Dull

Dull is just outside Aberfeldy, a short distance from Weem. Used to cycle out that way to visit school friends when I livedin Aberfeldy.

As for the raft race that stopped quite a while ago due to too much trouble etc. Best raft race days were at the very begining when Coshieville Hotel & Ailean Chraggan ran it.There was an open air disco/bar/barbeque held in a field down near Grandtully Castle, then it moved to a quarry on the back road from Kenmore. Brilliant times & nothing Dull in those days !!:D

Dull is just outside Aberfeldy, a short distance from Weem. Used to cycle out that way to visit school friends when I livedin Aberfeldy.

As for the raft race that stopped quite a while ago due to too much trouble etc. Best raft race days were at the very begining when Coshieville Hotel & Ailean Chraggan ran it.There was an open air disco/bar/barbeque held in a field down near Grandtully Castle, then it moved to a quarry on the back road from Kenmore. Brilliant times & nothing Dull in those days !!:D

At the beginning the raft race was a great thing but it kinda outgrew itself and what was a fun challenge amongst the locals became a competitive event with lots of visitors.At first the visitors brought much needed cash for local busineses but eventually the hassle,fighting ,drugs etc.outweighed the benefits. Shame really as it was agreat day.

Had some great times at the raft race,but as already stated too much trouble brought that to a stop,i remember the last 2 or 3 years of the event was just a free for all for battles,when you have a mix of youths from Perth,Dundee,Forfar,Montrose etc etc all drinking in such a small area it was always a powder keg waiting to go off and thats not adding the added tension with the bikers who always went there too.Was anyone there the year of the malibu promotion weekend,radio tay were on the green,there was girls walking about the street with trays of malibu and coke handing them out to everyone,they even gave away malibu whistles and maracas,was one of the best weekends ever.

At the beginning the raft race was a great thing but it kinda outgrew itself and what was a fun challenge amongst the locals became a competitive event with lots of visitors.At first the visitors brought much needed cash for local busineses but eventually the hassle,fighting ,drugs etc.outweighed the benefits. Shame really as it was agreat day.

Had some great times at the raft race,but as already stated too much trouble brought that to a stop,i remember the last 2 or 3 years of the event was just a free for all for battles,when you have a mix of youths from Perth,Dundee,Forfar,Montrose etc etc all drinking in such a small area it was always a powder keg waiting to go off and thats not adding the added tension with the bikers who always went there too.Was anyone there the year of the malibu promotion weekend,radio tay were on the green,there was girls walking about the street with trays of malibu and coke handing them out to everyone,they even gave away malibu whistles and maracas,was one of the best weekends ever.

Me and my mates used to go camping up there and swim in the river before the race started. Was easily 20+ years ago though...long before Malibu girls and the like

Trying to think who broke their arm/ankle ? within an hour of arriving at the camping site on a Fridday night. Anyway taken away to Aberfeldy hospital to get patched up. Think it might have been Rickardo :roll:

We had so much booze on the bus going up we needed to cart it all round in a couple of supermarket trolleys. Must admit, it turned in to a bit of a wild west scene eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
Me and my mates used to go camping up there and swim in the river before the race started. Was easily 20+ years ago though...long before Malibu girls and the like

Although born and bred in Aberfeldy,the first one I went back for was 1980,so it must have started in late 70s.If you are in the Fountain they have a photo of the first one on the wall.

• 1 year later...