Owen Coyle and Motherwell

soulfulsaint

The spending by Boyle wasn't spent to avoid relegation, we were challenging for Europe at the time.

And we finished 5th, 3rd and 5th in the SPL in the latter part of the last century but were honest enough to admit defeat when we couldn't hold onto players, unlike your club who cheated people and companies out of thousands of pounds.

But at least you can boast about being an established SPL club.

Since Geoff Brown took over at Saints in 1986, we have been debt free, and still achieved a reasonable amount for a club our size. Motherwell are a bigger club than St Johnstone but not one Motherwell fan seems prepared to contemplate that Coyle might want to finish the job he's started here and show some loyalty to the club that first gave him his chance. I doubt the man's ambition ends at managing Motherwell, so it comes down to which club he sees as a better stepping stone, not which he sees as a bigger club. Winning games in the First Division may well raise his profile higher than finishing in the bottom six of the SPL. He's asked his players to be loyal and stay with Saints, and I expect him to do the same.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should others suffer due to the mismanagement of one business?

Probably not mismanagement...probably all done intentional by using the laws to their advantage.

No matter how unfair it all is, it all perfectly legal unfortunately. Remember, its nothing personal, its only business, as they would say!

Immoral b@$t@rd$.

Probably not mismanagement...probably all done intentional by using the laws to their advantage.

No matter how unfair it all is, it all perfectly legal unfortunately. Remember, its nothing personal, its only business, as they would say!

Immoral b@$t@rd$.

Exactly, thus the reason I feel the SPL/SFA should have rules in place to punish teams that cheat in this manner. You go into admin and you are automatically relegated to the third division. That would make clubs think very hard before they splash cash they don't have!

It's far too easy in the UK for people to shrug off their debts and too many clubs have followed suit!

I agree that teams should suffer a sanction(s) should they go into admin, see the FA 10 point deduction as an example though there is a way round this as Leeds have shown. The system employed in France is too harsh, its happened to Toulouse when Balde and Libbra moved to Scotland and you are put into the bottom rung of the French League. Italy don't allow for a administrative period and the clubs simply go bankrupt see Fiorentina and Napoli, almost my team Lazio and Parma to boot and are reinstated with different name ie Napoli Calcio and Fiorentina Viola. Even in Scotland our most hated of rivals, he scum from up the road Airdrie took Clydebank's league place and were re-established as Airdrie United in the 2nd division. I think a 10/15 point deduction and possible transfer embargo would be the way forward

We actually sacked 9 players and released 11 who's contracts expired. No one at Motherwell is proud of what happened when we were forced to go into admin, it was one of the hardest times to be a Well fan, not knowing if you were going to have a team to watch the following season. Bearing in mind we are not the only team to do this, the other teams to follow this route have been a lot more ruthless than we ever were. The players whose contracts were terminated have been paid as creditors or will be by virtue of CVA's. John Spencer left Motherwell owing us over 400k, he is about to be hauled before the courts so the monies can be recovered. The spending by Boyle wasn't spent to avoid relegation, we were challenging for Europe at the time. The collapse of the Sky TV deal and the ripple effec of lost revenues through sponsors has not only damaged Motherwell FC it has ****ed over all of Scottish Football.

Motherwell's mistake was to chase the vacuous dream of being the 'third force' in Scottish football. They paid way too much for players like Spencer, Brannan and Don Goodman. John Boyle thought he could reverse history and lure Rangers and Celtic fans in Lanarkshire to support a local team. Some hope. But to be fair to him he has taken a significant loss of £11m and has tried where possible to honour debts. That said, I'm glad Saints live within their means. Not everyone appreciates a tight-ship but better to be frugal than f***ed.

Owen Coyle is too astute to go to Motherwell now it would be a terrible career move.

PS. Does anyone have a copy of 'Dundee FC - A Guide to Economics' it's hard to get on Amazon?

The fact the Motherwell fans are on their site, calling us a small team is extraordinary!

This is a team who has a poor(except when its a big game), a team who should have been relagated, and a team who was in adminstration not that long ago and they have the cheek to call us a small team, if only the Scottish structure wasnt such a joke, they would find themself in deep water!

The top of the first divison could walk into the bottom 6 of the SPL anyday as we have proven on numerous occasions this season, I hope we bypass them next season, because I think they must be favourites to go down!

Not at all, you have proven a good cup team in the way that Ayr were a few years back or even Tranmere, lower league teams have proven that cup football can favour them as in one off games as the old saying goes, any one can win. The fact is you were not good enough to be promoted as Gretna came up and in reality for what ever happened at that club during the run in, they should've wrapped up the league long before the last day. As for this question of who's the bigger club, the answer is Motherwell. I'm sorry if the blue tinted specs have somewhat blurred your view of reason but there are no elements that St Johnstone have as club that dimish what Motherwell have as a club, be it money, past or present success, Fan Base, Ground size, league status

Why are these tinks from Motherwell coming on this site,is it because your jealous of us,or maybe your worried about ur shirt sponsor Bukta,thats like the Fruit of the loom of Football,even Dundee have Bukta,that explains it all.

