Don't waste your money Jamie B

Slowhand

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would have thought that this thread would have gone the way it has eh ? The OP brought up the serious point that the forum has lost a good bit of the shine and respect that it once held only to watch the discussion be hijacked and then desend into a slagging match within 4 pages. That first post can now be viewed as a Nostradamus like prediction of the future.

My view point on the current quality of the forum is that it's evolved in the same way as say a favorite old pub from my youth. When I first started attending that pub it was full to the brim with interesting people from different walks of life who all held different view points on a wide range of subjects but all had the common bond of liking the atmosphere within that establishment. Gathered at the bar of that pub were the regulars who occupied the same seats on every visit, in the corner sat the wise old sage, near the juke box stood the resident know it all, in the beer garden the wiff of spliff filled the air and behind the bar stood mixture of wasted musical talent & dedicated under achievers. Not the perfect place to take your aged granny for a coffee but a place where most of the people inside got along and forgave others short comings with little more than a light hearted ribbing. Not the most up to date or well run esablishment but one where the management style was accepted as that of the management themselves, who after all were the very people who provided the service that the customers on the whole liked. These are my memories of the Twa Tams.

Life moved on and so did I. I returned to the Tams every now and then and noticed all the thing I held so dear slowly change. The regulars who had once gathered at the bar were now gathering at the maternity wing, the old sage had been cremated, the know it all had sussed out he didn't, the beer garden had been turned into an outdoor tanning salon and the bar staff were now wearing soul destroying logoed uniforms. The whole place had been atmosphericaly cleansed and no longer held any interest to me.

The Tams is still alive and going strong by the look of things but it's just not what it used to be. New faces now hold centre stage without a passing thought for the past masters. Those past masters are now to be found occasionally in the corners of other pubs, reminiscing about the good old days but only very rarely dipping in at Scott street for a quick pint and spending the entire time they are in there looking around and saying to themselves 'This place just ain't what it was'.

Doesnt matter what the topic is in the post, people will always take over talking $hit. Click any thread with more than a few pages and 25e will be posting $hit or 101 will be the master 'debater that has nothing relevant to the original post.

Jamie - how much does it cost to moderate this site? Can I request a new facelift, Im fed up with the grey-blues.

An increased number of pish on the forum is merely an indication that the team is enjoying relatively more success than of late, it tends to draw out the zoomers. As an example of this look at where Hibs are in the table :wink:

That said anyone who measures themselves by the amount of attention or bites they get on an internet forum need to have a look at themselves.

Dave - the running costs are in the hundreds of pounds per year for software licences and hosting. I paid that out of my own pocket (apart from a couple of very generous donations in the past) up until a few months ago, when advertising was added and started to pay some of the costs.

In terms of the site theme, I'd love to give it a facelift, but I'm not very good at that sort of thing. Dev did it in the past but he's a very infrequent visitor nowadays...

In terms of the level of debate here, I and my fellow moderators are increasingly frustrated with stuff going wildly off topic. But there's a fine line between deleting rubbish/splitting threads and stopping a debate taking its natural course. Its a tough one to deal with.

An increased number of pish on the forum is merely an indication that the team is enjoying relatively more success than of late, it tends to draw out the zoomers. As an example of this look at where Hibs are in the table :wink:

That said anyone who measures themselves by the amount of attention or bites they get on an internet forum need to have a look at themselves.

And who, on here, actually does that?

Guest Bertrand
Dave - the running costs are in the hundreds of pounds per year for software licences and hosting. I paid that out of my own pocket (apart from a couple of very generous donations in the past) up until a few months ago, when advertising was added and started to pay some of the costs.

In terms of the site theme, I'd love to give it a facelift, but I'm not very good at that sort of thing. Dev did it in the past but he's a very infrequent visitor nowadays...

In terms of the level of debate here, I and my fellow moderators are increasingly frustrated with stuff going wildly off topic. But there's a fine line between deleting rubbish/splitting threads and stopping a debate taking its natural course. Its a tough one to deal with.

I meant to ask about this previously - would a few clicks of the advertising banners every time we're on here help the situation?

Doesnt matter what the topic is in the post, people will always take over talking $hit. Click any thread with more than a few pages and 25e will be posting $hit or 101 will be the master 'debater that has nothing relevant to the original post.

Jamie - how much does it cost to moderate this site? Can I request a new facelift, Im fed up with the grey-blues.

They could be one in the same*

* alledgedly.

I meant to ask about this previously - would a few clicks of the advertising banners every time we're on here help the situation?

Google adsense ads are pay-per-click, so to the best of my knowledge, yes, giving the google ads a few clicks now and then would add some coins to the coffers. Of course, I have AdBlock Plus on Firefox, so I don't see them... :neutral:

...If I can help Jamie just call. I can sense the frustrations and it would be a real shame if such a vital forum for debate was to get de-railed.

The money side of things isn't of any concern. Apart from the occasional big outlay, the site doesn't really cost me much to run anymore. It costs me more time than money. However, sometimes things get unbelievably childish on here and I end up being the teacher that all the kids run to when they are squabbling. That's when it doesn't seem worthwhile.

The forum has gone downhill since certain posters have joined. Unfortunately some seem to live their life through the internet, due to the fact they obviously have no real life of their own.

I gave up looking at Chit Chat a while back when it started to turn into a cheap dating/flirting site for people that have too much time on their hands/ an area for someone to continually try to wind people up and fish.

Now it's appearing in Saints Chat and spoiling the site for most I would assume, not too mention slagging my team. (Note- This does not include infrequent posters that support other clubs that like to come on before we play their team, etc)

Life is all about opinions and aslong as someone has the clubs interests at heart, I'll debate any point with them. It those that have no interest in doing anything but winding people up I can't stand.

I'd assume many use the ignore function, but when others quote them it defeats the purpose. As the old sayng goes "It's usually a small crowd that spoils things for the majority."

The forum has gone downhill since certain posters have joined. Unfortunately some seem to live their life through the internet, due to the fact they obviously have no real life of their own.

I gave up looking at Chit Chat a while back when it started to turn into a cheap dating/flirting site for people that have too much time on their hands/ an area for someone to continually try to wind people up and fish.

Now it's appearing in Saints Chat and spoiling the site for most I would assume, not too mention slagging my team. (Note- This does not include infrequent posters that support other clubs that like to come on before we play their team, etc)

Life is all about opinions and aslong as someone has the clubs interests at heart, I'll debate any point with them. It those that have no interest in doing anything but winding people up I can't stand.

I'd assume many use the ignore function, but when others quote them it defeats the purpose. As the old sayng goes "It's usually a small crowd that spoils things for the majority."

Who are these certain posters that you speak of, go on , name and shame IF you have los testicelos!

Who would have thought that this thread would have gone the way it has eh ? The OP brought up the serious point that the forum has lost a good bit of the shine and respect that it once held only to watch the discussion be hijacked and then desend into a slagging match within 4 pages. That first post can now be viewed as a Nostradamus like prediction of the future.

My view point on the current quality of the forum is that it's evolved in the same way as say a favorite old pub from my youth. When I first started attending that pub it was full to the brim with interesting people from different walks of life who all held different view points on a wide range of subjects but all had the common bond of liking the atmosphere within that establishment. Gathered at the bar of that pub were the regulars who occupied the same seats on every visit, in the corner sat the wise old sage, near the juke box stood the resident know it all, in the beer garden the wiff of spliff filled the air and behind the bar stood mixture of wasted musical talent & dedicated under achievers. Not the perfect place to take your aged granny for a coffee but a place where most of the people inside got along and forgave others short comings with little more than a light hearted ribbing. Not the most up to date or well run esablishment but one where the management style was accepted as that of the management themselves, who after all were the very people who provided the service that the customers on the whole liked. These are my memories of the Twa Tams.

Life moved on and so did I. I returned to the Tams every now and then and noticed all the thing I held so dear slowly change. The regulars who had once gathered at the bar were now gathering at the maternity wing, the old sage had been cremated, the know it all had sussed out he didn't, the beer garden had been turned into an outdoor tanning salon and the bar staff were now wearing soul destroying logoed uniforms. The whole place had been atmosphericaly cleansed and no longer held any interest to me.

The Tams is still alive and going strong by the look of things but it's just not what it used to be. New faces now hold centre stage without a passing thought for the past masters. Those past masters are now to be found occasionally in the corners of other pubs, reminiscing about the good old days but only very rarely dipping in at Scott street for a quick pint and spending the entire time they are in there looking around and saying to themselves 'This place just ain't what it was'.

Good post. I fair enjoyed that.

Such is life, eh.

Thanks darlin'

care to back that up with any reasons

And its me " for one" who are your other choices?

If nothing else, I admire you for being honest, others dont have the bollox!

Dont you get it ?? most people either dont read your posts or dont reply.........

i merely humour you sweetie as i think at times you can be quite amusing :wink:(for a hibby)

Dont you get it ?? most people either dont read your posts or dont reply.........

i merely humour you sweetie as i think at times you can be quite amusing :wink:(for a hibby)

And YOU " sweetie" fall into the catagory of " BLAWHARD"

My good mate Bev Callard was right about you.

All mooth and troosers! ( and the occassional daft picture )