Your Auld School Teachers - Like and Dislike

25e Ainslie Place

Another Bertie (Glass) was the head at Goodlyburn in the late 60s/70s. I remember we used to go on strike and hang out in the outside bogs, which had a wee brick wall around the outside which was good for a wee game o fitba. We'd sing to the tune of "We'll support you evermore" "Bertie Glass, Bertie Glass, you're no fit tae wipe ma ar*e". It used to drive them bananas but there wis nothing they could dae to us in these days.

Another Bertie (Glass) was the head at Goodlyburn in the late 60s/70s. I remember we used to go on strike and hang out in the outside bogs, which had a wee brick wall around the outside which was good for a wee game o fitba. We'd sing to the tune of "We'll support you evermore" "Bertie Glass, Bertie Glass, you're no fit tae wipe ma ar*e". It used to drive them bananas but there wis nothing they could dae to us in these days.

I remember going on strike at the Goodlyburn,due to a heating failure.

That would be circa 1971

I got an essay from him about the inside of a ping pong ball in no less that 500 words or the belt if i failed. So i can confirm that the belt off of the old tawt (rip) was painful.

Got the belt from Bert RIP and Tich norman RIP (Small but could lay the belt)

and banned from football/rugby all sport for the term because i pulled out of the first ever grammar opera which was held at the tech college because the grammar was being rebuilt/knocked down around us so we had no hall to put the show on i found out early that Scotland was playing Ziare in the world cup on the opening night so i said i had a sore throat after spending weeks rehersing every afternoon up at the college they seemed to think i abused the situation .

Ma Terrace the french teacher was ace (You Sir)

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, what could you write about on the subject of the inside of a ping pong ball? unless you wrote absolute rubbish about a hidden world inside.

Best and worst teacher was Mr Wormald. Worst when teaching what he was supposed to be teaching you and best when he was talking about the RAF, rugby, foreign travel etc. He was lethal with a metre stick....

Firstly, what could you write about on the subject of the inside of a ping pong ball?

Silly question, Carron. The inside of a ping-pong ball is another world. You might think that there is just air inside, but, in fact, it is a parallel universe. In that world there is peace, love and best of all, the Boys never lose. There is no Old Firm. Aberdonians only

HERD sheep, and Dundonians eat pies, not pehs.

Utopia.

Smudge

Perth Grammar School.

Mr Roddick, only got him once when our teacher was off. Nobody took him seriously, he couldnt handle a class. In fact nobody pupil took him seriously from the day he started till the day he left. Teaching was ruining his health.

One weekend he shaved off his 'tache and beard, big mistake. The laughter he got.

Firstly, what could you write about on the subject of the inside of a ping pong ball? unless you wrote absolute rubbish about a hidden world inside.

Best and worst teacher was Mr Wormald. Worst when teaching what he was supposed to be teaching you and best when he was talking about the RAF, rugby, foreign travel etc. He was lethal with a metre stick....

I remember him - he was Michael Heseltine's long lost twin!:laugh:

Who remembers Mr Malcolm the visiting music teacher? Had him at primary school, he always smelt of drink. Maybe it was the thought of having to teach us, but the drink smell was there first thing in the morning!

Aye old malcolm was some case, Wormold used to go ape if you mentioned Sunderland after the Leeds cup final and also remember him sending of about seven players in a house footbal match because he used Rugby rules as he was a rugby ref. Best teachers around that time were Harry High, Bill Chapman.

Aye old malcolm was some case, Wormold used to go ape if you mentioned Sunderland after the Leeds cup final and also remember him sending of about seven players in a house footbal match because he used Rugby rules as he was a rugby ref. Best teachers around that time were Harry High, Bill Chapman.

Harry High? I remember a Mr High who taught history. Best history teacher every, he brought the subject to life and could teach without the text book.

Mr Bryant the business teacher was brilliant, fantastic sense of humour, and knew his subject. His classroom overlooked Gowans Terrace, a mate of mine taught me how to tell the time by the passisng buses. Quite simply had Mr. B. saw you looking at your watch he would have made a comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Cowie (PGS) scary scary man. Apparently a very good teacher. When in a class in the old building, you would hear the click click of his shoes as he approached.

Someone who was leaving (I think it was 1979) went and assaulted him. No idea who it was.

Alan Reid, former saints full back. PE teacher at (Old) Perth High. Used to let the school team players play football every PE lesson whilst all the others got hockey, running or other crap sports. Great lad unlike the other teacher Mr Mortimer who use to make everybody do a bloody cross country run - stupid egg chaser!!!

Mr Cowie (PGS) scary scary man. Apparently a very good teacher. When in a class in the old building, you would hear the click click of his shoes as he approached.

Someone who was leaving (I think it was 1979) went and assaulted him. No idea who it was.

Yip, Mr Cowie was one of the old school of teachers. He was actually a bit of a softy when you got to know him though. A bit like Mr Brown (science) of the same era.

Poor old Mr Cowie. Eddie Newlands and his cohorts came in the school and gave Cowie a slap as well. Must have been about 84/85. I mind one assembly Cowie was reading out the school teams' fitba results and it was like PGS 1st years 4 Academy 12, PGS 2nd years 2 St Columba's 17 etc, etc. Some wag shouted out "Sure that's no' the rugby scores?" :laugh: Cowie then launched into a tirade about how they might fare better if more people went down to support them. Like that would have made a difference.

Mr Brown (pgs) he was a depute rector, had him for science in first year. We started off in the horsa huts, before moving to the new building.

He was a good teacher. When we got a test at the end of a section in the science book, he would mark the papers out loud.

In second year had Mr Andrews, (also taught maths). Would have his belt tucked inside his jacket, fantastic teacher and a great sense of humour.

In second year had Mr Andrews, (also taught maths). Would have his belt tucked inside his jacket, fantastic teacher and a great sense of humour.

The very name sends shivers down my spine. It's fair to say myself and Mr Andrew were not best friends...

Saw him recently pushing his trolly round tesco.

The very name sends shivers down my spine. It's fair to say myself and Mr Andrew were not best friends...

Saw him recently pushing his trolly round tesco.

One lesson, he lit a bunsen burner, and it burnt away for the whole of the double lesson. At the end, a boy put it out.

"You stupid little g*t", Mr Andrews roared "How the h**l am I going to light my pipe?"