Dundee vs. Saints 30/09/06

Radford 72

We do not have the killer touch. We should be taking advantage of other teams dropping points & not being happy that at least we are no worse off than this morning. If we beat Gretna in a couple of weeks we should be top after the first round of games & this should give us the advantage with our bigger & better squad but that doesn`t dretact from the fact that we should be blowing away 10/9 men especially after going in front.

Disappointment is not the word to describe it.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The league doesn't lie- hopefully we'll be there at the top at the end.

Who would win it if we didn't?

Gretna- lost to relegation fodder Airdrie Utd.

Livi- we should have beaten them, still to play them at home where we'll win.

Dundee- Yer 'avin a giraffe mate.

St Johnstone- Champions 06/07 Gus McPherson said so 8)

Guest imported_Jamie_Beatson

I'd just like to point out that we played some fantastic football in the first half hour and could easily have been further ahead - and deservedly so at that stage.

We were awful in the second half though. Truly terrible, but even then we created better chances than Dundee (Milne forced a good save and Sheerin volleyed just over).

As BH says - we're joint top. Its frustrating that we're not ahead of Gretna and Livingston and again drawing games is proving a massive problem. Hopefully we can start taking our chances, starting with Gretna in two weeks.

What's the bet Coyle comes out with the usual pish about "not being up to our standards". He says it time and time again but never rectifies it.

So what the hell do you want him to say. We are shite we are not any good. etc what he says in public and what he does in the dressing room are two different things.

Keep sharp objects away from Radford folks!! :wink:

Hides the truth though, doesn't it?

I don't know - I haven't been to see Saints in about a month or so, but I do wonder what exactly some of you are expecting. People seem to be suggesting that based on today we don't have a chance of winning the league, but the fact is that our rivals aren't doing any better, otherwise they'd be way ahead of us. If saints aren't going to win the league, then who do you think is - because I doubt either Gretna or Livi's fans are exactly delighted about their results today either.

Things can always go either way for us at Dens - it's a derby, and because of that, our form generally seems to count for little when we're there. Add to that the fact that the Coags have picked up a bit lately and, for me, 1-1 is a perfectly acceptable result.

Aye thats it then, 3rd place, thats the league over.

Part- time football next season, only open 1 stand per home game, don't fix the scoreboard.

God sake, stop moaning and being negative. We should be top of the league outright, we will be soon.

Things can always go either way for us at Dens - it's a derby, and because of that, our form generally seems to count for little when we're there. Add to that the fact that the Coags have picked up a bit lately and, for me, 1-1 is a perfectly acceptable result.

I agree, the performance doesn't matter in derbies (although we were pony) but our whole attitude was wrong IMO. Playing against 10 men for 85 minutes, we should've been going at them time after time. They left one man up top (Andy bleedin' McLaren) so there wasn't even a need to over-commit.

1-1 was not acceptable today based on what happened in the match.

Aye thats it then, 3rd place, thats the league over.

Part- time football next season, only open 1 stand per home game, don't fix the scoreboard.

God sake, stop moaning and being negative. We should be top of the league outright, we will be soon..

What the f*ck is all that about???

it's usually me thats negative as well.

Make your f*cking mind up.

Good first half - should perhaps have been worth more than our 1 goal lead. Some neat football, 1 "goal" chalked off, 1 great save from Roy, and a reasonable penalty claim (like to see that one again...) Dundee looked all over the place at that stage - perhaps more to do with the fact they'd lost Lyle so early, because...

... we never turned up in the 2nd half. I thought taking Sheridan off was a mistake - he had been winning a lot of ball and starting a lot of moves with decent passes. Too many players switched off - Jason didn't have his best game, but when him and Savo both went off you knew we'd find it difficult to find a goal from somewhere. Time to stop pissing about with MacDonald - completely anonymous again when he came on - did he actually touch the ball?? OC has to think about having Jacko as our sub striker now. Same problem as last week - I felt we gave (what was left of!) Dundee far too much room to play - at times it was hard to see who had the 10 men. They're a hard working team and I think our lack of mobility and sharpness told today - second to just about everything in the second half. Shocking defending in the middle for the equaliser, although Sw***ie had the beating of Lawrie all afternoon. Again, McLaren looked poor when he came on, akthough be that time the whole team had forgotten how to pass the ball and find a team mate.

