Fire at Bradford City, 1985

Dev

Some footage of the fire at Valley Parade in 1985 which took 56 lives. It is incredible how quickly the fire took hold. It's pretty horrific viewing but well worth a look, it really gets you thinking. You need to hear the commentary as well for the full effect.

EDIT: This is not easy viewing and can be quite upsetting. It brought a tear to my eye watching it. However, I think it is an important part of football history and while some people may find it upsetting, people will also find it informative.

http://www.flurl.com/uploaded/Bradford_Fire_49330.html

I'm 37.

Horrific, i dunno the suitability of this TBH, basically watching folk dying :?

Could'nt bring myself to watch it, don;t know about anyone else.

Amazingly, this coverage was shown live on Grandstand at the time. It isn't nice viewing but I think it is important to watch. I didn't appreciate the scale of the disaster until I watched that footage.

I'm 37.

I know it was Grandstand at the time cos i watched it, as will alot of other people, although not to be forgotten i would much rather not be remembered of it, think lessons were learned from Bradford and Hillsborough. Which maybe make our stadia in the UK a little less atmospheric but alot safer than they were 15-20 years ago.

The gates at the turnstyles were locked to stop the hooligans getting in or so we were told at Gullane. The majority of the folk that died were killed were trying to get out at those gates. They were padlocked. If you think the tv footage is bad viewing you should see the fire investigation photos. Its awful.

Incase you are wondering, Gullane is the fire service training school.

Yeah that just shows you the mentality of them.

No one from the ground phoned the fire brigade. Someone who was watching the tv phoned them 15 minutes after the fire started. Unbelievable!!

That cannot be true, the ambulances were there within 5 minutes of the fire starting, the fire brigade would have not been far behind.

Trust me wee john no one from the ground or other emergency services phoned the fire brigade. True there were ambulances there and so were the police but that was because they were already at the match. There is never a fire brigade presence at football matches, everyone thought that each other was phoning the fire brigade. Remember there were no mobile phones in those days so that ruled out anyone inside the ground phoning.

When we were training at Gullane we were shown the video as part of a human behaviour lecture to highlight how stupid people can be in the event of a fire.

The night the Jeanfield Swifts club burnt down we were told by someone in Stanley Cresent that it had been burning for 15 minutes before we arrived although that was never confirmed. Everyone thinks that someone else will be phoning the fire brigade when in fact no one actually is.

Trust me wee john no one from the ground or other emergency services phoned the fire brigade. True there were ambulances there and so were the police but that was because they were already at the match. There is never a fire brigade presence at football matches, everyone thought that each other was phoning the fire brigade. Remember there were no mobile phones in those days so that ruled out anyone inside the ground phoning.

When we were training at Gullane we were shown the video as part of a human behaviour lecture to highlight how stupid people can be in the event of a fire.

The night the Jeanfield Swifts club burnt down we were told by someone in Stanley Cresent that it had been burning for 15 minutes before we arrived although that was never confirmed. Everyone thinks that someone else will be phoning the fire brigade when in fact no one actually is.

I suppose it is a natural thing to assume that someone else will have phoned.

Saying that, I don't suppose they could have done much even if they arrived within 5 minutes?

Some footage of the fire at Valley Parade in 1985 which took 56 lives. It is incredible how quickly the fire took hold. It's pretty horrific viewing but well worth a look, it really gets you thinking. You need to hear the commentary as well for the full effect.

EDIT: This is not easy viewing and can be quite upsetting. It brought a tear to my eye watching it. However, I think it is an important part of football history and while some people may find it upsetting, people will also find it informative.

http://www.flurl.com/uploaded/Bradford_Fire_49330.html

I'm 37.

link is now dead