Is Wayne Rooney Past It?

HOODLUM65

Having seen him in the flesh a few weeks back I can confirm he is still a fantastic player.

I think people's lack of knowledge of the game and the situation he was in (out of position,away to madrid on the same side as a attacking full-back) is the reason people questioned his performance.

As a guy I don't like him, but as a striker in the premiership there is only a couple better than him.

Your comment. " people's lack of knowledge of the game" is quite offensive.

I have watched football for more years than your age and Ryangordans combined.

Seen more great players (before both of you were even thought about) than you will see in your lifetime.

Denise Law, Bobby Charlton, George Best to name but a few.

Rooney, while he HAS been good for Man. U. Would have struggled to get a game, but I digress alas.

Your comment. " people's lack of knowledge of the game" is quite offensive.

I have watched football for more years than your age and Ryangordans combined.

Seen more great players (before both of you were even thought about) than you will see in your lifetime.

Denise Law, Bobby Charlton, George Best to name but a few.

Rooney, while he HAS been good for Man. U. Would have struggled to get a game, but I digress alas.

I'm not going to start "comparing sizes" with you, but I'd suggest it's daft to question how much football myself or any poster has seen and how many great players we've managed to see in the flesh.

Especially in the first half, Kagawa was well in front of Rooney. Are you suggesting Rooney has pace?

Rooney has as much pace as Kagawa, not as much as Welbeck but Welbeck isn't as strong defensively as Rooney. Kagawa is a weaker defensive player than Rooney also

Kagawa certainly has more pace and energy than Rooney

Well no, no he doesn't. Kagawa has nowhere near the "energy levels" of Rooney

Rooney was slow and wanted to play the game at his pace.

So he slowed down the tempo in a high action game away from home. What a horrendous thing to do, Pirlo slowed the game down at Celtic Park and more oftne tha not stunted his own teams counter attacks by passing backwards. Is he a poor player?

At this level unfortunately he is not allowed to do this.

Maybe in the EPL he is allowed this privilege.

The EPL is played at a higher tempo than that game last night, he also plays further forward in the league. Completely different scenarios

How he helped his defence is beyond me, as I've viewed this game 3 times now and contrary to what you say, he has put his team in trouble by his actions or rather lack of action.

Maybe I'm being harsh on him and he just had one of those nights.

I await the return leg and will comment accordingly.

He had a poor game in your eyes because he didn't do anything when he had the ball. The work he done without was good enough to help his team. How many strikers would play well if they were put on the wing and told to help track Ronaldo instead of getting forward?

Footnote. I am not anti Man. U. In fact they are my English team, which was strengthened when Fergie took over.

I remember when he signed for Saints from Queens Park and watched him play.

Oh sorry, you no doubt will have seen more football than me, which will make you better qualified

Maybe the fact you're a supporter of Man U makes you harsher on the players than someone who simply doesn't care about them?

And how old are you... as Ferguson signed in 1960. And by all accounts was a greeting faced **** who wanted away

But was defo poor performance from somebody deemed world class. Somebody paid zillions to change the game and he can't do it.

I agree with your views SS, nowhere on here have I said "ROONEY IS A BAD PLAYER" although by the feedback, I've had on here would indicate otherwise.

Some posts have been constructive, which I've appreciated, while others seem to have allowed their RED BLOOD to reach boiling point.

Some have even gone to the length of posting video evidence of Rooney skills, which I am fully aware of and seen.

For those of you, and you know who you are that posted questions about my accommodation and life style I would expect these comments from a politician avoiding the question that was posed.

Let me give you a reminder of the question. The headline started with the word "IS" and finished with a question mark. Have another look, here is it ( ? ) recognise it now?

Finally, I hope Rooney, if selected puts in a good performance in the game against Reading tonight.

Thank you all. Goodbye and enjoy the game.

Rooney has as much pace as Kagawa, not as much as Welbeck but Welbeck isn't as strong defensively as Rooney. Kagawa is a weaker defensive player than Rooney also

Well no, no he doesn't. Kagawa has nowhere near the "energy levels" of Rooney

So he slowed down the tempo in a high action game away from home. What a horrendous thing to do, Pirlo slowed the game down at Celtic Park and more oftne tha not stunted his own teams counter attacks by passing backwards. Is he a poor player?

The EPL is played at a higher tempo than that game last night, he also plays further forward in the league. Completely different scenarios

He had a poor game in your eyes because he didn't do anything when he had the ball. The work he done without was good enough to help his team. How many strikers would play well if they were put on the wing and told to help track Ronaldo instead of getting forward?

Maybe the fact you're a supporter of Man U makes you harsher on the players than someone who simply doesn't care about them?

And how old are you... as Ferguson signed in 1960. And by all accounts was a greeting faced **** who wanted away

Can I put the record straight and apologise to you if I have not made my position clear.

