Jason Scotland

Saint Paul

I know I may upset a few people with this opinion, but I am pissed of with Jason Scotland.

To me, he does not look a team player. On saturday he always wanted to take men on when a simple pass would have either opened things up or at least kept possession, especially when the midfield is breaking forward to join in play only to have to sprint back as Scotland has lost possession.

Scotland is a great talent, but is very frustrating. Yes, he has scored his fair share of goals, but again on saturday, how many times did he try to hit the ball from outside the box when it was crowded with people to block the shot, or someone was running on the outside in a better position to cross ?

Someone said in the injury thread that Milne and Dobbie at the start of the season were scoring. I believe that this is due to the fact that they linked up with each other but I do not believe that Scotland is doing the same for Milne. It can not be a coincidence that since has started to play with Milne, Milne has stopped scoring.

For me, Scotland was at his best playing behind Milne and Dobbie. He can run at people from there as he seems to want to do, but he has to learn to pass more and bring other people into the game. He is not the only person on the pitch ! :x

Sorry for the rant, it has been bugging me for a few games now.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I may upset a few people with this opinion, but I am pissed of with Jason Scotland.

To me, he does not look a team player. On saturday he always wanted to take men on when a simple pass would have either opened things up or at least kept possession, especially when the midfield is breaking forward to join in play only to have to sprint back as Scotland has lost possession.

Scotland is a great talent, but is very frustrating. Yes, he has scored his fair share of goals, but again on saturday, how many times did he try to hit the ball from outside the box when it was crowded with people to block the shot, or someone was running on the outside in a better position to cross ?

Someone said in the injury thread that Milne and Dobbie at the start of the season were scoring. I believe that this is due to the fact that they linked up with each other but I do not believe that Scotland is doing the same for Milne. It can not be a coincidence that since has started to play with Milne, Milne has stopped scoring.

For me, Scotland was at his best playing behind Milne and Dobbie. He can run at people from there as he seems to want to do, but he has to learn to pass more and bring other people into the game. He is not the only person on the pitch ! :x

Sorry for the rant, it has been bugging me for a few games now.

I agree with the jist of the post pretty much Paul. For me, his best game was when he played behind Milne and Peaso in the 1-1 down at Stranraer. He dragged the marker out wide and created space for Sheerin and Stevenson to get inside and work with the front 2, creating chance after chance that neither Milne or Peaso stuck away.

I would like to see Scotland dropped for Jackson on Saturday as I think Milne and Jackson would be a good partnership, although with Milne's injury I can see Jacko coming in and partnering Scotland.

He does get on my nerves to, mainly with his I canny be arsed chasing that ball.. etc

My old man went to his first game in 2 years on Monday, and apart from saying never again, he said that if he was Jason Scotland he wouldnt be passig either cause all the other players are hopeless!!

He also said if we never had Jason Scotland we could have found ourselves in a worse postition than Dundee.

He does get on my nerves to, mainly with his I canny be arsed chasing that ball.. etc

My old man went to his first game in 2 years on Monday, and apart from saying never again, he said that if he was Jason Scotland he wouldnt be passig either cause all the other players are hopeless!!

Your dad sounds like most of the Saints support who go every week :lol:

Yeah, the problem is that Scotland seems to have this attitude already !!

He is also extremely reluctant to chase back after he has lost the ball. I can't remember the exact incident on Saturday, but it was in the first half, where he was disposessed (pretty easily I may add) and he could easily have chased the defender to win the ball back but literrally shrugged his shoulders and trotted back as if he didn't have a care in the world.

I find it quite baffling that someone like OC, who always had a tremendous work ethic throughout his career can tolerate such an attitude.

He is also extremely reluctant to chase back after he has lost the ball. I can't remember the exact incident on Saturday, but it was in the first half, where he was disposessed (pretty easily I may add) and he could easily have chased the defender to win the ball back but literrally shrugged his shoulders and trotted back as if he didn't have a care in the world.

I find it quite baffling that someone like OC, who always had a tremendous work ethic throughout his career can tolerate such an attitude.

OC feels that Jason 'lights up the park' whe he is on the pitch and his style also fits in with the one that says strikers don't drop back to cover as there is nobody there for a breakaway..... (none of these are my words or thoughts btw!)

There is no doubt in my mind that if it wasn't for Scotland the last couple of months we would be screwed. Not just for his goals but because he is our only dangerous option in attack. It's a very simplistic way of looking at things but I'm not surprised he doesn't pass more often as nobody else in the team offers any creativity.

