Today's Fanfest

Over the Road

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Said in the press current squad would be there to sign autographs, etc. I arrived at 3:45 & saw Irvine walking to his car, didn't see any other of the current squad. The legends didn't mean anything to most of the kids there, they were looking for the current squad. Given that the official start time was 4:00 i'd have thought the players would've been asked to hang around till 5 esp after getting a free lunch.

my son got nearly all the current squad to sign autographs, and we did not get there til 20 to 4, they were all mulling about in pairs!!!amd Alan Main , Monner and Paul Sheerin were there till at least 6pm

Edited by THE LARK SAINT

Given that the official start time was 4:00 i'd have thought the players would've been asked to hang around till 5 esp after getting a free lunch.

I would imagine that the players will never pay for anything they eat a the stadium :roll:

my son got nearly all the current squad to sign autographs, and we did not get there til 20 to 4, they were all mulling about in pairs!!!amd Alan Main , Monner and Paul Sheerin were there till at least 6pm

Yes,, although i didn't see them i accept that Sheerin, Moon & Main stayed till at least 6-6.30 (& good on them for that) but how long did the rest stay after 4? the astro pitch & surroundings weren't exactly packed & i together with folk i spoke to didn't see any of them. as someone's already said, i'd have come earlier if it'd been stated that the players weren't obliged to stay after 4. as for the comment about the players not paying for meals at the stadium, well that's as read ain't it? they're pro footballers after all, got to treat the little darlings like kids - i heard they get their brekkies & lunch when they're training. as Roddy himself said once, full-time footballers don't know what a real job is. remember he took Biscuits out on a roofing job once as a PR stunt & the guy was complaining after about 3 hrs :laugh: GB is well known for saying they've got it easy!

Yes,, although i didn't see them i accept that Sheerin, Moon & Main stayed till at least 6-6.30 (& good on them for that) but how long did the rest stay after 4? the astro pitch & surroundings weren't exactly packed & i together with folk i spoke to didn't see any of them. as someone's already said, i'd have come earlier if it'd been stated that the players weren't obliged to stay after 4. as for the comment about the players not paying for meals at the stadium, well that's as read ain't it? they're pro footballers after all, got to treat the little darlings like kids - i heard they get their brekkies & lunch when they're training. as Roddy himself said once, full-time footballers don't know what a real job is. remember he took Biscuits out on a roofing job once as a PR stunt & the guy was complaining after about 3 hrs :laugh: GB is well known for saying they've got it easy!

The players came into the sponsors day at 2pm after finishing a training session, They were absolutley knackered. They were also starving all of them, they had a simple buffet that was laid on by saints for the sponsors so you are talking one small sandwich and a sausage roll.

After a training session your body does need fuel to recover so you can imagine the need to rest and get their calories in.

Speaking to some of them they hadn't seen their families all week so I think they deserved to go home.

The players came into the sponsors day at 2pm after finishing a training session, They were absolutley knackered. They were also starving all of them, they had a simple buffet that was laid on by saints for the sponsors so you are talking one small sandwich and a sausage roll.

After a training session your body does need fuel to recover so you can imagine the need to rest and get their calories in.

Speaking to some of them they hadn't seen their families all week so I think they deserved to go home.

oh boo-hoo:sad: 1 sandwich & 1 sausage roll, i doubt that, Saints hospitality is usually good. They hadn''t seen their families all week? Aw, what a shame, they want to try a tour of duty out in Afghanistan with the troops. They'd get all their meals provided, however paid less & risk of being killed.

Really? It's a job with relatively low pay & people from this area are doing it. There's lots of other risky or unpleasant jobs so being a professional sportsman/woman is a job which most of us would love to do in comparison.

What is your point? The players were there but left earlier than any of us would like however they had been away all week. They are contracted to play football and whatever else that may entail. They don't have to have everything they do compared with squaddies nor do any of us if it comes to that. And I speak as someone who has done the squaddie bit as well.

Every job is different and people choose to do them for a variety of reasons. You would have been as well comparing an apple and an orange. They are both fruits bit other than that they have very little in common.

oh boo-hoo:sad: 1 sandwich & 1 sausage roll, i doubt that, Saints hospitality is usually good. They hadn''t seen their families all week? Aw, what a shame, they want to try a tour of duty out in Afghanistan with the troops. They'd get all their meals provided, however paid less & risk of being killed.

