Luggy & MOTD

MySpazz

Anyone got a view on the match of the day stand off between Linekar, and MOTD staff and the BBC?

Is this a free-speech thing or an employee being told to follow company rules?

Personally I didn't see this as needing him to be "sacked" but he might have needed reminding that the £1.8m wage is conditional!

On 3/11/2023 at 11:08 AM, Cagey said:

All those refusing to present their programmes must be breaking their contracts so should be sacked. They are all overpaid anyway for reading q cards.

They're showing solidarity with a colleague. How can you possibly not see that they're doing the right thing by doing that?

20 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Yeah ,was for more years than care to remember. Whats that to do with guys breaking their contracts in support of a narcissist.

They withdrew their labour in support of a colleague who they felt had been unfairly treated. If you're a union member and you go on strike, it nearly always involves breaking the terms of your contract. In what way are the two situations not the same?

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

They withdrew their labour in support of a colleague who they felt had been unfairly treated. If you're a union member and you go on strike, it nearly always involves breaking the terms of your contract. In what way are the two situations not the same?

Correct me if I am wrong. Are you not supposed to ballot our comrades efore you can call a strike ?.

8 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Correct me if I am wrong. Are you not supposed to ballot our comrades efore you can call a strike ?.

It wasn't a union strike though; it was people individually making the decision to withdraw their labour in protest at the unfair treatment of a colleague. Yes they broke their contracts by doing so, but so do striking union members. 

It wasn't just one or two people that did this - it was the majority of his colleagues, and their employer has now apologised, which perhaps suggests that you're wrong and they actually all had a pretty good point?

On 3/11/2023 at 2:40 AM, MySpazz said:

Anyone got a view on the match of the day stand off between Linekar, and MOTD staff and the BBC?

Is this a free-speech thing or an employee being told to follow company rules?

Personally I didn't see this as needing him to be "sacked" but he might have needed reminding that the £1.8m wage is conditional!

The complication here is that Lineker isn't a BBC employee - he is free-lance, so they dont have the same right to insist on certain behaviours in his private life or other employment. 

I dont know why the Tories have made such a big deal out of this; they know full well that he doesn't have to follow the same BBC guidelines as BBC employees do (this has happened previously) so they should have just ignored his tweet in the same way as they ignore countless other critical tweets. Probably an ill-advised counter attack to the BBC Chair appointment controversy.

16 hours ago, Dooj said:

The complication here is that Lineker isn't a BBC employee - he is free-lance, so they dont have the same right to insist on certain behaviours in his private life or other employment. 

I dont know why the Tories have made such a big deal out of this; they know full well that he doesn't have to follow the same BBC guidelines as BBC employees do (this has happened previously) so they should have just ignored his tweet in the same way as they ignore countless other critical tweets. Probably an ill-advised counter attack to the BBC Chair appointment controversy.

One word, distraction. 

16 hours ago, Dooj said:

They did it because they're scared of the following he has and don't want someone with his voice and position flagging up the inhumanity of their policies. They probably also thought they could force the BBC to make an example of him, which would deter others from speaking out against them in future.

As a freelancer he still has to follow certain guidelines (I've worked with the BBC - not as staff - and had to attend a course on this, and Lineker etc will have had to do this at some point too). But the big issue is the guidelines are open to interpretation and inconsistently applied. Just look at all the other BBC or ex-BBC personalities in the same situation as Lineker who have never been sanctioned: Alan Sugar (tweets about politics all the time and openly backs the Tories), Deborah Meaden (also tweets about politics all the time), Ian Hislop (runs an entire magazine dedicated to political comment), Jeremy Clarkson and others like him who have had newspaper columns often covering politics. And that's before you even start on the BBC's upper management and their involvement with the Tories.

Whether people actually like Lineker and his views isn't the issue. He's clearly been treated differently to others and that makes it unfair, hence why he has now been apologised to. The BBC really should have had his back on this, just like I'm sure anyone else on here would hope for their employer (and colleagues) to be on their side if they were unjustly attacked. Well done to his MOTD colleagues who have effectively forced the BBC to back down. If Ian Wright etc hadn't taken this stand, they could easily have found themselves in the firing line next.

P.S. Good to see some actual discussion in the Chit Chat section for the first time in a while. :D

25 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

They did it because they're scared of the following he has and don't want someone with his voice and position flagging up the inhumanity of their policies. They probably also thought they could force the BBC to make an example of him, which would deter others from speaking out against them in future.

As a freelancer he still has to follow certain guidelines (I've worked with the BBC - not as staff - and had to attend a course on this, and Lineker etc will have had to do this at some point too). But the big issue is the guidelines are open to interpretation and inconsistently applied. Just look at all the other BBC or ex-BBC personalities in the same situation as Lineker who have never been sanctioned: Alan Sugar (tweets about politics all the time and openly backs the Tories), Deborah Meaden (also tweets about politics all the time), Ian Hislop (runs an entire magazine dedicated to political comment), Jeremy Clarkson and others like him who have had newspaper columns often covering politics. And that's before you even start on the BBC's upper management and their involvement with the Tories.

Whether people actually like Lineker and his views isn't the issue. He's clearly been treated differently to others and that makes it unfair, hence why he has now been apologised to. The BBC really should have had his back on this, just like I'm sure anyone else on here would hope for their employer (and colleagues) to be on their side if they were unjustly attacked. Well done to his MOTD colleagues who have effectively forced the BBC to back down. If Ian Wright etc hadn't taken this stand, they could easily have found themselves in the firing line next.

P.S. Good to see some actual discussion in the Chit Chat section for the first time in a while. :D

Well said Comrade.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:51 AM, blueheaven said:

They're showing solidarity with a colleague. How can you possibly not see that they're doing the right thing by doing that?

They are potentially employed by Linekers production company and afraid of not being invited to Qatar for th eWorld cup ....or on to his show on La Liga TV? 

Follow the money!

34 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

They are potentially employed by Linekers production company and afraid of not being invited to Qatar for th eWorld cup ....or on to his show on La Liga TV? 

Follow the money!

Confused by that. Bit late for an invite to Qatar for the World Cup is it not?

45 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Confused by that. Bit late for an invite to Qatar for the World Cup is it not?

Potentially employed by Linekers production company and afraid of not being invited to (INSERT FUTURE TOURNAMENT NAME) for th eWorld cup