Songs

Chuck Norris

Always strikes me when we're forced to attend Dens Park, how they give the appearance of having history and tradition, just by playing a couple of their own songs before the game! Hearts are the same with their 'Glorious Hearts' stuff (the OF don't count in this respect, most of their repertoire is nicked from elsewhere).

I know that the Dundee songs (particularly 'Eh'm a Dee til I deh' etc) represent the last bastion of unrefined minkdom and are truly horrific at times - but at least they have some, which aren't simply new words on top of an old tune.

Any thoughts folks? Do we have any composers in the house? Is there a song which is genuinely about Perth that would fit the bill?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so sure - I always find those songs a bit cringeworthy. The one they play at Queen of the South, for example, sounds like it's a B-Side by "The Oneders" from That Thing You Do.

Unless you can get a song that's genuinely of a decent standard (and I'm yet to hear one being played by any club), I think it's the sort of thing that should be avoided. Particularly if you happen to be Celtic and your songs sound like they're being sung by the world's oldest man.

There is a song about Kinnoull Hill called "The Hill o' Kinnoull". The chorus goes "The bonnie hill o kinnoull where the birds sing so sweet in the morning, tae the people o Perth there's nae mountain on earth tae compare wie the hill o kinnoull." It's quite a good tune too. I'm sure we could spice up the lyrics a bit. I think the Alexander Brothers or Kenneth McKellar recorded it in the 60s. Maybe Kevin could look into it and stick it on sometime.

There are bound to be other songs about Perth.

Not so sure - I always find those songs a bit cringeworthy. The one they play at Queen of the South, for example, sounds like it's a B-Side by "The Oneders" from That Thing You Do.

Unless you can get a song that's genuinely of a decent standard (and I'm yet to hear one being played by any club), I think it's the sort of thing that should be avoided. Particularly if you happen to be Celtic and your songs sound like they're being sung by the world's oldest man.

I can never get that bloody "Hearts Hearts glorious Hearts" song out of my head after a visit to Tynecastle, especially the updated one with the Emerson, Lake and Palmer style beat.

I can never get that bloody "Hearts Hearts glorious Hearts" song out of my head after a visit to Tynecastle

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. I couldn't care less that Dundee still play the Wurzels - and never have done (let's face it, the tractor stuff is as old as the hills) but I've got that bloody "Dee til I deh" rubbish in my head now.

We should be having visitors to McD leaving with similar thoughts. Maybe a remix of "Bonnie Wee Jeannie McColl" in memory of Jean Rattray?

On a totally non related incident we were out for our Sunday Social catch up this morning (as you do!) and we went up with our pal to put flowers on her grans grave. I tripped over Jean Rattray's grave. It really is a poor effort, and i was gutted no to see some white lightning near it :( #

Can't think of any songs with Perth in it. :(

not sure that I like the idea of a song for the team but could we not adapt the 'you are my sunshine' song for Paul Sheerin (in the style of Solskjaer at Man U)?

Surely "We're Off to See The Wizard" would be more appropriate - because because because because becaaaaauuuuse, because of the wonderful things he does.

Guest Nairn Saint

To the Hearts, Hearts glorious Hearts tune.....

From Hamilton to Hamburg, Montrose to Monaco,

We'll follow the Perth Saints Where ever they go,

We are the pride of Perth's Fair City,

And you'll all know our name , it's St Johnstone FC.

S A I.....N T S

And if you don't like us - we coundn't care less,

Saints, Saints we are Perth Saints,

It's in St John's Toun we play,

The Saints are the pride of the whole of Tayside,

The finest team on the Tay.

S A I.....N T S

Fair enough it needs a bit of work but it stops me singing Jambo lyrics!

To the Hearts, Hearts glorious Hearts tune.....

From Hamilton to Hamburg, Montrose to Monaco,

We'll follow the Perth Saints Where ever they go,

We are the pride of Perth's Fair City,

And you'll all know our name , it's St Johnstone FC.

S A I.....N T S

And if you don't like us - we coundn't care less,

Saints, Saints we are Perth Saints,

It's in St John's Toun we play,

The Saints are the pride of the whole of Tayside,

The finest team on the Tay.

S A I.....N T S

Fair enough it needs a bit of work but it stops me singing Jambo lyrics!

*** Rice you aint! :wink:

Particularly if you happen to be Celtic and your songs sound like they're being sung by the world's oldest man.

Yeah that guy who's song is on the loud speakers at Celtic Park every week is funny. He sounds as if he's had a nose job done on him and his nasal passages are blocked hence his singing like he's got the shakes after deep sea diving. You can do it for yerself as follows but remember to hold your nose and extend the last vowel in each word ... here goes;

Foiiiiiiiiiirr eeeeeeeets ahhhh graaaoooooonnnnnnnd oillllld teammmmm to playyyy foirrr,

Foiiiiiiiiiirr eeeeeeeets ahhhh graaaoooooonnnnnnnd oillllld teammmmm to seeeeeee.

Oind if you knowwwwww their heeeeeeestory

etc.

I still believe that poor wee man was born with two noses.

Although I consider myself British (Scottish first) Me, Slf and Ricky seemed to upset the Rangers fans in the "208" one night when we and a few others sang:

"We don't fly no English flag do-dah do-dah,

We don't fly no English flag do-dah do-dah Dey!"

.... then we all started jumping up and down like the scene out of Blazing Saddles and ....

"do-dah do-dah Dey

do-dah do-dah Dey

We don't fly no English flag

do-dah do-dah Dey"

.... and then one guy got up to attack us and the other Rangers fans jumped on him in order to prevent a full clash. The old firm fans are officially the easiest fans in the world to wind up because of their mind sets. I'm sure we'll think of many things before the game.

• 2 weeks later...