Your Auld School Teachers - Like and Dislike

25e Ainslie Place

Miss Munro (Maths teacher at Perth Grammar). Great teacher, easy going and a good laugh. One day she was off and Mr Murray (head of maths) who looked about 900 years old was teaching us. Two boys were carrying on, and he called them out to the front, and told them to wait. He returned with his belt, gently placed the belt on their outstretched hands and asked if had hurt them. They said it hadnt. He then belted the teachers desk and asked if this would hurt. They both said it would. He told them to sit down and the lesson continued.

Mr Mears (Perth Grammar). Brilliant maths teacher. He was marking exam papers and burst out laughing and went and wrote this on the blackboard "PHARCOSINE". This was someones attempt at Farquharson. Anyone know where Mr Mears is these days. Reckon he will be retired now.

Mr Farquharson was heavily involved with Scone Thistle outside of school. Sadly no longer with us.

Perth Academy

Mr Munro - PE Teacher -Also coach for Perthshire RFC. Good guy as long as you played ruggers. Liked the women :wink:

Dave Ramsey - Maths Teacher - Absolute genuise and great guy as well

Miss Taylor - French teacher (and deputy head) - Miss Jean Brodie but far worse

Mr McCorkandale - Rector - Ruled with an iron rod. His favourite teaching tool wa sthe leather belt. We got him once to teach us when the teacher was off sick - brilliant man but of a different generation.

Ned Hunter - PE Teacher - Evil and horrible little man.

Dr Russell - French Teacher - Kilted to the hilt, arrogant tw@t.

Dr Leibsher - The Nutty Professor must have been named after this man

Dr Russell was my French teacher. Strange guy, always kilted and very arrogant. I think he ran for local council after he retired.

Mr Munro was quite old when I started at the Academy (started '89, left end of 6th year summer of '95) and I think he retired 1990. Good guy but definitely rugby orientated so fitted in at that school.

McCorkandale had retired by then. We were treated to Mr Waite who did **** all but sit in his office. Also known as "Terry Waite" cos no-one had seen him in 6 years, or "Badger" on account of his two-tone hair and that he only came out at night!

Rosyth, Dundee....classy places !

Well can't help where the parents chose to stay, dad was a civil servant....:roll:

And the primary school was brilliant, taught me everything I needed to know...

Where did you go...... Gordonstoun.......

And ... there are some nice places in Dundee, I should know..I live there... ;-p

Edited by mogs1968

Mr Mears (Perth Grammar). Brilliant maths teacher. He was marking exam papers and burst out laughing and went and wrote this on the blackboard "PHARCOSINE". This was someones attempt at Farquharson. Anyone know where Mr Mears is these days. Reckon he will be retired now.

Mr Farquharson was heavily involved with Scone Thistle outside of school. Sadly no longer with us.

Mr Mears - wi sticky oot ears? always stinking o booze when i was at the Grammar

and Auld Farquie with his bottle o scotch and twenty bensons on the go in the storeroom in the huts. remember going on a school trip tae the south o france and farquie being totally pished by the time the coach passed auchterarder

Mrs Davidson. Had her for art at primary school. Most of us were no good at art. However we did learn basics, such as people having feet, not wheels. In a picture nobody is floating in mid air. People do not stand with their feet at "quarter to three", if they did it would be entertaining to see them walk.

We were not to draw people with a circle for a head, a rectangle for a body, legs which looked like table legs and so on.

• 2 weeks later...
Bandy was a she, deffo maths but not sure if she was head of department.

If I remember she was deputy head but became head of dept soon after the amalgamation with Goodlyburn in 1971 at the changeover to comprehensive education. Her boss, Mr Maltman, was promoted to either deputy or assistant rector but still had some teaching responsibilities, he taught me SYS; I left in 1972.

I left Perth in 1966, ffs is it that long, having being educated(?) at Caledonian Road, then Goodlyburn primary, then Perth High School. I have few memories left apart from Caledonian rd. a Mrs Ditchburn who terrified the life out of me, then Goodlyburn, whose Headmaster was a Mr Miller, and then PHS who had Hector the rector, who I had many run-ins with. ***

I remember getting the belt for the first time in primary 5 when we moved to Greenock. The reason was that I was giggling. Reason for giggles was that I'd only heard weegie accents on the TV and here was a whole class talking with this accent. Found it funny and when asked why I was laughing had the sense not to tell the truth or I'd have got a kicking. Better the belt I reckoned. The teacher's name appropriately was Miss d*** !

I left Perth in 1966, ffs is it that long, having being educated(?) at Caledonian Road, then Goodlyburn primary, then Perth High School. I have few memories left apart from Caledonian rd. a Mrs Ditchburn who terrified the life out of me, then Goodlyburn, whose Headmaster was a Mr Miller, and then PHS who had Hector the rector, who I had many run-ins with. ***

I remember Mr Miller, the heidie of Goodlyburn, a long time ago but he seemed a firm but fair man. Then Goodlyburn had a roll of about 600, probably a lot less now.

I remember getting the belt for the first time in primary 5 when we moved to Greenock. The reason was that I was giggling. Reason for giggles was that I'd only heard weegie accents on the TV and here was a whole class talking with this accent. Found it funny and when asked why I was laughing had the sense not to tell the truth or I'd have got a kicking. Better the belt I reckoned. The teacher's name appropriately was Miss d*** !

It also worked the other way, anyone moving to Perth from the west could be ridiculed, and not just by the pupils.

Well, I was never belted at school as I was a pretty good kid. Just got smacked over the bare a**e in P1 by a Mrs McDougall for forcing a desk lid down on a boy's head. Promptly pissed all over her lap as soon as she started. Served her right. To this day, I can still recall images of steam rising from my pissy navy blue knickers as they dried on the class radiator. Should have shat on her.

Well, I was never belted at school as I was a pretty good kid. Just got smacked over the bare a**e in P1 by a Mrs McDougall for forcing a desk lid down on a boy's head. Promptly pissed all over her lap as soon as she started. Served her right. To this day, I can still recall images of steam rising from my pissy navy blue knickers as they dried on the class radiator. Should have shat on her.

You really are one classy burd FM x