Also, against Dundee, yeah he dribbled the ball a lot and was tackled a few times, but on most of these occassions dribbling was his only option as nobody wa looking for a pass. I also lost count of the amount of times he played a pass through into a dangerous position and the other players weren't anticipating it (Henry and Savo the main culprits). There is no excuse for this IMO, especially from Savo - strikers are supposed to be predaratory and hungry for goals, you aint gonna get goals if you don't get into dangerous positions and look for a pass.

I would like to see Scotland dropped for Jackson on Saturday as I think Milne and Jackson would be a good partnership, although with Milne's injury I can see Jacko coming in and partnering Scotland.

Dropping Scotland would be madness! He is the best player in the division and the only guy in the team recently who has looked remotely dangerous for us. We have two strikers playing - one who causes defences problems, is actually able to dribble past opponents, makes an impact on the game and scores goals, and one who does none of those things - and you want to drop the first one!! :shock::? Without Scotland we'd be even further down the table, in my opinion.

I agree that he is greedy, but to be honest I don't care, because when he does pass it his team-mates invariably mess it up anyway. He played a perfect through ball to Milne on Monday, and the chance ended up disappearing because Milne let it run out wide instead of shooting. I'd also point out his perfect cut-back for Milne against St Mirren, when Milne still somehow didn't score. Was it not also Scotland who cut it back for Stevenson in the opening minutes at Airdrie? (I might be wrong on that last one). At the moment I'd rather have Scotland on the pitch holding onto the ball and shooting, because at least that way there's a chance of us scoring goals. That viewpoint might change if some of his team mates were to start taking their chances and looking a bit more dangerous - if Peaso (who I think we're really missing at the moment) came back, for example, or if Milne's form improved, or if Jackson/Doris were given a chance to start but Scotland was ignoring them. But until the other attacking players start doing their jobs a bit better, I say Scotland should carry on doing what he's doing.

Dropping Scotland would be madness! He is the best player in the division and the only guy in the team recently who has looked remotely dangerous for us. We have two strikers playing - one who causes defences problems, is actually able to dribble past opponents, makes an impact on the game and scores goals, and one who does none of those things - and you want to drop the first one!! :shock::? Without Scotland we'd be even further down the table, in my opinion.

I agree that he is greedy, but to be honest I don't care, because when he does pass it his team-mates invariably mess it up anyway. He played a perfect through ball to Milne on Monday, and the chance ended up disappearing because Milne let it run out wide instead of shooting. I'd also point out his perfect cut-back for Milne against St Mirren, when Milne still somehow didn't score. Was it not also Scotland who cut it back for Stevenson in the opening minutes at Airdrie? (I might be wrong on that last one). At the moment I'd rather have Scotland on the pitch holding onto the ball and shooting, because at least that way there's a chance of us scoring goals. That viewpoint might change if some of his team mates were to start taking their chances and looking a bit more dangerous - if Peaso (who I think we're really missing at the moment) came back, for example, or if Milne's form improved, or if Jackson/Doris were given a chance to start but Scotland was ignoring them. But until the other attacking players start doing their jobs a bit better, I say Scotland should carry on doing what he's doing.

Exactly!!!!!

Without Scotland we would be relegation fodder - no question. I wouldn't pass to Milne on his current form either.

at the moment Jason and Stanic are the only class players in the side. Jason does what he is good at - delivering the killer pass , shooting, and running at defences. At the moment he is not doing much passing 'cos there is nobody to pass to. I wouldn't want to see him chasing back.

What we need are a couple of players in the team who can give him a through ball - or run into space so he can pass to them.

The only advantage in dropping Scotland would be that season tickets might be cheaper in the second division.

i think if we got promoted sometime with jason scotland his quality would come through more. in this division everyone knows about him and he is getting it really hard from the opposition teams.

the first game i saw him in was the partick cup match where i thought he was not very good becuase his attitude stunk.

but at the ross county game he did spark up the front line.

i would say he is better when in behind the strikers cause he can make opportunities and men will go to him as they know what he can do.

from what i have seen there doesnt seem to be many players who have passion for playing for saints but thats maybe cause i remember the glory season too much where everyone chipped in.

i have only seen three games this season and it seems like the team have not settled with each other yet but there seems to be some positives. the defence is more worry from what i have seen of them!

Chopper , you have said in a previous post that you would like anderson in at centre half for james( ain't gonna happen as long as james's fit ) and now you want coyle to drop our most threatening player (cos like it or not thats what he is )! for jackson !! who i'm not doubting has potential !

