Gavin Swankie

iversaint

I don't understand this, the boy has the ability to turn games and you could see how much we missed his creativity and goals after he left us. The sort of player he is often gets the short straw in this country as we seem to prefer industry over ability much like a certain player we have at Dens now, doesn't do a great deal of the donkey work and despite having enourmous talent is starting to attract moans from sections of our support.
He just doesnt seem to click when the crowd gets behind him in the wrong way - that applies equally to opponents as well as our own sadly.

Take our game last year in Feb, your support was on his back from the 1st minute and he wasnt in the game.

He is not going to get that this season and I have posted on here numerous times that this could well be his season.

Who are you referring to? Harkins?

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He just doesnt seem to click when the crowd gets behind him in the wrong way - that applies equally to opponents as well as our own sadly.

Take our game last year in Feb, your support was on his back from the 1st minute and he wasnt in the game.

He is not going to get that this season and I have posted on here numerous times that this could well be his season.

Who are you referring to? Harkins?

Gavin is a confidence player, fans getting on his case is just going to have the effect of causing him to play the way that makes the fans get on his back in the first place. I think you've seen first hand an on form Gavin Swankie both for you and against you.

Yes, I was talking about Harkins.

Sounds like a Golf..

Are you just taking a swing at the car I might drive? If so, you've got some balls. I am worried the owner of a golf might have his car trashed whilst at the club. Then he'd be bunkered. He might need a bigger car to tow him, a VW Caddy might suffice. Ach well, I've sunk a few puns into that wee post. Some of them are so old they make me green round the gills.

I really don't understand the hate Gavin Swankie gets. well I can understand that people are desperate to get on his back for not performing like Christiano Ronaldo, but for a wee club from Perth, Swankie is one of our biggest assets.

He's reasonably fast, prolly one of the pacier members of the squad, ok he maybe isn't terribly creative in terms of threaded passes over the defence or a polific number of assists but he can beat people, he's silky and the boy has a hell of a shot on him when he's got the time and space for it.

This whole "swankie has one good game then a few honking ones" argument is asinine. If he had 4 great games with a few honkers here and there then he wouldn't be playing for Saints.

Not sure which commentator it was now on Tuesday night, but the jist of the conversation was 'That it is about time Swankie, who is old enough and has been arround long enough now, to start giving consistant performances. He can no longer use youth as an excuse.'

I feel that just about sums up the situation and would certainly get the fans off his back.

Not sure which commentator it was now on Tuesday night, but the jist of the conversation was 'That it is about time Swankie, who is old enough and has been arround long enough now, to start giving consistant performances. He can no longer use youth as an excuse.'

I feel that just about sums up the situation and would certainly get the fans off his back.

I think it also falls down to the rotation of the squad. I want him to start tomorrow but suspect he probably wont. He then fades back out into the background.

Gavin is a confidence player, fans getting on his case is just going to have the effect of causing him to play the way that makes the fans get on his back in the first place. I think you've seen first hand an on form Gavin Swankie both for you and against you.

Yes, I was talking about Harkins.

Spot on Webby, i made that point ages ago

Maybe I'm just not listening or the folk that moan about Swankie are no longer around me in the East but I have a feeling folk are warming to him a bit.

There was a spell last season where he was getting on the pitch in home games and not really performing and folk got on his back and it kinda stuck even though he was much better when he got a chance towards the end of the season. The Clyde game in particular he ran the show, couldnae believe my eyes but he was fantastic that night.

I think if he gets a couple of games in a row (unlikely under Del I know) that would really help him and a couple of good performances would hopefully get any remaining moaners off his back.

Having said that, you can't please some folk, after hearing some of the moaning at Easter Road last Tuesday even though we were getting ourselves back in the game early on. Some of the comments and general whinging was pretty ridiculous.

I hope he plays on Saturday on the left or right of a 4-4-2. Swankie one side, Morais the other, why not?

I'm still not convinced that Swankie is worth a start in the team. What does he offer ? People are raving about his performance on Saturday but I didn't see anything to suggest he should start against Hamilton.

He's a winger who can't go past anyone and doesn't deliver decent crosses on a regular basis.