Stop Moaning from the off

Dennistoun Saint

I notice McLean (and, to a lesser extent, Samuel) has been coming in for a fair bit of stick on other threads. I wasn't at Dingwall but apparently some fans made their displeasure clear from the off too.

Can we stop getting on players' backs straight from kick-off and actually give them some support? If people aren't pulling their weight or having an awful season then I can understand the complaints, but do you think we could all encourage those around us at the game on Saturday to actually give the lads a chance and support them from the off? I know it's a minority who do it but it's a really annoying minority!

Don't know if this is deserving of a thread of its own but it's something that really pisses me off about some of our fans and think it should be addressed.

It's each individuals right to moan, and if I see a player being a lazy **** and not putting a shift in like the rest, then I'll tell him what I think.

No keeper can ever do enough at Saints as he'll always be compared to Alan Main, so they must be under extreme pressure to perform to an acceptable standard. McGregor was the only keeper who was upto Saints fans standard, and look at him now.

It's each individuals right to moan, and if I see a player being a lazy **** and not putting a shift in like the rest, then I'll tell him what I think.

That's a fair point, however sometimes certain elements of the support take a dislike to a player and will moan at them regardless of how they play. That gets on my tits no end. Equally some players can do no wrong in the eyes of some supporters.

No keeper can ever do enough at Saints as he'll always be compared to Alan Main, so they must be under extreme pressure to perform to an acceptable standard. McGregor was the only keeper who was upto Saints fans standard, and look at him now.

That's fair enough, but what's not, is when people moan when the game has barely kicked off and folk start berating our players. As I said, not so bad if you can tell by much later in the game someone isn't putting in the effort.

It's far too early to tell what standard McLean is at. As someone very astutely pointed out on another thread, Main was pish for his first few games (1st time round) and he was hardly sensational in some games last season.

So, if I see a supporter being a moany **** from the off then I'll tell him (or her) what I think! :wink:

Cant speak for those who were in the Stand at Dingwall - but i never heard one Saints fan (on the terracing behind the goal) shout abuse at Samuel or Mclean....infact the only ones doing any shouting at Mclean were Derek Mcinnes and Martin Hardie...and if it was to encourage the guy to come out of his goal area and command his goals then that has to be a good thing....Colin Samuel scored his first goal at Dingwall and showed some energy at Montrose with a couple of pacy runs-but again i didnt hear any words that could be "gettin on his back".

I think supporters have every right to come onto an open forum and discuss the way certain players play on the day...after all - the expectations of these guys to do well in a St.Johnstone team- has been well documentated by the Manager and Boardroom-so if they have a bad performance then we have a right to moan....what i do dislike is a "public" barracking of a player on the park-as that is the responsibility of the manager and team mates to do...AND if it makes that guy a better player so be it.

We dont expect every player to perform at their peak week in week out...however neither do we want to see players being carried by the team.

Shit happens and if we couldnt mump and moan....what a boring life we would have.

That's a fair point, however sometimes certain elements of the support take a dislike to a player and will moan at them regardless of how they play. That gets on my tits no end. Equally some players can do no wrong in the eyes of some supporters.

That's football fans for you mate, they're a fickle bunch.

I think supporters have every right to come onto an open forum and discuss the way certain players play on the day...after all - the expectations of these guys to do well in a St.Johnstone team- has been well documentated by the Manager and Boardroom-so if they have a bad performance then we have a right to moan....what i do dislike is a "public" barracking of a player on the park-as that is the responsibility of the manager and team mates to do...AND if it makes that guy a better player so be it.

I'm talking about the McDiarmind Moaners - not the forum ones.

Cant speak for those who were in the Stand at Dingwall - but i never heard one Saints fan (on the terracing behind the goal) shout abuse at Samuel or Mclean....infact the only ones doing any shouting at Mclean were Derek Mcinnes and Martin Hardie...and if it was to encourage the guy to come out of his goal area and command his goals then that has to be a good thing....Colin Samuel scored his first goal at Dingwall and showed some energy at Montrose with a couple of pacy runs-but again i didnt hear any words that could be "gettin on his back".

We dont expect every player to perform at their peak week in week out...however neither do we want to see players being carried by the team.

Shit happens and if we couldnt mump and moan....what a boring life we would have.

Fans are the prosecution, judge and jury when it comes to players, so I think we're fully entitled to vent our frustration.

My issue is the the fans that single out a player and give him a barrage of abuse direct from kick off, you all know the types. Usually an individual, and you do sometimes want to kick them in the bollocks.

I'm talking about the McDiarmind Moaners - not the forum ones.

Sorry....must have picked up your initial comment wrong....I thought you were referring to those at Dingwall.

Cant comment on the McDairmid moaners as yet...as the official season hasnt started........certainly didnt hear any barracking at the Burnley game-

Cant comment on the McDairmid moaners as yet...as the official season hasnt started........certainly didnt hear any barracking at the Burnley game-

Obviously we can't comment on this season's moaners yet but I am all-too-aware of the attitude of some so-called fans in previous years. I was just starting this thread to see if we could try and encourage fans to get behind the players from the off this season.