Barring injuries/suspensions these two changes are very unlikely !! an option would be to get someone in who's on a par with scotland then we might actually get somewhere!!! i'm not disputing he can be a frustrating player, BUT he's our best /only threat just now i'm afraid !!

Scotland is not a bad player he just needs the proper passes to run on to. Half the time on Monday he got the ball with his back to goal and couldn't see anyone to pass to. But when Stevenson was taken off against County and Scotland got to play down the right he looked far happier and got some good crosses in. One of the only players this season to make it to the by-line and do something with it!

Chopper , you have said in a previous post that you would like anderson in at centre half for james( ain't gonna happen as long as james's fit ) and now you want coyle to drop our most threatening player (cos like it or not thats what he is )! for jackson !! who i'm not doubting has potential !

Barring injuries/suspensions these two changes are very unlikely !! an option would be to get someone in who's on a par with scotland then we might actually get somewhere!!! i'm not disputing he can be a frustrating player, BUT he's our best /only threat just now i'm afraid !!

Again, I pointed out these changes would be for Saturday - a cup tie with nothing particular at stake where we can try these things. Scotland's workrate is worse than Dobbie's was, yet he gets all the plaudits for being "the most threatening player". For me, he is more threatening to his own team as his lack of awareness of free players around him can put us in trouble, especially against pacy sides. He is too concerned about ensuring he is on the plane to Germany in the summer than working towards getting us promoted IMO. Jackson gives us someone who is willing to battle for the cause (like Milne) and would pose a bigger threat, especially to immobile defences (such as Dundee's on Monday, Airdrie's on Saturday and St. Mirren's at Love Street a few weeks back).

As for Ando in at centre-back - James is almost certain to be injured and/or suspended for periods between now and the summer and we need to ensure we have cover ready and able to play when this happens. Due to the lack of reserve games, the cup and meaningless league matches are the only feasible times to try these things out.

Again I expected very few people, if anyone, to agree with me as it "goes against the grain" with many.

Again, I pointed out these changes would be for Saturday - a cup tie with nothing particular at stake where we can try these things. Scotland's workrate is worse than Dobbie's was, yet he gets all the plaudits for being "the most threatening player". For me, he is more threatening to his own team as his lack of awareness of free players around him can put us in trouble, especially against pacy sides. He is too concerned about ensuring he is on the plane to Germany in the summer than working towards getting us promoted IMO. Jackson gives us someone who is willing to battle for the cause (like Milne) and would pose a bigger threat, especially to immobile defences (such as Dundee's on Monday, Airdrie's on Saturday and St. Mirren's at Love Street a few weeks back).

As for Ando in at centre-back - James is almost certain to be injured and/or suspended for periods between now and the summer and we need to ensure we have cover ready and able to play when this happens. Due to the lack of reserve games, the cup and meaningless league matches are the only feasible times to try these things out.

Again I expected very few people, if anyone, to agree with me as it "goes against the grain" with many.

I agree with you 100% Chopper, but we seem to be in the minority. :roll:

For starters Saturday is far from a meaningless game. It is important to get through the Cup ties.

Jason is one of the best palyers that have played for Saints in years several times he put a ball through on Monday and no one read it, taht's a sign of a player that he is able to read the game more than others and is more a criticism of Milne and the others in the team than anything else. It is unfair to say that he is not interested in the team and more interested in the World Cup.

I find it staggering that Jason Scotland is given so much criticism. It really is unbelievable. We have a midfield full of passengers like Sheerin, Janczyk and Henry yet Scotland is singled out for criticism? It's bonkers!

Jason Scotland is a flair player. He offers a bit of spark to the side, something that none of our other players have and very few players in this division have. We look at our most dangerous when he gets the ball and runs at defences and he's pretty good at holding the ball up too. It seems to me that he can be made to look greedy by the terrible midfield we have. If we had midfielders who could get forward quicker and give him more support, I'm sure you would see Scotland pass to them. Sadly, our midfield is crap and they rarely make good runs for Jason to pick out.

I do not expect Scotland to run around like a headless chicken chasing players down. It's not in his game and I respect that because of his ability with the ball at his feet. He contributes so much to the side when he has the ball that it doesn't matter if he doesn't put his foot into every challenge. We have other players in other positions whose job it is to win the ball. We can afford to have one Jason Scotland in the team to provide a spark but we obviously couldn't have eleven Jason Scotland's in the side. That's where the rest of the team come in. If they did their jobs properly we wouldn't have a problem. If we had a midfield that gave Scotland decent service and made themselves available in decent positions for a pass we wouldn't even be talking about this. That is what is wrong with our team at the moment, the lack of a decent midfield.

