That Was The Team That Was - 1974 World Cup Finals

Ronaldo

Thakfully I can remember this, when we were in the top ten international sides in the world as rated by FIFA.

Tonight 11pm, this should be interesting viewing to see iof we were really as good as I remember.

I recall Billy Btremner missing a sitter against Brazil and a bombardment of fire power on their goal.

The Yugoslavia game was a hard one but we were unlucky to get Zaire in the first game because they wetre easy but we didn't know how easy until they started to falter by game three.

Squad - David Harvey (Leeds), Sandy Jardine (Rangers), Danny McGrain (Celtic), Martin Buchan (Man Utd), Billy Bremner (Leeds), Jim Holton (Man Utd), John Blackley(Hibs), Kenny Dalglish Celtic), Htchison (Man City), Willie Morgan (Man Utd), Joe Jordan (Leeds), David Hay (Celtic), Peter Lorimer (Leeds), Denis Law (Man Utd),

With the exception of Hutchison and Blackley all the players were in the top 20 European clubs, a far cry from our current status.

Brilliant, Happy Days. :D

I thought when I was young we'd always be at the top. :roll:

I wish they'd shown more of the actual games and stretched things out for an hour.

Nice to see Willie again, genuis. Jordan was the Van Nistelrooy of his day, Kenny at his best, Lorimer had the strongest shot officially recorded in world football, Denis Law my hero, Jimmy Johnstone - awesome, David Harvey - a great goalkeeper and has always made me smile. :)

Brilliant, Happy Days. :D

I thought when I was young we'd always be at the top. :roll:

I wish they'd shown more of the actual games and stretched things out for an hour.

Nice to see Willie again, genuis. Jordan was the Van Nistelrooy of his day, Kenny at his best, Lorimer had the strongest shot officially recorded in world football, Denis Law my hero, Jimmy Johnstone - awesome, David Harvey - a great goalkeeper and has always made me smile. :)

cant agree more,so am gonna go away an cry for a wee while :oops:

was there that much difference really? getting the results against big teams and fluffing at the small ones. i never saw the programm and i only know a wee bit about it. but did this team set us on the trend we still have not got out of - ie struggling against minows!

it would be great to have such confidence in a national team again. the songs were amazing!

Has anyone got it copied onto dvd?

I finished work early to watch it, superb.

I hate the EBC, do my nut in the w**kers. Quote from the EBC news at the time,

"TROUBLE COULD COME FROM THE ARABS, THE GERMAN BARDAR MEIN HOFF ANORCHISTS AND THE INVADING HOARD OF SCOTS FANS"

B***ards, I hate them with a passion.

Great reply from the narrator, "PERHAPS THEY FEARED THE SCOTS WOULD INFLICT A SING SONG N THEM"

Alba gu brath

I wish I was around to see a great Scotland side that was capable of amazing things. Hopefully we will have one some time again.

"Capable" of amazing things perhaps, but never actually achieved any. For all that gets said about the Scotland players of old, they never managed to do any better than the more recent sides. They certainly didn't come any closer to qualifying for a 2nd round than Craig Brown's strongest team did. It would be great to see a Scotland team playing with that sort of flair again, but I think the history books show that (sadly) the end result is just the same.

"Capable" of amazing things perhaps, but never actually achieved any. For all that gets said about the Scotland players of old, they never managed to do any better than the more recent sides. They certainly didn't come any closer to qualifying for a 2nd round than Craig Brown's strongest team did. It would be great to see a Scotland team playing with that sort of flair again, but I think the history books show that (sadly) the end result is just the same.

Glorius failures :twisted:

It is in our genes. :cry:

We had players you would gladly pay to watch,

Jordan, Bremner, Willie Morgan, Hutchison and Davie Hay, what a class act Davie Hay was, he really was a great great player. Perhaps some others will remember how good he was, he never really got the recognition he deserved. He was so comfortable on the ball, so laid back he was horizontal, Quality.

The Scotland teams of the 70Â’s were in the top 10 and rated higher than England who were in the top 5 in the 60's.

Craig Brown got us to one World Cup finals, which was the 1998 finals in France where we got beaten by Brazil and gubbed by Morocco and drew with Norway. We have only qualified for one world cup in 16 years and 20 years by the next world cup. That means by the next world cup finals (20 years since Italia 90) whatever we do we will only have managed one point at the finals. You cannot really blame any of the Scotland managers for the last 20 years since the level of world class player has been very low. We are rated 60th in the world and the Scotland team of the 70's would love the current Scotland team in their qualifying group.

On the other hand the Scotland team of the 70's and 80's qualified for five world cup finals in a row. Scotland weren't beaten at the 1974 finals. They had awesome fire power and didn't have to rely on a 4-5-1 system to battle out a narrow win or draw. There were world class players who were well known abroad and were highly rated in England. Many of the Scottish squad then were used to success in Europe at club level - Dalgleish, Souness, Hansen, Jimmy Johnstone, Denis Law, Leeds, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd players etc. Denis Law, Joe Jordan and Souness all played in Italy and Macleod, MacInally and Lambert played in Germany and John Collins played for Monaco. A couple of the latter players made the 1990's just but the conveyer belt of talent was drying up. They had a massive following from the young in the 70's because with the talent that they were going to see were guaranteed to give you entertainment with the exception of a few games.

At last there are some decent young players appearing after a severe drought but can they make the jump to world class? We tend to be a bit insular and rate our players based on what we see locally. There is no equality between the two eras.

[Wee John, I am giving Ricky the DVD tomorrow, he says he knows how to get it to you :) - Ronnie]