You will maybe fill Fir Park next season for your relegation decider with ur lodgers Gretna,or sorry Tam cowan will fill 4 seats!!

Owen Coyle has gone on a Family Holiday to USA,and has told Geoff Brown that he has not finished his job yet at Saints,so go away and cry in your boarded up smelly houses

Not at all, you have proven a good cup team in the way that Ayr were a few years back or even Tranmere, lower league teams have proven that cup football can favour them as in one off games as the old saying goes, any one can win.

How much over the odds did you pay for those ex-Tranmere players? Enough to keep you solvent or enough to tip you into administration?

As for this question of who's the bigger club, the answer is Motherwell. I'm sorry if the blue tinted specs have somewhat blurred your view of reason but there are no elements that St Johnstone have as club that dimish what Motherwell have as a club, be it money, past or present success, Fan Base, Ground size, league status

...almost true but not entirely... I have seen your club's bank balance and rest-assured my mum has more in her pension book....Ground size your right for now, but will that be true when you go to the new site at Ravenscraig and Tommy Coakley sells Fir Park? I believe he's sniffing around again. Three-bed room apartments what do they go for now up Airbles Road?

Owen Coyle is still not going to Motherwell and that fact is irriducible.

Why are these tinks from Motherwell so go away and cry in your boarded up smelly houses

Seeing as how you come from Dundee, the biggest hellhole, smack infested, stinking dump that Scotland has to offer, after I've stopped laughing, I'll treat that comment with the contempt it deserves. Away and chase the dragon like you folks usually get up to, infact go and rob a granny for her pension book aswell ya soapdodging junkie c**t

Not at all, you have proven a good cup team in the way that Ayr were a few years back or even Tranmere, lower league teams have proven that cup football can favour them as in one off games as the old saying goes, any one can win. The fact is you were not good enough to be promoted as Gretna came up and in reality for what ever happened at that club during the run in, they should've wrapped up the league long before the last day. As for this question of who's the bigger club, the answer is Motherwell. I'm sorry if the blue tinted specs have somewhat blurred your view of reason but there are no elements that St Johnstone have as club that dimish what Motherwell have as a club, be it money, past or present success, Fan Base, Ground size, league status

Why dosent some of that fan base turn out more often then? These fans only turn out when you reach a semi final every 4 or 5 years!

I would agree Motherwell are probebly a 'bigger' club but would not go around bragging as what you 'achieved' last season was nothing!

. Motherwell are a bigger club than St Johnstone but not one Motherwell fan seems prepared to contemplate that Coyle might want to finish the job he's started here and show some loyalty to the club that first gave him his chance. I doubt the man's ambition ends at managing Motherwell, so it comes down to which club he sees as a better stepping stone, not which he sees as a bigger club. Winning games in the First Division may well raise his profile higher than finishing in the bottom six of the SPL. He's asked his players to be loyal and stay with Saints, and I expect him to do the same.

To be perfectly frank with you, I find all this speculation as boring as hell. I also think that our supporters coming on here and slagging you off is pretty childish as are most of the replies from your support. Slinging mud isn't going to decide whether he will join us or stay with you, either way I don't mind. my preference for a manager lies further afield.

I am just as happy for Owen Coyle to be our top scorer in the masters again.........:D

"Geoff went on to say that there are a number of high profile figures waiting to get back into the game who Motherwell could set their sights on as opposed to someone already in a managerial position with another club."

This statement from Geoff Brown would set alarm bells ringing if I supported St Johnstone, sounds like straw clutching of the highest order

To be perfectly frank with you, I find all this speculation as boring as hell. I also think that our supporters coming on here and slagging you off is pretty childish as are most of the replies from your support. Slinging mud isn't going to decide whether he will join us or stay with you, either way I don't mind. my preference for a manager lies further afield.

I am just as happy for Owen Coyle to be our top scorer in the masters again.........:D

We're too nervous to be bored! OC has finally got us believing in our side again and it's horrible to think of having to start all over again if he left. Luc Nijholt would be a much better option for you!

We have a friendly on the day of the Masters so is it confirmed he's playing again?

How the hell did St Mirren wangle an invite?

To be perfectly frank with you, I find all this speculation as boring as hell. I also think that our supporters coming on here and slagging you off is pretty childish as are most of the replies from your support. Slinging mud isn't going to decide whether he will join us or stay with you

spot on motherwell dude my feelings as well