some more trivia questions

blueheaven

An outfield player would be booked for that as well though! :P

By the way, I'm a little suspicious about whether the answer I have for this question is actually accurate - so once I've revealed it I'd like to hear Chopsy's take on it!

In that case I'll go for picking up a pass back (which I don't think is a bookable offence)

The goalkeeper cannot hold the ball for more than 6 seconds....?

Yup, that is true actually - but it's not the answer I was looking for!

I suppose I should add that I've just done a bit of extra research on the second question and it turns out the answer I have for it is incorrect. The answer I was looking for is The Royal Engineers, who according to urban myth won it in 1871 and the winning goal was scored by a guy called Willie Never. But the FA website says...

Who won The FA Cup and never scored a goal?†should be understood as “Who won The FA Cup without scoring a goal?†The answer is Cardiff City – they beat Arsenal 1-0 to lift The Cup in 1927 and the only goal is sometimes given as an own goal by the Arsenal ‘keeper, Dan Lewis. If anyone suggests that a player called “Never†played in The Cup Final, they’re wrong.

Thank you ....thank you ....... thank you ....... and how many refs can count to 6 :lol:

Well chopper can, He gave a free kick against Gannochy 17's for this a few weeks back :?

I was going to post an outfield player would not have the ball in his hand for 6 seconds but then remembered about throw in's .

Perhaps chopper can confirm how long an outfield player could hold it at a shy

Edited due to my Dyslexia, :oops: sorry Chopper for getting your name wrong twice

Well chooper can, He gave a free kick against Gannochy 17's for this a few weeks back :?

I was going to post an outfield player would not have the ball in his hand for 6 seconds but then remembered about throw in's .

No, you're right - an outfield player can't hold the ball for 6 seconds (or any amount of seconds, for that matter). Throw-ins don't count, because the keeper could take a throw in too. Which means that answer actually doesn't count - still waiting for someone to come up with the one I have for it! :P

This came to me in the between Periods in Hockey tonight as they finished off the ice

the keeper cannot mark the pitch in any way otherwise he should get booked

Although I did a keeping course with Dave Westwater and that was one of the first things he said we should be getting our keepers to do. He said all pro keepers try it.

Wouldn't an outfield player get booked for doing that too, though? Say, if an outfield player was to take the goalkick and made a mark in the pitch first - wouldn't the same rule apply?

To give a bit of a clue, the answer that I'm looking for (and I'm still not convinced it's true!), is something that has becoming increasingly fashionable for goalkeepers to do over the last few years - you see them doing it fairly regularly in games on TV, but I've never in my life heard of any keeper actually being booked for it! Outfield players do it practically as the norm, except during the winter!

wear short sleeves

Yup - that's it. Apparently a keeper can be booked for wearing short sleeves because the ref has to know who's handled the ball if there's a crowded box and a lot of arms go up at once. I'd imagine this maybe dates back to when before keepers wore gloves?

On the marking the pitch thing - if a midfielder was to stand and deliberately kick bits out of the turf in the middle of a game, wouldn't he get booked for it?

Yup - that's it. Apparently a keeper can be booked for wearing short sleeves because the ref has to know who's handled the ball if there's a crowded box and a lot of arms go up at once. I'd imagine this maybe dates back to when before keepers wore gloves?

On the marking the pitch thing - if a midfielder was to stand and deliberately kick bits out of the turf in the middle of a game, wouldn't he get booked for it?

Doubtful as you often see players kicking divots in the turf for free kicks etc

If he did it at McDiarmid, he would get one of Chris Smith's long handled forks just where he wouldn't want it :shock:

Must admit, I didn't know the short sleeve answer :shock::lol:

As for the others I shall direct to the Laws where applicable:

Handling the ball outside his area (the box).

Deliberate handball (something a lot of people need to grasp) is penalised by a direct free kick if outside the penalty area and a penalty kick if the offence is committed by an outfield player inside the area.

There is no requirement for a player to be cautioned, FIFA have it as such:

- Deliberately handling a ball - Referees are reminded that deliberately handling the ball is normally punished only by a direct free kick or penalty kick if the offence occurred inside the penalty area. A caution or dismissal is not normally required

- Cautions for unsporting behaviour by deliberately handling the ball - There are circumstances when, in addition to a free kick being awarded, a player must also be cautioned for unsporting behaviour e.g.when a player:

deliberately and blatantly handles the ball to prevent an opponent gaining possession;

attempts to score a goal by deliberately handling the ball.

In that case I'll go for picking up a pass back (which I don't think is a bookable offence)

If the goalkeeper stops the ball from going into the goal by handling a pass back, as it can be classed as unsporting behaviour, but he cannot be ordered off as he has not denied an opponent a goalscoring opportunity, rather a team mate.

The goalkeeper cannot hold the ball for more than 6 seconds....?

Correct. Although no caution would be given for that - ask Real Madrid (I still don't know why everyone was confused when I gave that!!!).

FIFA - Referees are reminded that goalkeepers are not permitted to keep possession of the ball in their hands for more than six seconds. A goalkeeper guilty of this offence is punished by an indirect free kick.

Perhaps chooper can confirm how long an outfield player could hold it at a shy

Don't know who chooper is but I will give it a shot :wink::roll:

There is no limit to how long a player can hold a ball at a throw-in, although if the referee feels he is deliberately delaying the restart of play (ie timewasting) then the player would be cautioned as such.

The only rule for throw ins (with the exception of how to take a throw-in) is that an opposition player must be at least 2 yards from the ball - this is changed from last year to try and curb a number of incidents where players were being caught (whether deliberately or not) by the thrower's follow through.

Coming off his line early during a penalty?

Encroachment. Outfielders can be cautioned by moving into the penalty area during a penalty as well.

If the keeper is making marks with in the turf with his boot (ie making a slight indent in the pitch), then that is OK as long as it does not make that area of the pitch dangerous to any player (and with pitches at this time of year, I doubt it would make that much difference!!!). There can be no markings with anything such as a marker or a spot of line paint (obviously with the exception of the 6 yard box and penalty spot), but there is nothing formal in place for these instances.

Boring post I know, but happy to help :lol::wink:

If the keeper is making marks with in the turf with his boot (ie making a slight indent in the pitch), then that is OK as long as it does not make that area of the pitch dangerous to any player (and with pitches at this time of year, I doubt it would make that much difference!!!). There can be no markings with anything such as a marker or a spot of line paint (obviously with the exception of the 6 yard box and penalty spot), but there is nothing formal in place for these instances.

Is it no longer an offence for the keeper to mark out his goal by dragging his boot along the ground and leaving lines to assist his positioning?

Is it no longer an offence for the keeper to mark out his goal by dragging his boot along the ground and leaving lines to assist his positioning?

There is nothing in the Laws (that I have seen) that would say that this is an offence, but there is a consideration as to whether any such markings would make that area of the park "dangerous", and, if so, it would need to be fixed before the match continued.