I am a fan and not a supporter. I do not by the merchandise or contribute to the club financially, other than my tv money.

P.S. The reason Rooney was below par, appears to have been revealed.

Commentator tonight revealed he is unwell.

To be honest Hoodlum, I love football discussions on this board with posters that are willing to make an statement and back it up with reasoned opinions. You and others thought he had a poor game, Others, myself included, thought he did what was asked of him in an unfamiliar role. Discuss it and then move on to the next subject.

Unfortunately it seems there's not many left on the forum that will do that, rather make bitchy comments! :wink:

Next topic- Bobby Charlton is he past it or should he be recalled!? :laugh:

Edited by SlickDT

Can I put the record straight and apologise to you if I have not made my position clear.

I am a fan and not a supporter. I do not by the merchandise or contribute to the club financially, other than my tv money.

P.S. The reason Rooney was below par, appears to have been revealed.

Commentator tonight revealed he is unwell.

Ok. The point I was trying to make is that you probably care more about United more than me, so if a player slightly under performs then you'll pick up on it more than me. Or you'll watch more games than me in a season and see a dip in form more visibly. I'll admit I very rarely watch United game apart from CL games and Match of the Day. So to me Rooney didn't play horrifically bad and done what was expected of him. Maybe you, having seen more of him this season, seen a massive drop in performance while me, having seen less of him this season, didn't pick up on such a drop of level

To be honest Hoodlum, I love football discussions on this board with posters that are willing to make an statement and back it up with reasoned opinions. You and others thought he had a poor game, Others, myself included, thought he did what was asked of him in an unfamiliar role. Discuss it and then move on to the next subject.

Unfortunately it seems there's not many left on the forum that will do that, rather make bitchy comments! :wink:/>

Next topic- Bobby Charlton is he past it or should he be recalled!? :laugh:/>

Someone has been telling you about the time i had B. C.' s haircut ha ha.

Appreciate your comments above and like any game everyone sees it differently. Would be rather boring life if everybody had the same opinion.

Good luck.

Ok. The point I was trying to make is that you probably care more about United more than me, so if a player slightly under performs then you'll pick up on it more than me. Or you'll watch more games

than me in a season and see a dip in form more visibly. I'll admit I

very rarely watch United game apart from CL games and Match of the Day. So to me Rooney didn't play horrifically bad and done

what was expected of him. Maybe you, having seen more of him this season, seen a massive drop in performance while me, having seen less of him this season, didn't pick up on such a drop of level

Fair play to you for responding. I am not a dyed in the wool Man.U. supporter but have followed their progress with interest ( as a fan of football) since the "Busby babes".

However I am a dyed in the wool Saints fan who due to location and work commitments missed out on Saints previous Euro

escapades but made it to Turkey.

But that's another thread.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Most ridiculous thread I have seen on this forum, and there have been a few I can assure you!

Thought it was time to raise this subject again.

Obviously if newspaper reports are to be believed he is for the boot from Man. U.

Seems I have some support from elsewhere to my previous comments.

Sorry Inspiration but I will have Sir Alex's opinion over yours any day. Ha ha

I think in terms of professional footballers in the main nowadays being athletes, Rooney just doesnt have it in him. Not his fault and doesnt seem to bother him. I have no doubt he won't be playing CL footie at the same age as Ryan Giggs...for sure. He was a great player for his first few years at The Prawn Sandwich Stadium though. Fergie is shrewd, he will get rid and collect the 20M in transfer fees and re-invest.

While Rooney may not have the natural athlete physique or be able to reach the level of some of his team-mates/opponents you can not doubt how fit the guy has to be to be able to play Premiership football, we are talking very small margins here where his recovery is maybe not quite as good as others. He quite obviously is still fit enough to play Premiership football week-in-week-out and play to a decent standard, his goals and assist ratio suggest he is still very capable.

There's not many players will ever match Giggs, nor be given the chance.

I have to admit I think there may be something in the Rooney story and he may well find himself on the way out in the summer. No-one is indespinsable especially when they are on £250k a week! :laugh:

Sincere apologies in my report of what appeared in the GUTTERSNIPE press.

I realize that you should not believe everything that's printed in these FISH SUPPER wrappers.

Just heard it from the horses mouth on Sky sports news from Sir Alex.

Total boll*cks reporting.

No wonder the newspaper circulation is falling rapidly.

Do these reporting Cretins not check out the facts before publishing.

Are there any reliable football journalists left now that Jim Traynor has retired

Sorry, having a laugh with the previous paragraph.

Makes you wonder about Rachael Benitez and Arsene Wenger stories in papers.

Someone has been telling you about the time i had B. C.' s haircut ha ha.

Appreciate your comments above and like any game everyone sees it differently. Would be rather boring life if everybody had the same opinion.

Good luck.

You still have the Bobby Charlton "haircut" ----Baldy !!!