Managed to pull a draw from the jaws of what should have been a comfortable win. Great support as well - pity about the police going overboard though...

MoM for me, Darren Sheridan. Has looked pretty good in the last couple of games - thought OC was wrong to hook him when he did, as Lawson did f*** all in his place, and we seemed to lose a bit of bite in midfield.

Herts

Better to win one, lose one than get two draws.

Draws killed us last season.

To an extent I agree with you Radford but I think it depends who the draws (or the win) are against. Had we lost last week at Livi and won today we'd be a point behind livi now. Instead, with two draws we are level at the top with them. To me, the key is to ensure we do not lose against other potential promotion candidates.

How many of us would have been happy with two draws last saturday morning?

Just trying to sum up what the negative comments have been recently.

Don't spend 3k to fix the scoreboard, part- time football wouldn't be that bad a thing (after GB's statement we might go part- time next season) and that we should only open the Main Stand to save money on stewarding.

How about win the league then open 3 stands in the SPL? Better option is it not, 2 away games against good teams and we've come away with 2 points.

Whats wrong exactly? We can't expect to win every game we play. Draws against the pish teams cost us last season, so far we're on track.

No need to lose the head Victor, you surely knew the post was tongue in cheek? No need to be pedantic now. :idea:

No need to lose the head Victor, you surely knew the post was tongue in cheek? No need to be pedantic now. :idea:

Nope, I didnt realise it was tongue in cheek SJC. To me it looked as if you were having a go at me in particular for being negative..I sometimes think thats in the site rules!..whilst also suggesting that I had come out with all the negative points you listed. It just lit the blue touch paper im afraid. If I misread it, then I apologise for my response.

What I said may have been pedantic to some, but I agree with Radfords suggestion that coming out with some statements actually hides the truth. I just felt this was one of those occasions by saying we were joint top, when we actually arent.

I agree with you and John 1962 that the league isnt won today and I also dont think that we have a divine right to beat anybody.

I do feel though that any team playing against 10 men for 82 minutes should be expected to win.

Thats the big difference about today. I had previously stated before the game that I would have been happy with a draw, but not under the circumstances I have heard/read about today.

We could have been 2 points clear tonight and in 2 weeks time we could have been 5 ahead of Gretna. We have wasted that opportunity though and if any Saints fan isnt disappointed at that then that disappoints me.

Believe it or not, we are on the same side!

If the roles had been reversed today, and we'd lost a guy after 5 minutes, does anyone think we'd have turned in a performance (in terms of efffort and commitment) like Dundee, and have taken a point?

I wasn't there as I said earlier but I dont know if I could question our comitment in the games I have seen. Our decision making and ability maybe but not comitment.

My take on things is up at the Temple but I'm just frustrated tonight - like last week the game was there for the taking and again we've been let down by some of the team.

Hardie is useless on the right wing - if he's being played to win balls in the air it might be nice if he actually did so. Between him and Lawrie we are a shambles on the right wing - Swankie is a pretty average player (especially his diving skills which were embarrassing even for Scumdee) but Lawrie's defending at the goal was pathetic.

We have no leadership on the park - the defence looked badly organised at times (Halliwell was slow coming out for 2-3 passbacks) and Anderson and McManus seem content to either play square balls or just hoof it up the park.

There were what I'd call one-off poor performances today - Scotland, Savo and Stanic and Sheridan and Mensing (my MoM) were excellent while Ando was solid at the back and Sheerins goal was a peach. But there are too many players in the side that have under-performed too often this season.

Yes we're 3rd and unbeaten, but we know we could have been 1st and four points clear - that's why it's so depressing - especially if at the end of the season we finish only 2-3 points off the pace.

first half was braw. good passing fitba, great goal and one up against 10 men. 2nd half we blew it. too many of our better players took the foot off the gas and dundee got what they deserved. thank god airdrie won.

some silly substiutions IMO.

when it got to one all, we were clueless as to how win it. real lack of creativity at the end.

lawrie was pish and should be punted.

well pissed off but were still joint top. just