Encks or Mannus

The ghost of Jim Morton

Who should get the nod between the sticks in our next game??  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm a Shamrock Rovers fan and I'm delighted that Mannus finally got his chance with St Johnstone. I reckoned he'd have to be patient given Enkelman's pedigree, but hopefully Big Al can keep up his good start.

We had him at Rovers for almost 3 seasons and when he first came in, he took the place of fans' favourite Barry Murphy, but Mannus won a very demanding set of fans over very quickly and we were gutted to lose him last Summer, so I think Mannus will be very hard to dislodge now that he's got in. I wish him well and I wish your club well for the rest of the season and I'll continue to monitor Big Al's performances, he's a top man.

Hi all, I'm a Shamrock Rovers fan and I'm delighted that Mannus finally got his chance with St Johnstone. I reckoned he'd have to be patient given Enkelman's pedigree, but hopefully Big Al can keep up his good start.

We had him at Rovers for almost 3 seasons and when he first came in, he took the place of fans' favourite Barry Murphy, but Mannus won a very demanding set of fans over very quickly and we were gutted to lose him last Summer, so I think Mannus will be very hard to dislodge now that he's got in. I wish him well and I wish your club well for the rest of the season and I'll continue to monitor Big Al's performances, he's a top man.

I, for one, am very confident when Mannus is between the sticks. Okay, there is nothing flamboyant about him, but he is solid, and as Invernessaint refers to, the defence look like they have gelled as a unit with him.

Hopefully he will extend his contract and stay next season, which I think he will - European football hopefully will be a draw. I also think he needs to show consistency over the course of a full season with us before he thinks about another possible move to the Championship or such-like.

I, for one, am very confident when Mannus is between the sticks. Okay, there is nothing flamboyant about him, but he is solid, and as Invernessaint refers to, the defence look like they have gelled as a unit with him.

Hopefully he will extend his contract and stay next season, which I think he will - European football hopefully will be a draw. I also think he needs to show consistency over the course of a full season with us before he thinks about another possible move to the Championship or such-like.

Correct Edstar, nothing flamboyant about him but he was rock-solid while at Rovers after a shaky start. Played in the Champo League Preliminaries this season back in July (2 clean sheets against Flora Tallinn, the away game was his last game for Rovers and he saved a pen in the home leg). His temperament is superb and like you I hope he renews his contract and shows you his full quality for a whole season. I'll be surprised if he lets you down.

Has looked solid and one big thing he has over Enk is that he talks to the defence. I like the way he waited his chance and even although Enk had a couple of howlers we heard nothing but support from Mannus.

I don't think people are giving Frazer Wright enough credit regarding the defence. Enks starting looking dodgy when Wright got injured. Mannus has done fine, wouldn't say one was better than the other.

Mannus is better at commanding his area while Enks distribution is better IMO

I know what I prefer in my keeper.

Who needs the latter when you have Anderson pinging 70 yard passes about these days?

Yip, these areas are not comparible on an equal basis...he could punt the ball out the park all the time for all I care, as long as he commands his box and looks secure at cross balls and set pieces

I don't think people are giving Frazer Wright enough credit regarding the defence. Enks starting looking dodgy when Wright got injured. Mannus has done fine, wouldn't say one was better than the other.

Correct.

Mannus has looked ok since he came in but hasn't really been tested yet. Put it this way, he's not won us any points in my opinion but I've been happy with what he has done so far. Enckleman went through a spell this season (and last) whereby he was pulling off wonder saves to keep clean sheets. We'd have been struggling last season without him having scored only 24 goals all season. He was rightly dropped this season but the defence were also all over the place and as mentioned Wright has calmed that down signifcantly.

Those saying Mannus commands his box well and talks to the defence obviously were not at St Mirren where he flapped at a couple of crosses and at one stage Callum Davidson headed it out of his hands because he never shouted. He also dropped a couple of simple shots. I'm not saying he's bad at cross balls, he's certainly got a bit more presence then Encks, but as we all should know at this level neither is going to come and take every single cross ball.

Correct.

Mannus has looked ok since he came in but hasn't really been tested yet. Put it this way, he's not won us any points in my opinion but I've been happy with what he has done so far. Enckleman went through a spell this season (and last) whereby he was pulling off wonder saves to keep clean sheets. We'd have been struggling last season without him having scored only 24 goals all season. He was rightly dropped this season but the defence were also all over the place and as mentioned Wright has calmed that down signifcantly.

Those saying Mannus commands his box well and talks to the defence obviously were not at St Mirren where he flapped at a couple of crosses and at one stage Callum Davidson headed it out of his hands because he never shouted. He also dropped a couple of simple shots. I'm not saying he's bad at cross balls, he's certainly got a bit more presence then Encks, but as we all should know at this level neither is going to come and take every single cross ball.

He didnt drop the shots he knocked them down because they were swerving and he wanted to know exactly where they were rather than catch them and spill them

He didnt drop the shots he knocked them down because they were swerving and he wanted to know exactly where they were rather than catch them and spill them

If your going to do that you don't 'knock them down' in front of goal.

Put it bluntly, if Encks had a performance like Mannus on Saturday he'd be getting pelters for it.

As it happens I was happy enough with how Mannus played. As long as he keeps them out and his mistakes don't cost us then I don't care who plays in goals as every keeper at this level makes mistakes.

I think if you go back a few pages Ryan you'll see someone mentioning Wright coming back into the defence making a big difference!

In his first few games I thought Mannus' distribution was excellent. Almost every dead ball was right onto Haber or Sheridan's head. The last few games it's not been as good though.

I'm certainly not saying that suddenly Encks is shite, and, rightly so, people are recognising the contribution he has made to this season.

I'm just more comfortable with Mannus in goal and I reckon we got lucky with signing him

Not seen many if any say Enks is shite. I prefer Mannus too though I would not be unhappy if Enks had to came back in.

Yip, these areas are not comparible on an equal basis...he could punt the ball out the park all the time for all I care, as long as he commands his box and looks secure at cross balls and set pieces

If you want to be picky, on what I've seen so far I'd say enks reaction saves are far better as is his handling in all but cross ball situation. Mannus spilled a few shots last week that Enks would have held onto.

A better side would have punished us