Obviously we can't comment on this season's moaners yet but I am all-too-aware of the attitude of some so-called fans in previous years. I was just starting this thread to see if we could try and encourage fans to get behind the players from the off this season.

Yeah i know - totally agree that it gets to players and supporters and should be stamped out- but how do you stop it---appart from (noose's idea)-which gets you or the person doing it chucked out ?

Yeah i know - totally agree that it gets to players and supporters and should be stamped out- but how do you stop it---appart from (noose's idea)-which gets you or the person doing it chucked out ?

I try to subject those doing it to a barracking of their own but I appreciate that often ends up making matters worse. I think the only way to stop it is to try and be more positive generally and promote support of the players through our own behaviour at games.

As I mentioned in the Livi match thread, there was some utter nonsense being directed at Samuel literally from within 5 minutes of him entering the game. It was only a very small minority behind the goal, but at a place like that every shout is heard by the players, and is completely uncalled for. Samuel looks a promising player and once he's fully fit I'm sure he'll add a lot to the team, but I heard things like "you're a lazy ******* Samuel" and "are you actually playing football today Samuel" every few minutes until he scored (coveniently they went quiet after that). I hope this was a one-off as it really irks me.

On a lighter note, it was funny when the County keeper swore at one of his players and one of the ladies behind the goal shouted "watch your language keeper", to which he turned round and apologised :-)

I'm not accusing you of doing this, but it was that argument that people used to justify some of the things that were directed at Jason Scotland. Despite him being a superb player and hugely important to us, he got more than his fair share of moans from the stands.

I'm not accusing you of doing this, but it was that argument that people used to justify some of the things that were directed at Jason Scotland. Despite him being a superb player and hugely important to us, he got more than his fair share of moans from the stands.

Too right. I think there have been a lot of very good Saints players down the years who have often had to put up with this sort of bizarre treatment. George O'Boyle definitely took a lot of stick despite clearly being a class act. Even Nick Dasovic used to get in the neck from a lot of idiots. There's not really any way of legislating for it though. Every club has its moron element within its support - people like that can't really be reasoned with.

If Samuel heard people giving him the stick on Saturday that dc mentioned above, he must have been wondering what the hell was going on. It's his first competitive game for his new club, he's just come off the bench and he's known to be recovering from an injury, and people have already written him off as lazy? Based on what? I noticed someone on the forum the other day referred to him as "lazy and past it". That sort of opinion is, frankly, bonkers. The guy's not even particularly old, and was playing in a World Cup a couple of years ago. He also has a pretty decent scoring record in Scotland - and he's kicked off his Saints career with a goal on his debut, despite the circumstances mentioned above. But heaven forbid some people actually give the guy a chance and get behind him!

Football is the place where alot of people can let off a weeks steam. They can't do it at home because their missus gives them a slap, so they come to the football and take out their frustration at being inadequate in all forms of life, on someone who they feel Isn't cutting the mustard and performing to their standards.

We could have Ronaldo and he'd still get called an arse from time to times, it just goes with the territory. Accept that the moaners are here to say, and have a giggle at the absurdity of some of the bollocks they spout.

How's your Rocco shrine coming along? I heard he's cut his hair.

On a lighter note, it was funny when the County keeper swore at one of his players and one of the ladies behind the goal shouted "watch your language keeper", to which he turned round and apologised :-)

Tony Bollocks is an officer and a gentleman.

I didn't anyone giving out any abuse, about from one old guy who shouted 'good shot Jase!' when Sammy hit a belter, which is wrong but funny.

How's your Rocco shrine coming along? I heard he's cut his hair.

Rocco was a hunk and always will be regardless of any salon visits. Just to clarify, my bottomless pit of praise for Rocco never centred around his football performances. Sometimes a god of unimaginable beauty walks amongst men.

I notice McLean (and, to a lesser extent, Samuel) has been coming in for a fair bit of stick on other threads. I wasn't at Dingwall but apparently some fans made their displeasure clear from the off too.

Can we stop getting on players' backs straight from kick-off and actually give them some support? If people aren't pulling their weight or having an awful season then I can understand the complaints, but do you think we could all encourage those around us at the game on Saturday to actually give the lads a chance and support them from the off? I know it's a minority who do it but it's a really annoying minority!

Don't know if this is deserving of a thread of its own but it's something that really pisses me off about some of our fans and think it should be addressed.

I agree DS I think that all clubs have moaners and as other posters have said football fans reserve the right to be demanding. But everything has to be proportionate and turning on players in pre-season before a competitive ball has been kicked seems unfair. We all make mistakes and sometimes we are less alert than we should be. For example, I too live in Dennistoun and had you been looking out your window when you started this post, you would have seen the polis at my door. Some weedgie broke into my garage. So don't blame Collin Sammuel when your own standards of community action are so woeful.

C'mon the Dennistoun Saintees

what a load of condescening tosh.