Steven Anderson

taylorboy69

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven says himself that he's no full-back, he's played all his life (until Saints, that is) at centre-half. He showed he can play in that position in the few games he was given late last season, only for a new defence to be signed in the summer. I'd like to see him playing alongside Rutkiewicz for a few games - they're probably the two most mobile centre-halves at the club.

Rutkiewicz and Anderson the two most mobile Centres at the club ? I don't think so and i'm sure alot of fans will agree David ! Does mobile mean kicking the ball into the stands every time they get it a good thing to you ? :oops:

I know it is pretty harsh on a young guy to be giving him pelters and it will not help his confidence, but Anderson has been really bad recently and I have never rated him.

Yes, he is playing out of position and is obviously having a bit of trouble at right back - I can understand that due to the fact that he is a central defender and is more comfortable there. However, I don't think that is an excuse when he can't even get the basics right - he seems to have no awareness or any signs of a footballing brain to be able to simply pick out a player.

His mindless punts to nobody are getting increasingly frustrating and I don't think he deserves to be in the starting eleven the way he is playing at the moment. It really makes me wonder what the boys do in training. Surely not only Anderson but the other players are told what there job is and how to carry it out, yet we still punt the ball up every time instead of passing and moving. Basically the players don't want the ball like other teams do. It is unfair to single players out but Anderson is a prime example - as soon as he gets the ball he doesn't even look up and just punts it up to their keeper.

Football is a simple game. Pass & move is the basics that Saints don`t seem to have mastered.The ball goes back more than it goes forward because there is no one moving into position to take a pass. There are times when Ando & Stevo have some good interplay but you can never be sure wheather Ando has been instructed to stay back as the only time you see him supporting Stevo is 10 mins to go when we are pushing to save a game.

Baxter gone Anderson still here yet another great decision by the club :roll:

They are players who play 2 different positions :roll:

I still think Anderson is a better player.

Baxter is better at going forward and Anderson is the better defender.

He's still young, and is going through a bad spell. I fully believe it will make him a better player by the time the season is finished, especially as he is in the wrong position!

I do think Ando is a good defender.

Not many get past him, even today in a lot of one on one situations they did not beat him often.

I think he is a solid centre back and when he was played there in the past i felt he looked comfortable in there and thought he could easily play there week in week out.

His problem is obviously his passing but the crowd get on his back far too much so he is almost too scared to attempt a difficult or ambitious pass.

I would like to see him return to a centre back role.

They are players who play 2 different positions :roll:

I still think Anderson is a better player.

Baxter is better at going forward and Anderson is the better defender.

He's still young, and is going through a bad spell. I fully believe it will make him a better player by the time the season is finished, especially as he is in the wrong position!

Andersons a right back and im sure Baxter was aswell

Baxter gone Anderson still here yet another great decision by the club :roll:

Why is there this massive myth surrounding Mark Baxter?? He was alright for us, but that was all. If he's so good, why is he playing in the Third Division for Cowdenbeath? He's just one of a long line of Saints youngsters who had a good start to their careers thanks to early adrenalin, but basically just wasn't quite good enough. He's no loss.

Why is there this massive myth surrounding Mark Baxter?? He was alright for us, but that was all. If he's so good, why is he playing in the Third Division for Cowdenbeath? He's just one of a long line of Saints youngsters who had a good start to their careers thanks to early adrenalin, but basically just wasn't quite good enough. He's no loss.

I think players like Baxter and Fotheringham could of been great for the club but I don't belive we have a high enough standered of coches at our club. Thats the problem IMO ( Which is allways right )

I think players like Baxter and Fotheringham could of been great for the club but I don't belive we have a high enough standered of coches at our club. Thats the problem IMO ( Which is allways right )

I disagree with this completely Maradona. First of all, there is no way either of the players you mentioned could have ever been "great" for the club. John Paul McBride and Martin Lauchlan are the two players who had the talent to have been "greats" but not Beaky or Fotheringham.

