St Johnstone vs Celtic - Saturday 8th October 2022

Widge

If VAR is being used properly, then it would award the goal in that case.

VAR isn't there to be a second referee, as the article suggests. They tried that in the EPL the last couple of seasons and it was a nightmare. VAR is there for seeing in the officials have made a clear and obvious error. The ex-ref says himself in the article that it's questionable but should be given. The fact it's questionable means if the ref gave a foul VAR would say foul, but if the ref said goal VAR would say goal.

That's how it works in most countries and the Champions League, and why it works well. When EPL tried overturning very decision, however questionable, it was a nightmare.

At the weekend, in the Arsenal Liverpool game on Sunday there was a handball with the defender having his arm slightly up. It probably was a penalty, but there was enough doubt to say that no penalty was an acceptable decision. So it wasn't given. In the Newcastle Brentford game, the same thing happened but the referee gave the penalty. VAR looked at it and there was enough doubt to say that a penalty was an acceptable decision. So it was given. In both cases, VAR went with the on-field decision as it wasn't clearly wrong but an acceptable decision either way..

I'd say that shirt pull is in the same position. It's down to whether the defender would have headed the ball without the pull. That's questionable enough for VAR to rule that the referee's decision was fair. If the ref had given the pull though, VAR wouldn't have overruled that either.

7 hours ago, That_Dave said:

If VAR is being used properly, then it would award the goal in that case.

VAR isn't there to be a second referee, as the article suggests. They tried that in the EPL the last couple of seasons and it was a nightmare. VAR is there for seeing in the officials have made a clear and obvious error. The ex-ref says himself in the article that it's questionable but should be given. The fact it's questionable means if the ref gave a foul VAR would say foul, but if the ref said goal VAR would say goal.

That's how it works in most countries and the Champions League, and why it works well. When EPL tried overturning very decision, however questionable, it was a nightmare.

May I point you in the direction of the first half of the Man City game or the penalty award in the Chelsea game last night…

Not a fan of it, especially when there are so many moments like these. Feel they spend far more time talking about VAR than they ever did referee’s mistakes

Edited by PSJ.84

16 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

I'm a fan of VAR. The prospect of it ****ing with the OF even just slightly fills my heart with joy.

Unfortunately we will still have OF bias so nothing will change. Some of the VAR decisions are bizarre and that with presumably European neutral refs.

Quite confident there will be even less goals against the OF when this is in place but we don't really think of getting points from those games anyway so won't have that much of an impact on Saints. My hope is that its used for clear and obvious stuff like the Aberdeen goal last season when the ball was clearly brought under control with a hand. Hopefully the right decisions get made in games where there's not much in them but one team walks away with 3 points.

50 minutes ago, Rob said:

Quite confident there will be even less goals against the OF when this is in place but we don't really think of getting points from those games anyway so won't have that much of an impact on Saints. My hope is that its used for clear and obvious stuff like the Aberdeen goal last season when the ball was clearly brought under control with a hand. Hopefully the right decisions get made in games where there's not much in them but one team walks away with 3 points.

What about this season when the wee Irishman dived and the Liverpool loanee took the kick 5 yards towards goal.

Or Muzz sending off v Hibs which should have been a yellow if the well known cheap hadn't done a triple salco.