Public sector strike

i'm old greg

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will we notice they`re on strike.Feck the lot of them.

Maybe not and it will likely be played down in the news, but if everyone who is effected by the changes was to strike then I'm damn sure you would notice. In fact given that public sector workers essentially hold the civil day to day workings of the country together, a one day strike would cause national chaos, the whole place would come to a complete stand still and it would take some time to get back to normal.

It would never be allowed to happen because it is illegal for certain elements of the public sector to strike, but imagine all the things you wouldn't have.

I work in the private sector, get paid way less than a council workers do in Perth, work 9-6 and cannot take fexi days like all the people who I know that work for PKC do. I get no contribution to my pension and my pay has been frozen for the last 5 years (and for 2 of those I was on 15% reduction to keep my job)

So if those who are unhappy want to move on I would quite happily take one of the posts at Perth and Kinross council.

I am sick of hearing the moans from Public sector workers every week on question time, why should they not be effected by the cuts like everyone else in society.

Some of them do, do a great job but if they keep this up the support they have from the private sector workers will dwindle away.

Agree 100% with that mate. Public sector never had it so good.

I work in the private sector, get paid way less than a council workers do in Perth, work 9-6 and cannot take fexi days like all the people who I know that work for PKC do. I get no contribution to my pension and my pay has been frozen for the last 5 years (and for 2 of those I was on 15% reduction to keep my job)

So if those who are unhappy want to move on I would quite happily take one of the posts at Perth and Kinross council.

I am sick of hearing the moans from Public sector workers every week on question time, why should they not be effected by the cuts like everyone else in society.

Some of them do, do a great job but if they keep this up the support they have from the private sector workers will dwindle away.

How can you seriously say public sector workers are not affected by the cuts? They are affected the same way as everyone else. How can any employer change the re-numeration package 20 or 40 years into a contract? It is theft. The economy requires a fit, healthy and educated population, (or we have nothing) so the fat-cats should be taxed to pay for it, it has nothing to do with workers in the private sector 'paying' for Public sector pensions that is a total red herring. Private sector workers have been shafted by the postindustrial economy being union free, that is the problem, Thatcher cut the head of organised labour, only the public sector has retained union principles, and will stand up to the latest Tory attack on conditions of ordinary people. How else do you address the grievance? No one wants to strike a month before Xmas, head teachers have never been on strike, does that not tell you there is no options left? Don't listen to this 'we're all in this together' bollocks..executive pay up 49% this year, AGAIN! time for a Robin Hood tax!

Rant over!

How can you seriously say public sector workers are not affected by the cuts? They are affected the same way as everyone else. How can any employer change the re-numeration package 20 or 40 years into a contract? It is theft. The economy requires a fit, healthy and educated population, (or we have nothing) so the fat-cats should be taxed to pay for it, it has nothing to do with workers in the private sector 'paying' for Public sector pensions that is a total red herring. Private sector workers have been shafted by the postindustrial economy being union free, that is the problem, Thatcher cut the head of organised labour, only the public sector has retained union principles, and will stand up to the latest Tory attack on conditions of ordinary people. How else do you address the grievance? No one wants to strike a month before Xmas, head teachers have never been on strike, does that not tell you there is no options left? Don't listen to this 'we're all in this together' bollocks..executive pay up 49% this year, AGAIN! time for a Robin Hood tax!

Rant over!

Right on Brother, they want it all ways, but for us to pay at every turn, If we dont stand up now we are finished.

Public sector never had it so good.

These are the idiotic words of the brainwashed. There are many like you. Leaf through any working man's paper - owned by multi-millionaires - and you'll find the editorial telling working people that they are wrong to fight for themselves.

The whole public sector versus private sector argument is a Tory creation to undermine support for trade unions, the only group of people still able to resist their ideologically driven cuts regime. The Tories are desperate for these strikes to go ahead.

I'm in the private sector. I am sometimes envious of the conditions some public sector friends and family have but as others have stated, generally it's swings and roundabouts. If I really wanted those specific terms, I'd apply for one of the jobs.