The main problem for me (and I see this when refereeing a number of the youth games involving the professional clubs) is the attitudes of the players once they get into under 16's/17's etc. A number of players at other clubs continue to work hard and, despite a number having superb ability compared to their fellow teammates and opposition, are willing to work hard and fight for their team. Baxter, Fotheringham, King etc who have all been released have all been released not because of a lack of talent but because of their attitude as soon as they leave youth football and get into the reserves or get ideas above their station.

BH has it spot on when he talks about Beaky being where he is - especially having signed up for another season already, instead of waiting to see if a higher level club comes in for him!

IMO, I think Ando has had to put up with a lot of excessive criticism from some saints fans. He has been screamed at even when he has put in a decent performance. He was one of our better players at our 3-1 defeat against Airdrie Utd, at the start of the season, and still received pelters, more than the rest of the team. You could see he was pissed off and took it personally. He does seem to be singled out.

He is not a right back, he even says it himself.

How is a young player like him supposed to improve his form (especially when he is being played out of position) and confidence when all he get's is abuse? He is not the worst performer in the team at the moment.

IMO, I think Ando has had to put up with a lot of excessive criticism from some saints fans. He has been screamed at even when he has put in a decent performance. He was one of our better players at our 3-1 defeat against Airdrie Utd, at the start of the season, and still received pelters, more than the rest of the team. You could see he was pissed off and took it personally. He does seem to be singled out.

He is not a right back, he even says it himself.

How is a young player like him supposed to improve his form (especially when he is being played out of position) and confidence when all he get's is abuse? He is not the worst performer in the team at the moment.

You talk sense! 8)

I wasn't going to mention the 3-1 incident down at Airdrie but that pr1ck was bang out of order when he singled him out down there.

I believe if Ando's kept in the side he will come good! Obviously in either a 3-5-2 as a few of you are suggesting or by him forcing his way into centre half if one of the current two's form dips! HE IS A GOOD PLAYER.

Keep the faith (especially in Ando! :wink: ) 8)

I would have to agree that Anderson is one of the worst players I have ever seen play for Saints.

Complete nonsense, the guy isn't up to much as a right back I'll grant you but you can't tell me you weren't impresses by his performances at centre half earlier in the season and at times last year. To put him in the same class as the likes of Tommy Coyle and to not even mention Martin Buglione, Peter Fhyr, Michael O'Neil, Ian Lee and Simon Donnelly (to name but a few) is extremely harsh. I also think you're being a little harsh on John Davies - he was a little arse but he was a decent enough player for us.

To put him in the same class as the likes of Tommy Coyle and to not even mention Martin Buglione, Peter Fhyr, Michael O'Neil, Ian Lee and Simon Donnelly (to name but a few) is extremely harsh. I also think you're being a little harsh on John Davies - he was a little arse but he was a decent enough player for us.

aye john davies was alright , but i think anderson lacks a wee bit of confidence

Complete nonsense, the guy isn't up to much as a right back I'll grant you but you can't tell me you weren't impresses by his performances at centre half earlier in the season and at times last year. To put him in the same class as the likes of Tommy Coyle and to not even mention Martin Buglione, Peter Fhyr, Michael O'Neil, Ian Lee and Simon Donnelly (to name but a few) is extremely harsh. I also think you're being a little harsh on John Davies - he was a little arse but he was a decent enough player for us.

Oh come now Cheesy, Martin Buglione and Peter Fhyr were not up to much but they didn't play very often and were packed off pretty quickly. Michael O'Neil was not a bad player although he was well past it when he came to us. Simon Donnelly was a disappointment but not a bad player. Iain Lee was a reasonable enough player in the depths of the second division at the time (85/86ish??) This is all about opinions and I think it's unreasonable of you to say that my comments are complete nonsense. It pains me to say it but in my opinion Steven Anderson is not a player. I've said it before many times and I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise. Anderson is gash by any standards, yet continues to get a game.

Maybe I am being a little unkind to John Davies, I'll grant you that.