• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scores and table:

Airdrie United 0

Livingston 1 (Tweed) (McPake s/off)

Clyde 2 (McGregor, Malone)

Hamilton Academicals 1 (McArthur) (Rezgane s/off)

Dundee 1 (McGinty)

Gretna 3 (McMenamin-pen, Tosh, Jenkins)

Queen of the South 2 (Weir, O'Neill)

Ross County 0

St. Johnstone 2 (Sheerin, MacDonald)

Partick Thistle 0

Table (Team, Played, Points, Goal Diff.)

St. Johnstone 12 23 +12

Partick Thistle 12 23 -2

Gretna 12 21 +11

Hamilton Academicals 12 21 0

Livingston 12 20 +7

Clyde 12 16 0

Dundee 12 14 +1

Ross County 12 13 -8

Queen of the South 12 8 -13

Airdrie United 12 7 -10

Much more like it from Saints today as we maintained our good home record with an impressive performance against a Thistle team who also played well in the second half.

McLaren and MacDonald started for us instead of Lawson and Scotland and we took control straight away, McLaren nearly opening the scoring after MacDonald had forced an error from the Thistle defence.

The opening goal as (another) beauty from Sheerin he cracked a volley from outside the box low past Kenny Arthur. Sheerin then hit the angle of bar and post as Saints looked for a second. Thistle were struggling to get out of their own half but did Roberts did force Halliwell into a great save in their only attack of note.

Thistle looked a lot more dangerous in the second period and some of the one touch stuff between Donnelly, Young and Roberts was threatening although McManus and Anderson were superb again for us, in fact the whole back four was.

Our second goal was a superb volley from Peaso after he was played in on the right side of the box.

Thistle forced Halliwell to make a good low save then Jimmy Gibson blasted over after neat build up from Young and Donnelly.

Andy Jackson should've sealed the points but knocked just wide after being played in.

The game was played at a pretty high pace and I for one really enjoyed it. Both teams tried to play good football and Thistle showed, at times, why they've done so well but we were near enough top gear today and looked impressive.

Chris Boyle wasn't as bad as I expected. He gave a lot against Thistle but then contrived to book Sheerin and McManus for their only fouls of the game! Thistle fans probably weren't impressed by him.

Mention to Scott McCulloch too for indulging in a bit of banter. He comes over to take a throw and is met with the "you fat b'stard" taunts. One guy is standing up laying into him so McCulloch just looks at him, points and then laughs before rubbing his head, taking the piss out of the guy who was bald! Great to see!

Walking away from McD saying we should have had more than the 2 goals we got - seems to be a recurring phrase!

First half Thistle were there for the taking and they came out after the break looking to get into the game - but we mopped up most attacks well. Sheerin's goal was a 'stoater' again and he is playing the best he has for Saints just now. He's is the Wizard afterall! :wink:

McManus, Anderson and Sheerin were fantastic today - with mentions to Mensing and MacDonald (well, when he plays to the whistle and not in expectation of the whistle!!!)

From what i had read from Radford about the ref i was pleasently surprised by his performance - first half he was good and a few dodgy calls in the second half but aside from that i thought he was good.

McConnalogue is a bawbag.

I thought it was a great match today by two teams intent on playing good football. Partick played very well which makes it a very good win for us. Both goals were superb and Sheerin is turning into a star player for us. How good was his effort off the post? Great save though.

I thought we defended superbly well again and I don't think James should get in the team when he's fit unless we get injuries.

Quick mention to the keeper who had his best game for us. Some good stops and, for once, was very good at cross balls. Very calm and collected. If he can play like that more often we'll conceed very few goals.

superb result and a superb performance. halliwell was confident at cross balls, made two good saves and even his kicking was olrite. ando and mcmanus were rocks at the heart of the defense as usual. the whole team was brilliant. good crowd and all.

Can`t add anything to Radfords summery.

It was a big game for us today & enything less than a win would have left us playing catchup. If Thistle had gone 6 points ahead of us it would have given them the boost that may have taken them further. They certainly looked like they were up for it even if we did control the game & should have scored 5 or 6.

Ref was poor second half & how he could book McManus & Sheerin for one foul I don`t know but I think he may have thougt it was elbows.