The problem with our team is clearly not Jason Scotland. He is currently our best player. Calls for him to be dropped are ludicrous! What other options do we have? Jackson and Doris? Don't be daft. These players may be good in time but they should be used off the bench to get experience. They can hardly claim a starting spot solely on the basis that they'll run around a lot and put the foot in. I laugh at the people who suggest they should be starting first team matches.

Jason Scotland is great - FACT. The only player we have that other teams are scared of.

I'm 37.

For starters Saturday is far from a meaningless game. It is important to get through the Cup ties.

Jason is one of the best palyers that have played for Saints in years several times he put a ball through on Monday and no one read it, taht's a sign of a player that he is able to read the game more than others and is more a criticism of Milne and teh others in the team than anything else. It is unfair to say that he is not interested in the team and more interested in the World Cup.

Absolutely agree. I can't believe the suggestion here that the cup tie is meaningless - it isn't the Challenge Cup, it's the Scottish Cup and I want to see Saints get as far as possible in it. I'm sure the club would want us to get through from a financial point of view also.

It is very unfair indeed to say that Scotland is more interested in the World Cup than Saints - I can't see any evidence to suggest that this would be true.

I'm 37.

Hey chopper , i've never disagreed with you before,(not that i can remember), i just think that the two changes you mentioned are more likely to hinder the team than enhance it....and in my opinion saturdays game is far from meaningless ...IF ,and a big IF we beat gretna , and we draw any of the old firm away ( i know it's all if ,if,if) but that pay day might just be the difference in us being able to compete at the top end of this league next year /season!!!

scotland really gets on my tits at times. great talent no doubt, but we're trying to build a team here and he aint no team player. thinks hes too good for div1. dont know how the permit thing works like, but if we got a decent bid for him this month, would u want him to go? i'd sell him in a minute. time to concentrate on boys who want to be and will be here next year.

scotland really gets on my tits at times. great talent no doubt, but we're trying to build a team here and he aint no team player. thinks hes too good for div1. dont know how the permit thing works like, but if we got a decent bid for him this month, would u want him to go? i'd sell him in a minute. time to concentrate on boys who want to be and will be here next year.

Incredible!! Let's get rid of our best player! :evil::twisted:

It is very unfair indeed to say that Scotland is more interested in the World Cup than Saints - I can't see any evidence to suggest that this would be true.

Even if Scotland IS more interested in the World Cup than Saints, does it really matter? As long as there's something motivating him to play at his best, then I don't care what it is. If the reason he wants to do well for us is so that he can play in the World Cup (which is, after all, a much bigger stage than the piddly little SPL), then that's fine by me - as long as it does involve him wanting to do his best.

Chopper commented on Savo and Jackson being "willing to battle for the cause" - but that doesn't make them good footballers, or mean that they are on form. Milne's recent form proves that being a hard-working battler doesn't go hand in hand with being a threat. Frankly, the guy has been a complete waste of a jersey for about a month now, and I'm yet to see anyone come up with a plausible explanation for why he shouldn't be dropped. As Dev says, you don't need eleven battlers on the pitch. Scotland is a flair player, something different - the sort of different we've been crying out for for years, and then once he gets here people slag him off for not being just another one of the blood-and-snotters-but-bugger-all-skill Scottish types! What is this obsession Scottish football fans have with every player needing to run tackling all the time? Personally I want a team with a bit of variety - sure, some players who will tackle, but also some who will create.

I do want to see one of Jackson or Doris given a chance to start on Saturday, but it has to be in place of Milne, not Scotland. Scotland's our best player!! :shock:

Unbelievable!!! :shock::shock:

Thinks he's too good for Division 1? He is too good for Division 1!

Why do you want to sell him? He'd be a huge loss and we would undoubtedly gain fewer points without him.

How do you know he won't be here next year? He has a two year contract and thus it is up to us what he does next year.

Perhaps if he was given more support from the fans he'd work a bit harder. I felt sorry for him at Airdrie - being abused by both sets of fans and most of the Airdrie team while carrying an injury. Seemed pretty harsh to me. I wish people would get off his back!

I'm 37.

Incredible!! Let's get rid of our best player! :evil::twisted:

why not? are we going up this year? not likely.

do u think he'll be here next year? not sure, but i cant see it.

just think we should be building for next year and if scotland aint gonna be part of it, why have him here