Division 3 is good enough for a Scotland call up

Havana Saint

Craig Levein is absolutely clueless at times and this latest stunt proves how daft in incompetent he really is. The old firm bias will never disappear and to call up a very average player who plays in Division 3 is awful. The sooner he disappears the better.

Edited by PerthHibee

If you are on facebook and haven't yet put the Scotland National Team as a "like" then do so. The anger being directed at Levein in the comments on the story about Black being called up are incredible. It really seems like this is the straw that broke the camel's back. Lots of folk saying they will not now go to the game.

I am sure Black is being picked on last seasons form and in answer to the original question the answer would appear to be if you play for the correct club then yes.

As to Fletcher I fully back Levein in not picking him. 1 goal in 8 games for Scotland is hardly world beating and if he was as good as he thinks he is he would be representing the country of his birth and not Scotland.

When did he say the door was shut on Fletcher? I've only ever heard him say all Fletcher has to do is get in touch but the arrogant prick has yet to do so.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/12/scotland-craig-levein-steven-fletcher

Levein - "But what I'm saying is that I have made the decision. There's no going back on this. That's it, finished. Done."

Fletcher's Scotland goal record isn't great, and the way he has conducted himself about this has been very disappointing. He has improved incredibly as a player since he last featured for Scotland and he is still Scotland's best striker, end of.

Edited by Jiangsu Sainty
Edit - I'm an idiot

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/12/scotland-craig-levein-steven-fletcher

Levein - "But what I'm saying is that I have made the decision. There's no going back on this. That's it, finished. Done."

Never realised he'd said that. Still, I've got no problem with it - Fletcher had his chance to make amends and didn't take it so it was probably about time the door was shut in his face so people wouldn't keep asking the question about whether he will be picked.

And RM, of course Black is being picked on last year's form - I imagine most of the players are seeing as the squad was picked after one Scottish fixture and no English fixtures this season!

how do you feel that the sfa are letting mackay stevens and russell pull out of the under21 squad? clearly because of the derby next week and levein will make sure that nothing is said about it.

have also heard that dundee united are using the sfa chief scout as their own scout despite his salary being paid by the sfa. he watched their new polish keeper and the sfa paid for it.

First up, like the new look! Much needed.

Bev.....you are becoming unhinged with you're hatred of all things United. I watched all three of Utd's matches so far and if you had, it would be no surprise that JR and GMS are injured, they were booted all over the place in each game. As for the new keeper, international managers have access to scouting reports from across the globe so they can do their job, until there is a rule preventing managers from working with Scotland and an SPL team Houstie has done nothing wrong, nor have Utd.

As for the Black call up, IMO big mistake and I'm surprised, and disappointed CL gave in to pressure to include a sevco player. That said, to sack a manager for the inclusion of a particular player, for a friendly fixture, whatever the reason is absurd. As is calling for a managers head for a defensive formation. When will Scottish fans wise up? For yet another year our clubs are passed off the park in European competition, our only notable results in the last decade (and more) have been when we 'park the bus'. Levein tried a formation, (since used by Barcelona and Spain, two of the greatest teams ever to grace the planet) and we lost 1-0 in Prague, and some fans want to sack him? For that? The usual boneheaded nonsense 'play 3 up front', 'get the ba up the ****** park'. Scottish football will not progress till we stop listening such stupidity.

Levein tried a formation, (since used by Barcelona and Spain, two of the greatest teams ever to grace the planet) and we lost 1-0 in Prague, and some fans want to sack him? For that? The usual boneheaded nonsense 'play 3 up front', 'get the ba up the ****** park'. Scottish football will not progress till we stop listening such stupidity.

Just because Barcelona and Spain use a formation does not mean it is suitable for Scotland. Barcelona and Spain can play a 4-6-0 becuase their 6 midfielders are world class and can pass the ball into the net, can press high up the pitch and can retain possession in the oppsition final 3rd. Scotland unfortunately don't have those type of players and need an outball because we're not good enough to hold onto the ball like Spain and Barcelona do. That outball is a striker.

Trying to play like Spain overnight is just folly and he should have been sacked on the spot for being so stupid. It cost us our progression from that group because Czeck Republic were crap.

It cost us our progression from that group because Czeck Republic were crap.

Is that the same Czeck Republic who we could only draw with at home despite playing a much more attacking game?

While it's hard to defend a 4-6-0 formation, I don't believe it cost us a result over there. I reckon we would have been beaten far more convincingly if we had played a more attacking formation.

Is that the same Czeck Republic who we could only draw with at home despite playing a much more attacking game?

While it's hard to defend a 4-6-0 formation, I don't believe it cost us a result over there. I reckon we would have been beaten far more convincingly if we had played a more attacking formation.

You know, for all the hooha surrounding the 4-6-0 formation, I can't help feeling like this too. The truth is, we will never know what might have happened had a different formation been adopted.

Doesn't mean that I don't think Levein is a diddy

Rotten decision by Levein, but not a surprising one. He is a horrendous manager. To this day I have no idea what he has on his CV that caused the SFA to think he was good enough for the job in the first place.

I take it this means that other good players from all three of Scotland's lower leagues will also now be considered for Scotland? Or is this just a special allowance for Sevco? The SFA, and its football team, are a joke.

Just because Barcelona and Spain use a formation does not mean it is suitable for Scotland. Barcelona and Spain can play a 4-6-0 becuase their 6 midfielders are world class and can pass the ball into the net, can press high up the pitch and can retain possession in the oppsition final 3rd. Scotland unfortunately don't have those type of players and need an outball because we're not good enough to hold onto the ball like Spain and Barcelona do. That outball is a striker.

Trying to play like Spain overnight is just folly and he should have been sacked on the spot for being so stupid. It cost us our progression from that group because Czeck Republic were crap.

All reasonable points Broon and up for debate. I would point out that CL did not 'try to play like Spain overnight', he tried a formation that he felt could unsettle the opposition and achieve the desired result. Spain and Barca did the same, (after Scotland), and their coaches are hailed as innovative pragmatists, where as Scottish fans demand Kris effin Boyd 'cos he's a pure dead good goal machine'! 4-6-0, did not embarass Scotland, what embarasses Scotland is when 20,000 fans boo a 21 year old full back (playing one of his first games for his country), passes back from the halfway line to the goal keeper when his team is 1 up with 10 minutes to go! The Scotland fans demanding an aimless punt up the park which will put your defence under pressure....Italians and Germans would laugh their baws off at such fans.

Two weeks ago I watched Utd match Moscow Dynamo toe to toe and get a creditable (if fortuitous) 2-2 draw. Our defence was tight, our midfield industrious and effective, and our forwards skilled and stylish. Then we go to Moscow and play the same formation, and the same tactics.......guess what? We get horsed 5-0. Man United would not have gone there and played 2 up top! Classic Scottish tactical suicide. I would rather have watched 4-6-0 and lost 1-0 than be hammered like that. Levein knows our limitations and he knows that will not change until we start to qualify for tournaments, and learn to compete at that level. It will not be done with expansive football, nor will it be done furnishing his team with hammer throwers from the 4th tier of Scottish football, but to talk about gassing a manager over the selection of one player, in one squad, who will not even play is plain crazy. I am actually quite confident about the upcoming campaign, the big worry being Wales, our success in this qualification section will be determined by our games against the Welsh, and it is a worry.