost 3 and won 2! When i was being told i wasn't in a great state..........

However, Neil Jancjyk went with them! AFAIK the other 2 didn't! :wink:

while we we never excellent i thought we were solid enough,considering the that was the first outing of the pre season.

some neat football was played at times and thankfully route one was avoided most of the time.

like some other posters, i reckon mmm had a good second half and he took his goal well.

manuel looked ok in his short stint and hopefully he will get 90 minutes, or certainly longer, on tuesday.

glad to see peaso and savo link up pretty well.

Not sure what to make of that. Any reason those three have been sent to Oban?

I would imagine that the Dobster will have gone to help his return to fitness and to add a bit of experience to the squad. Don't know if Ando was needing the matches to help with rehab but Janczyk will be considered as a fringe player.

Its probable that some of these guys will head up north and get a run out in either game.

I got the feeling on Saturday that the starting line up will be OC's first choice, barring injuries and any other new signings, come the Clyde game

Again, not too much to add but some fine goals, especially from Peaso and TripleEm. Some nice football, Rusty and McManus will pair up well at the back as both seem to want to find a pass rather than the lump up the park and Lawrie was very keen to get beyond the half way line - definitely a more natural wing back than anyone we have at the club.

As for Mani, if we are going to continue with the 3-5-2 formation then he wont be required as I don't think he has the build or style of play defensively, however, if we can find a position for him (in behind the front 2 perhaps) then there may be an opportunity for him to impress with us.

Did anyone else think there was quite poor turnout at the match? I'm sure we normally get considerably more than that when we got to Forfar for pre-season - given that it was a sunny Saturday and our first friendly, I'd have expected more Saints fans there than usual, but instead we seemed to get less.

Oh, and why are we still advertising megabus.com on our strips when they're not sponsoring us anymore? I know the team obviously haven't received their new strips yet (big shocker there), but 3 possible alternatives would be: 1) wear the training shirts we have that just have a Saints crest & Xara on them, with no sponsor; 2) cover up the megabus logo on the old strips with a bit of material; 3) write "are shit" underneath the megabus logo on each of the players' shirts.

Gary, I think Saints prefer to wait til the start of the season before wearing their new strips. They did the same prior to the launch of the megabus strips by wearing the Citylink strips during pre season. It would make sense for them to wear training tops but i guess they only have a limited supply of them so have to make do with old kit :roll: