New Fans - Missed Opportunity

Watty

Why are Saints not pro-active in trying to recruit new supporters, to my knowledge the best part of 3000 easterns europeans have moved into Perthshire recently, and more coming by the week as i'm sure anyone who ventures near to Lidl's will tell you.

Now out of that lot there must be some, poss quite alot, who are into their football. My proposal would be to get some leaflets made up in their native tongue, Polish more than likely, and get them distributed amongst them. There is some Polish interest in Scottish football already with 2 of their biggest stars, Zurawski and Boruc, playing for the tic.

I don't know how productive this exercise would be, but it sure as hell would not be expensive to undertake, even if they were offered some free tickets or reduced entry for a match (wouldn't be a loss made on this because they would not be at the macth anyway). Even if we managed to capture 10 new supporters through doing this it would be worthwhile.

Anyone opinions or thoughts on this??

I reckon Saints need to start being a little bit more clever in their off field activities, i know this has been said for many a year, but there have prob been many missed opportunities this is only one that sprung to mind of late.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite agree Watty, and that is a brilliant idea by the way :wink:

There are also Lithuanians and Russians as well as a smattering of French and Dutch. Happy to help you out with this one, got online translators set up that can do this type of thing as well.

At my work we have a lot of Polish, Czech & Slovakian workers, probably more foreigners than British now, and I have asked a few of them if they are interested in football and some are. I have suggested they come to a game with me and at first they agree but after I tell them its £16 to get in they just laugh and say that is half of the family shopping money for a week.

At my work we have a lot of Polish, Czech & Slovakian workers, probably more foreigners than British now, and I have asked a few of them if they are interested in football and some are. I have suggested they come to a game with me and at first they agree but after I tell them its £16 to get in they just laugh and say that is half of the family shopping money for a week.

That is a very fair point Andy, maybe a cut price scheme for them or something, but then i suppose this seems discrimanatory towards everyone else. A possible stumbling block to my bright idea :?

Show a Polish passport and get in for half price ain't exactly gonnae go down well with Perth Joe Public is it?

1883694-Football-Warsaw.jpg

the equivelent of £4.20 for a first team game at legia warsaw's Dziesieciolecia Stadium which holds 71,500, boy am i bored today

1883694-Football-Warsaw.jpg

the equivelent of £4.20 for a first team game at legia warsaw's Dziesieciolecia Stadium which holds 71,500, boy am i bored today

Looks pretty grim there though, i mean for a mere £11.80 more they will get first class facilities and be able to watch a World Cup star strut his stuff :?

so if you thought about saving up for xmas eve to get your new saints home strip on its release day you have got other things coming

Add 26 quid for the new home shirt (to be released mid August) and you've got a whopper of a month in following the Saints, thats without trailing down to Dumfries this Saturday!!

That is a very fair point Andy, maybe a cut price scheme for them or something, but then i suppose this seems discrimanatory towards everyone else. A possible stumbling block to my bright idea :?

Show a Polish passport and get in for half price ain't exactly gonnae go down well with Perth Joe Public is it?

Not sure if its just me or not but I wouldn't really care as long as more folk went to the games. Maybe do a one off 25% discount season ticket for the first season if your a new national to Scotland. I would be happy for them to do that for sure.

Not sure if its just me or not but I wouldn't really care as long as more folk went to the games. Maybe do a one off 25% discount season ticket for the first season if your a new national to Scotland. I would be happy for them to do that for sure.

Sign a couple of Poles like we were gonnae do last season...might make more sense than it seems.

I think the real missed opportunity is/was the influx of people into the town when it expanded in the mid-to-late nineties. We had a decent team, not too expensive to get in, nice stadium etc... but didn't seem to take advantage of the rising population in the town. The club should have (and still should) targetted schools - free tickets a couple of times a year, players turning up to help at PE, sponsor some things at the school (the football team, a magazine, the yearbook) and most importantly when they do anything - ADVERTISE IT.

Every year people moan that Saints don't do anything in the community and every year we're told that they do things we don't hear about - the solution to that is obvious - if you're sending players to the Academy for an afternoon take the PA with you so they can fit you in between pictures of kids in old firm strips.

I think Watty has a good idea in targetting the recent imigrants to the area but as others day it's too expensive for most of them (especially if they are sending money back home). Unfortunately we're not going to drop our prices (always thinking short term) so we have to target people who can afford to come regularly.

Unfortunately we're not going to drop our prices (always thinking short term) so we have to target people who can afford to come regularly.

Apart from your (and others in the past) idea regarding schools who else can they target who can afford to come regularly?? Where is the current recruiting ground for Saints fans??

Your point regarding what they should've done in the nineties is a valid one, but we cannae turn the clock back, so no much point spending much time dwelling on it too much.

Over the last couple of seasons they gave away free tickets at the fun day for the first game of the season. We did get a good crowd but what did Saints do but play negative football & non of them came back. I am sure that is what would probably happen with the freebie Poles. Anyway they probably wouldn`t get time off from their 12 hour days.