A Statistical Comparison...

Saintkev

Sam, you still have time to delete some of those posts before the mafia get to you! :P

Nope. I stand by everything I said. :P

I don't think my comments were at all unfair - I praised the good points of the team, the management and the season so far. I criticised very little and I then posted my opinions. If they can't handle a different opinion to theirs, then a football forum is probably not the best place for them. :wink:

I would love Saints to prove me wrong, but we were playing Queens today and didn't set the heather alight. We have also failed to beat Dundee this season so far. A few more results like todays and I might begin to believe. Until then, however, my opinion remains unchanged. :twisted:

And I should also sahy the side directly above us have also failed to do that this season :roll:

Read my post again.

I was clearly saying that in reference to the fact that St.Mirren have failed to beat Dundee.

I'd love for Saints to get it together and win the league and would - with pleasure - eat my words if they did it.

The main point is that we are exactly at the half way stage and they are seven points ahead (with three goal difference less than us) but we have only played them once in the league and their squad strength hasn't been tested over the winter period. There is no doubt they have a decent top 13 players in their squad but the rest are less experienced.

If we win the second half of the league by the same difference points and equal goal difference then we win the league. If we beat them in all three games we are well on our way although that it is not a prerequisite.

We have come on leaps and bounds since last season. However, although I think St Mirren will drop points I don't think anyone else will put together the necessary run to win the league. We need to win on saturday (or at the worst get a draw) to have any realistic chance of staying in the race.

Other worrying stats are,

5 of our wins have been against the bottom 2.

16 of our goals against the bottom 2.

we have only scored more than once in a match against 1 other team, Hamilton.

we have yet to beat St Mirren, Scumdee, County and Stranrear.

The other 2 teams left in the league are Clyde, scored 1 in 2 matches, and Airdrie who gave us a trouncing and who we beat 1-0 in a very poor match.

NOT VERY INSPIRING READING WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO THESE STATS.

Other facts are; we've not really played consistently well and we all seem in agreement that even with the squad we have, we can and should do better, yet despite this, we are in second place, and with a good performance and/or some luck next Saturday, we could be just four points behind the leaders... they'll have lost two on the bounce, we'll build confidence... and we look set to try and build on what we have in the transfer window...

KEEP THE FAITH!!!

I love these kind of stats. The bottom two are there for a reason. Maybe if we'd won five games and scored sixteen goals against another couple of sides it would be them in the relegation zone.

You only need to score one more than the opposition to get three points and no one has ever said this league is anything but tight.

I wasn't at Dingwall so the only time I've seen us be outplayed is the second half at Airdrie and the second half against Hamilton in the Cup.

SO THEY ARE NOT A CONCERN THEN?

SO THEY ARE NOT A CONCERN THEN?

They are just stats, nothing more and nothing less. With stats you can read into them what you will but at the end of the day, it is what happens during the match that counts. As Radford says, you only need the extra goal to get the 3 points....

Not overly. It's not like we've been scraping wins, we've been winning by maybe one goal but deserving to win by more.

How many games this season have we been out-played in?

Well it worries me.

9 teams in the league and we have not beat 4 of the teams in 2 attempts.

I think on paper we have the best team in the league, but we cannot win the league on paper.

We have been outplayed more times than you think.

Airdrie (h) & (a)

Ross County (a)

St Mirren (h)

Hamilton (h)

and although we have murdered some teams this season we have still came away with a single point too many times.

Well it worries me.

9 teams in the league and we have not beat 4 of the teams in 2 attempts.

I think on paper we have the best team in the league, but we cannot win the league on paper.

That's exactly what I've been saying.

We probably do have the best squad on paper but like you say, we cannot win the league on paper.

Aye right Kevin :shock:

On the other hand the 7th Cavalry were led by a complete loony called Custer and we're led by Owney Coyle, not quite as loony. Also Custer decided to congregate his men in the middle thereby letting the Indians (the Sioux) to circle them in a stranglehold whereas we'll be in the West Stand. Like Kevin said it doesn't matter if we're outnumbered just look at when 100 British troops were situated at an army hospital unit in Bourke's Drift in the Natal region of South Africa and 4000 Zulus turned up We fought hard and got an away draw.

We have won five of our games by more than one goal difference whereas they have won four by more than one goal difference. If our 1-1 draws had been 1-0 games like many of theirs then we would be well ahead. Their main asset is their defence only at (home) while Saints is their attack . Their defence has let five more goals in than us away from home which sort of destroys their home defensive record which is two conceded. We have scored 13 goals away and they have scored 10 at home. We have scored 32 goals in the league this season (47 in total), they have scored 28 goals in the league (37 in total) and yet they have won more games and got to the Challenge Cup Final. We've had many injuries this season (which we've managed to smooth over) they've not had many. How is Peaso anyway?

The facts show that we're behind on points but as I mentioned in a previous post on the old forum it is a four lap race. I said then it would be great if we sat just behind them at the end of the second lap. When Sebastian Coe was running we knew he was better on paper but those who supported him didn't get negative if he wasn't in the lead during the middle of the race. It's the finish that counts. Remember 1990 when we were three wins and a draw behind Airdrie going into April (seven points then but ten now) and we won the league.

Aye, Aye, Aye, Aye

For we are the 'Crazy Young Saints'

Where er we go we fear no foe,

For we are the 'Crazy Young Saints'.

We can still lose and win the league because a team that scrapes wins by one goal as often as they do just needs a drop in confidence or form and they'll collapse.

• 3 weeks later...

St.Mirren should have beaten an out of form Saints at home but they didn't.

St.Mirren as league leaders should have beaten one of the relegation candidates QOS away but they didn't.

St.Mirren as league leaders should have beaten one of the relegation candidates Brechin ar home easily but they didn't and jusy got the winner with minutes to go.

St.Mirren are not playing well either (and their easy patch is over).

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again"

I think St.Mirren are going to falter, they've already started.... but can Saints revive and get back at them?

The cup game is a problem at this time form wise but it is a break from the league and we can use it to get a couple of players settled in as a priority hopefully IMO.

Happy New Year !!! :D

St.Mirren should have beaten an out of form Saints at home but they didn't.

St.Mirren as league leaders should have beaten one of the relegation candidates QOS away but they didn't.

St.Mirren as league leaders should have beaten one of the relegation candidates Brechin ar home easily but they didn't and jusy got the winner with minutes to go.

St.Mirren are not playing well either (and their easy patch is over).

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again"

I think St.Mirren are going to falter, they've already started.... but can Saints revive and get back at them?

The cup game is a problem at this time form wise but it is a break from the league and we can use it to get a couple of players settled in as a priority hopefully IMO.

Happy New Year !!! :D

Agree Ronaldo. far too many negative comments on this site these days God at this rate we'll have a poll should coyle stay or go shortly. :wink: