Go Canucks Go

Moray Blue

Okay, not exactly football but I'm here in Vancouver at the moment and the local hockey team are currently playing in the Western Conference play-off final series (lead 2-1 in best of 7).

It's amazing to see basically a whole city getting behind their team; buses have the message 'GO CANUCKS GO' flashing on their destination board, cars have flags flying from windows, every other person seems to have a Canucks shirt of some description on. There are posters in a lot of windows, business and domestic.

All this got me thinking that there is nowhere in Scottish football that would get this sort of response which is kind of sad given that most teams are from fairly small local areas and not the huge city that Vancouver is.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, not exactly football but I'm here in Vancouver at the moment and the local hockey team are currently playing in the Western Conference play-off final series (lead 2-1 in best of 7).

It's amazing to see basically a whole city getting behind their team; buses have the message 'GO CANUCKS GO' flashing on their destination board, cars have flags flying from windows, every other person seems to have a Canucks shirt of some description on. There are posters in a lot of windows, business and domestic.

All this got me thinking that there is nowhere in Scottish football that would get this sort of response which is kind of sad given that most teams are from fairly small local areas and not the huge city that Vancouver is.

Welcome to Vancouver. Hope you have a great visit to West Coast Canada. How long are you here for? Please get in touch if you fancy meeting up for a pint and some "Saintee chat".

Cheers Willie. We're now over on Vancouver Island, before heading back to the mainland next week and heading up to Calgary via the Okanagen.

Hey moray i am in calgary ! if you fancy a meet up let me know.

Cant beleive how they all get behind the canucks here in calgary, even though the flames are out they get right behind the other canadian teams, its great it the local ale houses when the games are on they go MENTAL when they score.

I think the final is here in the saddle dome.

The two previous times Canada has hosted an Olympic games the host city's team has won the Stanley Cup the year after.

Montreal hosted the summer games in 76, the Canadiens won in 77.

Calgary hosted the winter games in 88, the Flames win in 89

Vancouver hosted the winter games in 2010...

OK 1-0 the canucks next game sat night at home.

Cant get used to this possible 7 game final, but hay ho they love it here and i must admit it is rather exciting.

May head along to the boozer for a locals view of this ice hockey craze.

Even though most patrons will be stoned and not pissed......:shock:

Pint o traditional please man. vancouver 1 boston 0

Lived in Vancouver for a year, fantastic place. The atmosphere surrounding the Canucks was superb.

Dare say the absence of anything like the cancerous Old Firm pish we have to endure only helps to facilitate the generation of such an atmosphere.

Are these Stanley Cup games available to watch in the UK anywhere?

Pretty sure they're live on ESPN or ESPN America at stupid o'clock at night, although they tend to show re-runs the next day as well.

......just checked, I'm correct. As I type last night's game is currently being shown on ESPN America.

Lived in Vancouver for a year, fantastic place. The atmosphere surrounding the Canucks was superb.

Dare say the absence of anything like the cancerous Old Firm pish we have to endure only helps to facilitate the generation of such an atmosphere.

Visited last year and stayed in a hotel beside the two stadiums had a few beers in Jimmys bar 200 yards from the canucks .

In the day Perth Panthers used to get bigger crowds than the saints

And the loudest supporters were Johnny Patullo, Charlie MacF. and the skipper Ernie (can't remember his last name). A bunch of the Saints players used to show up at games, particularly, for some reason, when we were playing the Fife Flyers.

Smudge

And the loudest supporters were Johnny Patullo, Charlie MacF. and the skipper Ernie (can't remember his last name). A bunch of the Saints players used to show up at games, particularly, for some reason, when we were playing the Fife Flyers.

Smudge

Ernie Ewan

I'm a Flames fans, probably because I ended up in Calgary, but I really hope the Bruins win the cup. I work in the sports field and I just find that most Canucks fans are bandwagon jumpers! Even watching the games you don't really get the excitement from the stands. Sure it would be nice for a Canadian team to win but please not the Canucks and the sisters!

In the day Perth Panthers used to get bigger crowds than the saints

You're absolutely right. Back in the 1950's [before floodlights] Saints' winter games at Muirton Park kicked off at around 2pm which gave you time to head home for your tea and then back up to the Ice Rink [next door to Muirton] for the Panthers' matches. Unfortunately, the formation of a British Ice Hockey league plus the growing attraction of curling eventually saw the demise of Perth Panthers. At their peak, they brought over fantastic players from Canada such as Ken Doig, Yves Cren, Mike Mazur. Do any of you remember the other Scottish teams? I can think of Dundee Tigers, Fife Flyers, Ayr Raiders, Edinburgh Royals, Paisley Pirates.