Dont get you!!. how can you compare squadies to pro players? a world of difference!!!! and before you say anything i am an ex squadie so i know what the difference is to that ,and any civie job!!! including football.

What point are you trying to prove/make here? Why would you even think the players would be at Fanfest, it was never said they would be and this was never promoted as a replacement for the open day. Go back and look at the news history and you will see there was due to be the Radio Tay roadshow, an Abba tribute and players from the past 20 years, no mention of the current squad anywhere.

As to going out to Afghanistan, that is the squadies choice, they knew what the army does when they signed up so why bleat about it once you are asked to go and do some fighting and risk death, nobody ever said it was glamourous and I can assure you it isn't. Pity you were not sent out there as it would have put a civil tongue in your head and maybe even teach you a thing or two about life. I am with Larky on this as I too have been through it in my younger days!!

Grow up before it is too late Scott1884

My young lad has been at the soccer schools being run at McDermid this week and yesterday when the players returned from training some of them went into the park but the remainder joined the young ones for a kick around. The wife was waiting to pick the young lad up and said that you could see the glow on every one of there faces. My young lad had Garry Irvine in his team but said it was his fault they got beat. Think this was a great touch from the players that took part in this as they have made lot of young lads very happy.

What point are you trying to prove/make here? Why would you even think the players would be at Fanfest, it was never said they would be and this was never promoted as a replacement for the open day. Go back and look at the news history and you will see there was due to be the Radio Tay roadshow, an Abba tribute and players from the past 20 years, no mention of the current squad anywhere.

As to going out to Afghanistan, that is the squadies choice, they knew what the army does when they signed up so why bleat about it once you are asked to go and do some fighting and risk death, nobody ever said it was glamourous and I can assure you it isn't. Pity you were not sent out there as it would have put a civil tongue in your head and maybe even teach you a thing or two about life. I am with Larky on this as I too have been through it in my younger days!!

Grow up before it is too late Scott1884

Being away from home & travelling is part of a pro footballer's life.

As for not having a civil tongue, nothing i've said has been rude or abusive.

As for growing up & learning 'a thing or 2' about life, you''ve never met me & if you did you'd be embarrassed you said that.

I was at the sponsors event and can confirm the food the players received was a light buffet, but that's besides the point... most did not seem to know much about it and had been told that they were to pop out before going home... I think things could have been handled much better, but hope they keep the gist of this idea for doing again next season. As for timing, I left the sponsors thing at the same time as players at about 3.40 and most were still signing autographs and posing for photos at the back of four.

Thoughts on improvements should have been a big flip chart with a set of times along the lines of:-

Main Stage

4.00pm - Tay Roadshow starts.

4.15pm - Current team and first division trophy on stage. (playes can then get away)

4.30pm - New signings introduced on stage.

5.00pm - First half of legends introduced.

5.30pm - Second set of legends.

6.00pm - 70's music.

7.00pm - Abba.

Meanwhile (And one of the goalmouths could have been boxed off to host these events.)

4.00 till 5.00pm - Face painting.

5.00 till 6.00pm - Beat the goalie (get a couple of the young goalies for this).

6.00 till 7.00pm - Fastest Shot.

i.e. free events that the kids would have loved.

It may have been a good idea to put a decent local band on to get a range of music... I'm sure those Hello Pirates? dudes would have stepped up to the plate.

Being away from home & travelling is part of a pro footballer's life.

As for not having a civil tongue, nothing i've said has been rude or abusive.

As for growing up & learning 'a thing or 2' about life, you''ve never met me & if you did you'd be embarrassed you said that.

You don't really have a clue what it's like too be a footballer. You train for hours 5 days a week, now how much exercise do you do? And how tired do you feel after it? Well imagine doing it vigorously for 5 days? And we'll see if you'd want too hang around longer than you had too. The players showed face then went home. Mooner stayed longer because he probably knew some people being a local lad and all. Sheerin and Alan stayed as they have young kids who were enjoying themselves. The rest left as they wanted just to get home and relax after tough pre-season sessions, which speaking from experience are horrible and completely drain you. If they didn't get a proper meal after their session, no wonder they left as soon as possible as they would not have had any energy left. Your comparison too the army and such is ridiculous. People choose their profession, be it football, armed forces, lawyer or doctor. They all have different physical and mental demands, so to say footballers get it easy is bollocks.

