TATA to Scotland's Steel Industry

HOODLUM65

Looks like its the end of the steel industry in Scotland, due to overproduction by the Chinese, importing cheap steel.

Despite Holyrood setting up a task force to attract a new buyer, alas I fear this is a talking shop only.

Salmond didn't help when he allowed steel to be imported from China for the new Forth bridge.

Cameron actions by toadying to the Chinese Prime Minister by firstly visiting China and now having the Chinese P.M. in London is a clear indication of how he views Scotland.

Turns out that even Royalty have been drawn in, by holding a state banquet in the Chinese P.M.'s honour.

Meanwhile, it's going to be a bleak Christmas for the Lanarkshire workers.

Looks like its the end of the steel industry in Scotland, due to overproduction by the Chinese, importing cheap steel.

Despite Holyrood setting up a task force to attract a new buyer, alas I fear this is a talking shop only.

Salmond didn't help when he allowed steel to be imported from China for the new Forth bridge.

Cameron actions by toadying to the Chinese Prime Minister by firstly visiting China and now having the Chinese P.M. in London is a clear indication of how he views Scotland.

Turns out that even Royalty have been drawn in, by holding a state banquet in the Chinese P.M.'s honour.

Meanwhile, it's going to be a bleak Christmas for the Lanarkshire workers.

Edit:- Prime Minister to read President.

Change Global Industry, its one small steel mill in one small town ??? Basically if the Steel plant is run at a loss, then why run it.

About 9000 jobs in total with decimation to the surrounding communities up and down the country, Osbourne goes to china and begs them to apply for the hs2 white elephant steel contract, they could bail out the fecking bankers, but no help for the steel industry,answer me this Athens how can the chinese make steel so cheap.

David Cameron to challenge the Chinese president, Xi Jinping, over job losses in the British steel industry...

Hameron: "What about this cheep steel then?"

Xi: "What about it?"

Hameron: "More quail's eggs, master?"

I'd say it has almost as much to do with the failed energy "market" in this country as cheep imports. Other western nations aren't in such trouble.

About 9000 jobs in total with decimation to the surrounding communities up and down the country, Osbourne goes to china and begs them to apply for the hs2 white elephant steel contract, they could bail out the fecking bankers, but no help for the steel industry,answer me this Athens how can the chinese make steel so cheap.

State aid and paying workers peanuts.

Change Global Industry, its one small steel mill in one small town ??? Basically if the Steel plant is run at a loss, then why run it.

we propped up the banks with billions when they were unsustainable

we pay countless billions into the NHS when it haemorrages money every day

trident costs billions and doesnt keep the country any safer

A few million to keep a whole community viable - and its seen as madness!

Chinese labour costs are a fifth of ours. When the plant is in a developed country like ours the overheads and fixed costs (plant, property, equipment) are also higher. Also the production costs are higher here due to steep energy prices, the cost of all the clean air regulations, and the fact that the raw materials come from further away. The strong pound has made it harder to sell our steel overseas. Plus China's plants run at higher capacity production than ours. It seems that with China not buying so much of its own steel, they've made a push into overseas sales to keep their capacity sold. Whether they're selling below cost or not I don't know. Finally the global steel industry has suffered from overcapacity for years.

I feel sorry for the steelworkers who'll lose their jobs like, but I can't really see how all these problems can be addressed to keep the industry going here. Government subsidies are illegal under EU rules, in case anyone thinks that's the answer.

Edited by babychunder