It is public sector unions being able to take strike action such as this that has retained their conditions so far. They have my support.

'I won't be on strike cause I am not a union member.'

Don't worry Mainstand, I'll strike, even though I have 3 kids and is a month before Xmas, I'll stick my neck out and get black marks with the bosses, and possibly cost myself a promotion, I'll pay my union dues every week to help improve your pay, conditions and protect your pension, just you.... er.... what will you do?

These are the idiotic words of the brainwashed. There are many like you. Leaf through any working man's paper - owned by multi-millionaires - and you'll find the editorial telling working people that they are wrong to fight for themselves.

The whole public sector versus private sector argument is a Tory creation to undermine support for trade unions, the only group of people still able to resist their ideologically driven cuts regime. The Tories are desperate for these strikes to go ahead.

I'm in the private sector. I am sometimes envious of the conditions some public sector friends and family have but as others have stated, generally it's swings and roundabouts. If I really wanted those specific terms, I'd apply for one of the jobs.

It is public sector unions being able to take strike action such as this that has retained their conditions so far. They have my support.

Yes there are many like me. I'm a working man and definitely not a Tory. No-one has brainwashed me and I'm no idiot. The notion that trade unions are there to represent the interests of their members is risible and if you believe that you should have your medication reviewed and adjusted. The whole public sector in this country is in denial if it thinks it can continue sucking on the taxpayer's teat while there are fewer and fewer of us in work paying more and more taxes to pay for benefits like final salary pensions that we in the private sector can only dream about now.

since when "the working class'',have no intelligence? another Tory educated priviliged people with qualifications propaganda, bull shit. the most thickest of the thickest can see clearly why we are in this situation...EDUCATION=SUCCESS=GREED=iIMPUNITY

AND JOE BLOGGS WHO CLIMBS HIS LADDER TO PUT OUT THE FIRE SETTLES THE BILL

Don't worry Mainstand, I'll strike, even though I have 3 kids and is a month before Xmas, I'll stick my neck out and get black marks with the bosses, and possibly cost myself a promotion, I'll pay my union dues every week to help improve your pay, conditions and protect your pension, just you.... er.... what will you do?

Sorry but are you really having a go at him because he is not in a Union? Seriously? The freedom to chose is central to being in a Union!

I fully support those who have been in the public sector pensions for years and just as their endgame is in sight are finding out that they will not have as good a deal as they expected.

I do however think that those the new conditions should apply to those who are just joining the Pension scheme or those who have the opportunity to withdraw the full amount and move it elsewhere.

There is no easy solution to the situation the country is in. A Robin Hood tax would only work if all the main Financial Centers were to sign up to it and this is not happening. All that would happen is that these organisations would relocate elsewhere that suits them better, taking billions out of the Economy.

Real facts... We have a service / finance based economy... to change from that would take the political will that will never be seen in this country and too many years of "pain" for the public at large to accept... and lets face it,the public in general are pretty apathetic.

Edited by The Neutral

Cheers thats very kind of you. It is a free country we live in, You can't have the right to be a union member and to strike but then slag off someone who is not a union member.

OTT with the stuff about costing you promotion etc.

WHat will I do? ehm continue working.

Edited by mainstand

since when "the working class'',have no intelligence? another Tory educated priviliged people with qualifications propaganda, bull shit. the most thickest of the thickest can see clearly why we are in this situation...EDUCATION=SUCCESS=GREED=iIMPUNITY

AND JOE BLOGGS WHO CLIMBS HIS LADDER TO PUT OUT THE FIRE SETTLES THE BILL

It's the public service employed fire brigade that climbs the ladder to put out fires and their pension will likely be being effected too. If they strike you may well have to put out the fire.

It's the public service employed fire brigade that climbs the ladder to put out fires and their pension will likely be being effected too. If they strike you may well have to put out the fire.

if i have to,i will do...usually do count upon myself to get out of a strut!

anyway,dont have no beef with the emergency services...white collars pushing their pen;maybe?

the argument must be, "why is there no funds available and who got us in this mess in the first place..UK,FRANCE,U.S.A...+ the rest,its the same all over