You don't really have a clue what it's like too be a footballer. You train for hours 5 days a week, now how much exercise do you do? And how tired do you feel after it? Well imagine doing it vigorously for 5 days? And we'll see if you'd want too hang around longer than you had too. The players showed face then went home. Mooner stayed longer because he probably knew some people being a local lad and all. Sheerin and Alan stayed as they have young kids who were enjoying themselves. The rest left as they wanted just to get home and relax after tough pre-season sessions, which speaking from experience are horrible and completely drain you. If they didn't get a proper meal after their session, no wonder they left as soon as possible as they would not have had any energy left. Your comparison too the army and such is ridiculous. People choose their profession, be it football, armed forces, lawyer or doctor. They all have different physical and mental demands, so to say footballers get it easy is bollocks.

Thought Mike180279 & SaintKev's suggestions on previous page were very good.

Been at McD Park during the week on various occasions & saw players leaving at 2.30-3. Asked about their routine during the season & was told it varies but usually they come in about 9-9.30, train 2-3 hrs, have lunch, then given a talk & then go home. Don't necessarily train every day. Being paid to stay fit is not necessarily a hard ship esp if you're on the sort of wages EPL players get (£50-100k+ per week).

How much exercise do i do? None, i'm in a w/chair unfortunately.

Edited by Scott1884

Thought Mike180279 & SaintKev's suggestions on previous page were very good.

Been at McD Park during the week on various occasions & saw players leaving at 2.30-3. Asked about their routine during the season & was told it varies but usually they come in about 9-9.30, train 2-3 hrs, have lunch, then given a talk & then go home. Don't necessarily train every day. Being paid to stay fit is not necessarily a hard ship esp if you're on the sort of wages EPL players get (£50-100k+ per week).

How much exercise do i do? None, i'm in a w/chair unfortunately.

Well I'm sorry to hear that. But training 2-3 hours a day for 5 days a week vigorously during pre-season takes a lot out of you. On top of that, they were just back from a pre-season tour playing games in a short space of time. It is a very difficult thing too do. A lot of players get stick which isn't necessery. These guys aren't "celebrities". A lot of forum members will earn more than the top players do, so keeping yourself in top physical shape for that kind of money isn't exactly "easy going". They were tired, they showed face and left. Fair play, they're average human beings, not celebrities like Ronaldo, Henry, Beckham etc. and wanted too go home, rest up for the week ahead and see their loved ones.

Forgot to say was told they get breakfast & usually get Wed off. Agree most SPL players not on high wages but they are being paid to do something they enjoy &, many of them not being the brightest means they probably earn more than they would in the outside world. Also part time/junior/amateur players have to train after doing their day jobs. Obviously we disagree on this but most people would love tto be paid to play a sport they enjoy. You only have to look at the number of kids who try (& mostly fail) to become pro sportsmen/women.

Forgot to say was told they get breakfast & usually get Wed off. Agree most SPL players not on high wages but they are being paid to do something they enjoy &, many of them not being the brightest means they probably earn more than they would in the outside world. Also part time/junior/amateur players have to train after doing their day jobs. Obviously we disagree on this but most people would love tto be paid to play a sport they enjoy. You only have to look at the number of kids who try (& mostly fail) to become pro sportsmen/women.

Agreed, but many people say these guys as being payed to do a hobbie of theirs which is wrong. It's a profession and to these guys, winning or losing a game could mean the difference between being able to give their kids a few bob and enjoy a few luxuries, or being short of a few quid for a week. These guys aren't Ronaldo's who are overpaid t***'s. They are playing to pay for their homes, wives and kids, so shouldn't be treated like celebrities and moaned at for not staying at fanfests for long enough

Most on here would have probably paid to play for Saints!

Unfortunately, reality dictates against that due to facts of life such as mortgages, wives and other financial drains.

Most on here would have probably paid to play for Saints!

Unfortunately, reality dictates against that due to facts of life such as mortgages, wives and other financial drains.

And the fact that apart from the odd few like Mooner & Phizzy Scott, none of us are good enough:laugh:

• 2 years later...