Fran Sandaza, an appreciation..

It's happend. If we need to beat Rangers on the last day of the season to get into Europe would I want Fran in the side? Yes - even if I do think he's behaved poorly. I guess we just have to accept what's happened and hope the other Strikers can step up to the plate over the next 3 games. We really need at least 4 points in these games.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Harry Curran's Love child

On a side note, do you think Fran and Mr Jagger may be happy that he's unlikely to kick a ball again this season and risk injury and jeapordise his move to a "bigger club"?

Can't actually believe Dave McKay's conduct is now being questioned. I put it to you that Fran's mood swings, disrespecting of team mates and petulance have been brought up in the dressing room many times and then he goes and does something like that on Saturday. What would you do as a last resort to try and get through to him?

Dave McKay 1 Francisco Sandaza 0

I can see no issues with what Mackay has done. Like you say HCLC, this may well be the tip of an iceberg and we have no idea the way in which the interview was conducted or how Dave put his answers across.

I very much doubt he phoned the paper and was ranting down the phone to them about Fran. He was probably asked what he thought of Fran's behaviour and gave an honest answer

I think you are spot on here Neil.

Does Fran have an inflated opinion of himself ?- without a doubt most strikers and pro footballers do! Does he care about Saints and his team mates? - unquestionably, that's why his frustration boiled over. I though he behaved with no little swagger over the Rangers saga and provided us all with a laugh, how many SPL players have so publicly given 2's up to the Bears, and exposed them for their derisory approach to business? Maybe the whole thing took its toll on his form though.

He will no doubt be the highest paid player at Saints, and I thought at the time it was a signing of real ambition, and a coup for your manager and chairman - and it HAS PAID OFF! There are a few twists and turns yet this season, we had to win yesterday, not so sure Saturday will be fatal for your chances.

I hope he stays, he is a genuine cult hero, and part of being a cult hero is a bit of baggage. With most of the SPL still hamstrung by debt and Saints reaping the rewards of years of Brown's frugality, he might just stay for another year...it would be a sin if a petulant kick during such an important match was his last contribution as a Saints player. Players like this do not come around often, nor do seasons like the one Saints are having, and there is every chance you will have a Euro spot as reward...I defy anyone to deny Fran was not a major influence in delivering this.

Excellent post.

Some angels on here polishing their halos.

Mackay is well out of order for running to the press. It should be sorted in house not greeting to the papers.

Excellent post.

Some angels on here polishing their halos.

Mackay is well out of order for running to the press. It should be sorted in house not greeting to the papers.

As I have said in post above yours, I very much doubt Dave went 'running and greeting' to the papers and am surprised that you would think that is what he did John.

For all that Fran has been, stand him shoulder to shoulder with Mackay and ask me to pick one of them.....there would be NO contest

As I have said in post above yours, I very much doubt Dave went 'running and greeting' to the papers and am surprised that you would think that is what he did John.

For all that Fran has been, stand him shoulder to shoulder with Mackay and ask me to pick one of them.....there would be NO contest

It wouldnt have been difficult to say, thats something we will sort ourselves. I cant believe that a player with his years in the game didnt realise that this is what would happen with his quotes. He has taken a single incident that should haven sorted inhouse and kept there and made it look like Fran is isolated and that is good for no one.

And no before anyone suggests it I dont condone Fran's behaviour on Saturday

It wouldnt have been difficult to say, thats something we will sort ourselves. I cant believe that a player with his years in the game didnt realise that this is what would happen with his quotes. He has taken a single incident that should haven sorted inhouse and kept there and made it look like Fran is isolated and that is good for no one.

And no before anyone suggests it I dont condone Fran's behaviour on Saturday

Is this 'single incident' the straw that broke the camels back though, to coin a phrase

Agreed, Jamie & Dave were trying to avoid him getting a second red & the guy could not realise it. He knew he was getting subbed so that probably didn`t help his mood. I don`t think he gave a second thought to the team or the result.

Dave v Fran no contest. A team of Dave McKays, yes. After Saturday I would not be concerned about not seeing Fran again even if he is the best forward we have had since John Connolly.

Dave McKay did exactly what he needed to do for Fran's sake. Fran has no intention of staying with us so McKay had a great oppurtunity to try and get it into his head that if he has ambitions of going on to bigger things then the playground antics need to stop. Dave knows Fran isn't staying so giving an unusually open and honest summary in the press of how he sees it is not going to harm morale in the dressing room for our vital remaining games. In fact, it may do just the opposite. Jamie Adams tried to do Fran a favour on Satuday by dragging him away from the situation but look how that turned out. Let's just hope that Fran reacts in a different way to Super Dave's effort of trying to get through to him.

Dave McKay did exactly what he needed to do for Fran's sake. Fran has no intention of staying with us so McKay had a great oppurtunity to try and get it into his head that if he has ambitions of going on to bigger things then the playground antics need to stop. Dave knows Fran isn't staying so giving an unusually open and honest summary in the press of how he sees it is not going to harm morale in the dressing room for our vital remaining games. In fact, it may do just the opposite. Jamie Adams tried to do Fran a favour on Satuday by dragging him away from the situation but look how that turned out. Let's just hope that Fran reacts in a different way to Super Dave's effort of trying to get through to him.

If it was me I would be wondering if at any point Dave Mackay would go to the press if upset with me.

Just read McKay's comments in the Courier. Fran has mitigating circumstances for whatever he did i.e. it was on the field of play with his adrenaline pumping, , McKay? looks like a calculated, public attack on a team mate........ Oh dear..........what a shytebag!

You can **** right off with that...I am pretty sure Fran was left in no doubt, face to face, with what Mackay felt

Just read McKay's comments in the Courier. Fran has mitigating circumstances for whatever he did i.e. it was on the field of play with his adrenaline pumping, , McKay? looks like a calculated, public attack on a team mate........ Oh dear..........what a shytebag!

I think you'll find that not one of his team mates (Sandaza aside) will have a problem with what he said and how we delivered it.

You can **** right off with that...I am pretty sure Fran was left in no doubt, face to face, with what Mackay felt

If it was sorted face to face there would be no need for trial by media.

''He is a bit of a sulky character round about the place as well" dear oh dear, that's nasty, personal and not for the press!

Edited by Smarmy Arab

If it was me I would be wondering if at any point Dave Mackay would go to the press if upset with me.

I'd be wondering that if I ever step severely out of line and let down my team so badly in such an important game then I will be in for an absolute roasting. A potentially public one.

Fran wasn't slow in letting everyone know that he would welcome the move to Rangers. Maybe that should have been kept in house as well?

I'd be wondering that if I ever step severely out of line and let down my team so badly in such an important game then I will be in for an absolute roasting. A potentially public one.

Fran wasn't slow in letting everyone know that he would welcome the move to Rangers. Maybe that should have been kept in house as well?

Good management says praise in public punish in private.

Yes Sandaza's thoughts around the transfer should have been kept private

If you are trying to justify Fran's behaviour by saying he was pumped with adrenaline then perhaps McKay was the same when, in the dressing room, with players having a go at Fran, he still refused to apologise for what he did. Would make you kinda angry eh? Red mist etc.

Good management says praise in public punish in private.

Yes Sandaza's thoughts around the transfer should have been kept private

How much higher can Lomas praise Fran in public??!! :shock:

Lomas has been singing from the rooftops about how loved up he his with Fran and look how Fran repays him!