Steven Anderson

taylorboy69

I would have to agree that Anderson is one of the worst players I have ever seen play for Saints. Owen's brother Tommy was pretty gash too

Compared to other players around at that time (John Irvine and Billy Blackie to name 2), Tommy Coyle was a great player!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the records I have, Martin played 3 times and Newbigging only played twice. I never saw either of them but they must have been pretty gash to be punted in that short period.

Newbigging was behind Alan McKillop and Dougie Barron in the pecking order (not an easy task to push them aside)... and he was just a youngster into the bargain. A very decent sweeper, who was a bit of a stalwart with Alloa for a decent time...

Steven Anderson is ok at tackling at times even then he doesnt tackle and and everything else he is ............... undescribably bad

Your argument is................ indescribably futile.

Most of the people slagging off Anderson on this thread are just the same. You want to have a go at someone without supporting your criticism with any substantiated reasons.

You fail to see the difference between a player's lack of form and a 'bad player'.

There have been several matches in the past where Anderson has been the best player on the field - fact.

There are reason's for his lack of form and they have been discussed on this thread but there are sill people who want to jump in with comments like "You r rite mate Anderson i shit and should be sold for five pounds".

I would suggest that getting on any young player's back, especially at matches, is seriously unconstructive to the team as a whole and anyone doing this can hold themselves partly responsible for the team's recent results.

There are worse players at McD than Ando, quite a few.

IMHO I think he is a decent player at centre half and at Airdrie where he got a load of stick he was probably our best defender, also thought he played not too bad against Gretna (but still got stick) considering James and Rusty bits were both poor.

I agree with some of what Dale says above but if we can't discuss players on the forum where can we? I have consistently stated that I don't believe Steven Anderson is a player. I have made similar statements about Ryan Stevenson. I have always tried to back these up with reasoning. I don't expect everyone to agree with me and I have previously acknowledged that Ryan in particular has improved this season. We are football fans for goodness sake, this is what we do. I am violently opposed to those who give players stick at McD and those who boo but surely we have the right to question a players ability to do a job for the team we support on a discussion forum.

I agree with some of what Dale says above but if we can't discuss players on the forum where can we? I have consistently stated that I don't believe Steven Anderson is a player. I have made similar statements about Ryan Stevenson. I have always tried to back these up with reasoning. I don't expect everyone to agree with me and I have previously acknowledged that Ryan in particular has improved this season. We are football fans for goodness sake, this is what we do. I am violently opposed to those who give players stick at McD and those who boo but surely we have the right to question a players ability to do a job for the team we support on a discussion forum.

I agree that this is the place to discuss these issues and you are commended for backing up your opinions with reasoning.

However, I've sat and monitored this thread over a few days and it's got to the point where it is ridiculous how many people want to jump in and call a player shit without supporting what they are saying. This is my grievance.

Fair enough Dale. Can I suggest that you pick up on those particular posts with a polite request for some reasoning as they arise.

FWIW my main gripes about SA are his positioning, his appaling distribution (he makes Darren Dods look like a good passer of the ball) and when he does lose out usually because of his poor positioning he tries to make up for it by giving away needless fouls. I just can't see how he is an asset in any way.

• 2 months later...
this boy was dire yet again on saturday :evil:

He wasn't great. I was wondering if he has contributed to Stevo's recent poor form? It'll be interesting to see if Stevo improves again once Mensing is back in the side.

I don't think I'd give Anderson a new contract, he just isn't good enough. We must be able to sign a better replacement on a Bosman, we'd probably even be able to pick up a better player shopping in the second and third divisions. Ando is heading in the same direction as Jordan Tait.

I'm 37.

Ando has had a few bad games but i dont feel he is the worst at the moment. Personaly i feel henry is the worst at the moment.

Ando is still young he can learn more and progress into a better player

No he can't, he's tripe.

I'm 37.

No he can't, he's tripe.

I'm 37.

No wonder with comments like that....

I would say more to the point is how would anderson and mensing's performances go without Stevo playing?

He's young and not a bad player - he's not really had a chance this season due to the form of James/Mensing/Ruti and you need time to settle into the team - and when he starts to settle he's ousted again! :roll:

Yeah he's had a few gash performances but he isn't as bad as some think.....

I think give him till the end of the season - also, it will depend who's in Oweny's plans with regard to Fotheringham etc.

Not only is Ando playing out of position, but he is also playing behind someone (Stevenson) who is also playing out of position. Hence the comical defending etc.

Both of hese younsters are decent players and their futures in the game are surely being jepordised by Owen plugging gaps in the squad, and the kamakazzi nature of Mensing that means he will spend a fair number of games suspended.

I'm sure Ando is a nice guy, but he's pish at football. Punt him at the same time as Stevenson.

I am not judging yet - i think Ando is showing enough promise and the fact of whether he will get a deal or not will be down to Owen's plans with Fotheringham/Dyer etc and if he is going to settle on 3-5-2 or try and revert to 4-4-2...also, as to who looks to becoming available towards the end of season. He'd be a good squad player and i'm sure the more experience he gains, and the more he works with better players then he will start to become more aware - i suppose the same could be said for Stevenson but he's had 4? Seasons to show us what he can do, and he very rarely shows us flashes what he can do - and quite frankly we carry him most weeks.

I am not judging yet - i think Ando is showing enough promise and the fact of whether he will get a deal or not will be down to Owen's plans with Fotheringham/Dyer etc

I honestly don't think he'll be at McDiarmid next season.

He looked good at times in a pretty foul central defence towards the end of last season, alongside the players JC had at the time. Put him in with the defenders OC has signed this year and he's looked totally out of his depth. Whether that's down to the tactics he's been given, the positioning of others or maybe even nerves, is up for debate - but he just doesn't look like he fits in. Every defender makes basic errors now and again, but for all these reasons he's made more than most.

It's a shame because he did show a lot of promise at times last year, but football is harsh and he might not get the chance.